Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Is this a successful investment?

Is this a successful investment?

Alisher Sadikov

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a student from Uzbekistan and am considering to attend to Microsoft
Certified Systems Administrator courses. However, those courses can hit me
hard in the wallet and that is why I am not sure whether it is gonna be a
successful investment. Since the courses will last almost a whole year, I can
only begin working in summer. And I intend to spend this coming summer in the
USA. My question is, is it possible to find a normal job for 3 months in the
USA, I mean will the employers be ready to accept me? Also, what are my
chances with Microsoft Certificates, I mean, am I gonna be underestimated in
comparison with bachelors and to what extent? Finally, how do you evaluate
the possible job positions and salary in Uzbekistan later on?

Thank you very much in advance.

Alisher

T-Bone

"Alisher Sadikov" <Alisher http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I am a student from Uzbekistan and am considering to attend to Microsoft
> Certified Systems Administrator courses. However, those courses can hit me
> hard in the wallet and that is why I am not sure whether it is gonna be a
> successful investment.

Greetings! Depending on your learning style, you might be better off reading
the books and studying on your own. Instead of paying for courses, use the
money to set up your own home lab. This way isn' the best for everyone, but
its worth considering.

> And I intend to spend this coming summer in the
> USA. My question is, is it possible to find a normal job for 3 months in

the
> USA, I mean will the employers be ready to accept me?

Do you mean you are staying for three months (and then going home), or you
will need to find a job within three months? If you are only looking for
temporary work, there are choices available, but none of them pay very much.

> Also, what are my
> chances with Microsoft Certificates, I mean, am I gonna be underestimated

in
> comparison with bachelors and to what extent?

If you don't have any experience, a university degree would probably stand
out more than a certification. Best thing to do is do whatever you can to
get experience first. Even if its volunteer work.

> Finally, how do you evaluate
> the possible job positions and salary in Uzbekistan later on?

Sorry, can't help you there. I know sometimes the goverment offers
information on employment and average wages. Best thing to do might be to
ask around now, see what's available and what experience they are looking
for.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Alisher Sadikov

Dear T-Bone,

thanks very much indeed for your valuable response. I also consider studying
on my own a good alternative. I believe, this is exactly my learning style.
However, if I study on my own, I still have to pay for the exams, in order to
get certificates, or do you think I can do well without certificates? I still
think, probably not, cause there is a huge difference while looking for a job
whether you have Microsoft Certificates or not, is that right? Additionally,
they usually offer substantial discounts for exams for those who have
attended to courses... I am really puzzled.

Thanks again,
Alisher Sadikov

"T-Bone" wrote:

> "Alisher Sadikov" <Alisher (E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > I am a student from Uzbekistan and am considering to attend to Microsoft
> > Certified Systems Administrator courses. However, those courses can hit me
> > hard in the wallet and that is why I am not sure whether it is gonna be a
> > successful investment.

> Greetings! Depending on your learning style, you might be better off reading
> the books and studying on your own. Instead of paying for courses, use the
> money to set up your own home lab. This way isn' the best for everyone, but
> its worth considering.
>
> > And I intend to spend this coming summer in the
> > USA. My question is, is it possible to find a normal job for 3 months in

> the
> > USA, I mean will the employers be ready to accept me?

> Do you mean you are staying for three months (and then going home), or you
> will need to find a job within three months? If you are only looking for
> temporary work, there are choices available, but none of them pay very much.
>
> > Also, what are my
> > chances with Microsoft Certificates, I mean, am I gonna be underestimated

> in
> > comparison with bachelors and to what extent?

> If you don't have any experience, a university degree would probably stand
> out more than a certification. Best thing to do is do whatever you can to
> get experience first. Even if its volunteer work.
>
> > Finally, how do you evaluate
> > the possible job positions and salary in Uzbekistan later on?

> Sorry, can't help you there. I know sometimes the goverment offers
> information on employment and average wages. Best thing to do might be to
> ask around now, see what's available and what experience they are looking
> for.
> --
> T-Bone
> MCNGP XL

T-Bone

"Alisher Sadikov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> However, if I study on my own, I still have to pay for the exams, in order

> get certificates, or do you think I can do well without certificates?

Many employers consider certification a requirement for the job (even if the
certification is not directly related). Once that is out of the way, it
experience that counts.

> Additionally,
> they usually offer substantial discounts for exams for those who have
> attended to courses... I am really puzzled.

You mean "they" as in the training centre? I could see htat. If you spend a
whole lot of money taking their courses, then they'll give you a break on
the test. Again, it comes down to your preference and if you want to spend a
lot of money on training and still have no experience.

I would check witht he companies you are interested in working for and see
what kind of requirements they have.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL