Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-290 or 70-291

70-290 or 70-291

MCSA Wannabe

I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also did
the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy the
elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a week of
intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).

I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly inadequate.
I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch and go
all the way.

I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and concepts
and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.

The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in generalities.
Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"

At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home network/sim
environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150 created
nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is very
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rrodri

"MCSA Wannabe" wrote:

> I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also did
> the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy the
> elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a week of
> intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).
>
> I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly inadequate.
> I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch and go
> all the way.
>
> I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
> strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and concepts
> and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.
>
> The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
> technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in generalities.
> Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
> discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
> like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"
>
> At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
> suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
> cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
> study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home network/sim
> environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150 created
> nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Im in the same predicament, my main source of studying for the 290 and 291
exams are the MS books and installing the 2003 enterprise server(evaluation)
on a partition for hands on training. I agree about the MS books, i find it
ill equip for the exam, I used Sybex and passport for 270.

someguy

Love the Syngress Books. Give them a try.

someguy

"Rrodri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MCSA Wannabe" wrote:
>
>> I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also
>> did
>> the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy
>> the
>> elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a
>> week of
>> intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).
>>
>> I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly
>> inadequate.
>> I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch
>> and go
>> all the way.
>>
>> I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
>> strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and
>> concepts
>> and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.
>>
>> The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
>> technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in
>> generalities.
>> Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
>> discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
>> like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"
>>
>> At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
>> suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
>> cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
>> study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home
>> network/sim
>> environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150
>> created
>> nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is
>> very
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

> Im in the same predicament, my main source of studying for the 290 and 291
> exams are the MS books and installing the 2003 enterprise
> server(evaluation)
> on a partition for hands on training. I agree about the MS books, i find
> it
> ill equip for the exam, I used Sybex and passport for 270.

Acronyms_Are_Evil

someguy wrote:
> Love the Syngress Books. Give them a try.
>
> someguy
>
> "Rrodri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>"MCSA Wannabe" wrote:
>>

>>>I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also
>>>did
>>>the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy
>>>the
>>>elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a
>>>week of
>>>intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).
>>>
>>>I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly
>>>inadequate.
>>>I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch
>>>and go
>>>all the way.
>>>
>>>I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
>>>strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and
>>>concepts
>>>and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.
>>>
>>>The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
>>>technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in
>>>generalities.
>>> Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
>>>discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
>>>like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"
>>>
>>>At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
>>>suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
>>>cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
>>>study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home
>>>network/sim
>>>environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150
>>>created
>>>nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is
>>>very
>>>appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance!

>>Im in the same predicament, my main source of studying for the 290 and 291
>>exams are the MS books and installing the 2003 enterprise
>>server(evaluation)
>>on a partition for hands on training. I agree about the MS books, i find
>>it
>>ill equip for the exam, I used Sybex and passport for 270.

I have also heard the exam cram2 books are really good