Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > How many times is too many times?

How many times is too many times?

Jules W

Heya there

Odd question for you all...

How many times do you think is "too many times" to attempt and fail a test?

Or does it just mean that if someone finds out about the number of retakes
you have had make you seem a worse administrator? Or just a bad test taker?

Just noodling (got attempt number 3 at 70-290 tomorrow!! - Doh) (and then
attempt number 1 at Exchange 2003 the next day - perhaps crazy?)

Finding something in the exams is really killing me, but I don't know what!

Cheers

Jules

Jules W

Heya there Bob,

Thanks for your answers...

Well - Once again, I've missed it by 12 marks... Making it three times
unlucky, by more or less the same number of points missed - Every time I
seem to get different strenghts and weakness'. Mainly down to seeming to
revise the bits that I miss, then the knowledge falls out the other areas
(it seems).

It's very annoying and frustrating.

I hope that I'll get it on my retake.

None of the questions I had today were on my previous exams, and yet another
flawed Simulation (which makes for three so far!).

Plus one very odd one which I need to research... (About restoring NTFS
security on a security with an *.inf file which I have never seen before).

But yeah - I think I need to change my learning - But from what to what? Or
to what method?

It's been ten years since I left school / college - I've let my brain get
stagnant in the long term as I haven't done tests in all that time - I just
learn as I go!

Cheers

Jules

molsonexpert

"Jules W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heya there Bob,
>
> Thanks for your answers...
>
> Well - Once again, I've missed it by 12 marks... Making it three times
> unlucky, by more or less the same number of points missed - Every time I
> seem to get different strenghts and weakness'. Mainly down to seeming to
> revise the bits that I miss, then the knowledge falls out the other areas
> (it seems).
>
> It's very annoying and frustrating.
>
> I hope that I'll get it on my retake.
>
> None of the questions I had today were on my previous exams, and yet
> another flawed Simulation (which makes for three so far!).
>
> Plus one very odd one which I need to research... (About restoring NTFS
> security on a security with an *.inf file which I have never seen before).
>
> But yeah - I think I need to change my learning - But from what to what?
> Or to what method?
>
> It's been ten years since I left school / college - I've let my brain get
> stagnant in the long term as I haven't done tests in all that time - I
> just learn as I go!
>
> Cheers
>
> Jules

Hang in there, Jules. As someone in his late thirties who's killed more than
a few brain cells, I know it can be tough. Is this your first cert exam?
Some of it depends on your study prep, for sure, but also the whole way of
taking an exam, reading and fully understanding the question and what it's
asking. Good luck on the retake.

steve.

Briscobar

Jules W <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

Nah, just kidding. Comments inline:

> Heya there
>
> Odd question for you all...
>
> How many times do you think is "too many times" to attempt and fail a
> test?

I don't know. As far as MS is concerned, there's no limit. As far as your
peers' image and respect for you, that will probably vary from person to
person. I'd say 2 or 3. It's fine if you don't know what you need to know on
your first attempt, but if you're too dense to realize that you're not
realize that you need a significant amount of study (and real-world
experience), then maybe this business isn't for you.

> Or does it just mean that if someone finds out about the number of
> retakes you have had make you seem a worse administrator? Or just a
> bad test taker?

Again, that depends. Could be a bad test-taker after a try or two, but if
you're consistently failing the same exam, it may be time to re-evaluate
your plans, as you're clearly not grasping the concepts you need to grasp.

> Just noodling (got attempt number 3 at 70-290 tomorrow!! - Doh)

I hope you studied and actually used the product, after realizing which
portions of the exam you need more knowledge in.

> (and
> then attempt number 1 at Exchange 2003 the next day - perhaps crazy?)

Perhaps...but good luck anyway.

> Finding something in the exams is really killing me, but I don't know
> what!

????? What?

--
KB

MCNGP #26
To the window! To the wall! Till the sweat drop down my
www.mcngp.com....