Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Building a home lab for 2006.

Building a home lab for 2006.

Neil

did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:Wy2sf.6809
$(E-Mail Removed):

> .I'm
> gonna deal with the 180 trials as they won't take me that long to do

what
> needs to get done

Cruz, blow the bank on a year of TechNet Plus and as an added bonus you
will get the betas, and they also include the stuff that is normally 180
day trials, but extended for a bit

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Sometimes the act of searching is more important than what you're
searching for.

CG101

Don't I get a deal on TechNet Plus if I'm an MCP?

--
Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified
news:Xns9739980C8B9FDneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:Wy2sf.6809
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > .I'm
> > gonna deal with the 180 trials as they won't take me that long to do

> what
> > needs to get done
> >

> Cruz, blow the bank on a year of TechNet Plus and as an added bonus you
> will get the betas, and they also include the stuff that is normally 180
> day trials, but extended for a bit
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - Sometimes the act of searching is more important than what you're
> searching for.

CG101

Just to let you know....with shipping I just bought 2 Dell Optiplex GX1 P-II
350s off of eBay that are known to be in good working order for $104. The
machines are an allusion to my old desktop support days at a now defunct
online brokage I used to work for...so it'll be like...hehehehe....old
times. Plus XP will run ok on them once I up the RAM. I might have to deal
with VMWare when I start on 2003 Server...but I'll see. Not looking for
performance...just need them to work and learn more on. They both have 128
MB (have RAM lying around to bring them up to speed) and 6.4 GB HD (I got
10-20 giggers lying around as well). For a home lab this is perfect for now.
Upon receiving the goods and if they are as advertised (the seller had high
feedback rating....), the MCSE fun can begin... I would like to share my
progress with you all and will continue to take all suggestions.
--
Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified

Neil

did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:6jmsf.8806
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Don't I get a deal on TechNet Plus if I'm an MCP?

appearently not, if the MCP private pages are to be believed. THere is
however a 30% discount on the TechNet page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...s/default.mspx

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I may have my faults, but being wrong isn't one of them.

Neil

did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in newsLqsf.11847
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I might have to deal
> with VMWare when I start on 2003 Server...but I'll see.

Microsoft's VPC will be cheaper, but you will need WAY MORE RAM, and a
processor from this millenia would be good too.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- If life is but a stage, I want better lighting.

Neil

did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in newsLqsf.11847
$(E-Mail Removed):

> and will continue to take all suggestions.

look both ways before you cross the street

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I'm mooning you now, you just can't see me.

CG101

I might be able to afford a Proliant server...but only one that was made
circa 20th century. A Compaq DL380 G2 is actually within my means...(plus we
use G2s,G3s, and G4s at work... ) Though I wouldn't shy away from a Dell
Poweredge (which if I'm lucky might get to be 21st century).

I'll put VPC on that when I'm ready for 70-290 which hopefully will be in
February...

The important thing for me though is that I'm getting 3 client machi
nes....then I might get at least one DC maybe two......if I need to get
more, then that's when virtualization will have to get done. Better this
then spending a ridiculous amount of money. Seriously can't wait to start.

--
news:Xns973A6E81C49D8neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in newsLqsf.11847
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I might have to deal
> > with VMWare when I start on 2003 Server...but I'll see.

> Microsoft's VPC will be cheaper, but you will need WAY MORE RAM, and a
> processor from this millenia would be good too.
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - If life is but a stage, I want better lighting.

CG101

It's more fun crossing blindfolded, drunk and in the middle of rush hour...

--
news:Xns973A6EA2EDE2Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in newsLqsf.11847
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > and will continue to take all suggestions.

> look both ways before you cross the street
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - I'm mooning you now, you just can't see me.

Neil

did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:dsLsf.5$l06.0
@fe11.lga:

> Seriously can't wait to start.

good luck, have fun and don't break your brain...

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- BUFFERS=20 FILES=15 2nd down, 4th quarter, 5 yards to go!