Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MSN Instant Messenger

MSN Instant Messenger

D. Young

How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

Consultant

users can change the port msn works on, so that doesnt work too well. if you
have sms deployed you can run collections looking for specific executables
then remove the IM from the offending machines

"D. Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
> specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

fmsmcse

> How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
> specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

Man, that's hard to block. I've had bad experiences when blocking the IP of
the MSN servers. Normally they are in the same sub as other MS servers,
making other resources unavailable, like the KB page.

fmsmcse

> How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
> specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

What a stupid answer I just gave, I must say I'm sorry, I don't know how to
help on this, but will research and try to help.

Consultant

if you cant answer correctly, dont post

"fmsmcse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
>> specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

> What a stupid answer I just gave, I must say I'm sorry, I don't know how
> help on this, but will research and try to help.

fmsmcse

> if you cant answer correctly, dont post

i already said im sorry.

Consultant

very well
hand

"fmsmcse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> if you cant answer correctly, dont post
>>

> i already said im sorry.

Steve Wicker

Block access to outgoing port 1863

"D. Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can MSN Instant messenger be block from firewall appliance? Are there
> specific ports I can block on outgoing traffic?

Denis Cooper

not sure on your setup here...but if you were using xp - you could block in
in the xp firewall and then set a gp to prevent changes to the xp firewall.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Steve Wicker" wrote:
> Block access to outgoing port 1863

Remember now it goes via http port, so it's sorta hard to block.