Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-292 or 70-290 & 70-291

70-292 or 70-290 & 70-291

Stu Cousins

Hi. Hope you guys can give me some advice please.

i recently got my W2K MCSA and am looking to go for Win 2003 MCSE.
Microsoft state that I must take, for the networking requirement, either
upgrade exam 70-292 or 70-290 and 70-291.

I've heard 70-292 is real tough so I'm thinking of doing the two other
exams?

What do you guys think?

Mark

Be a man about the thing, take 292. Take advantage of your 2nd attempt free
should you need it. If there was no difficulty in taking a shortcut, it
wouldnt be a shortcut, it would just be 'the way'!!!

Mark.

Victor Guillen

Have you taken the 292 already?
I'm MCSA on 2000, but I'll take the other two instead of 292

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Be a man about the thing, take 292. Take advantage of your 2nd attempt
> free
> should you need it. If there was no difficulty in taking a shortcut, it
> wouldnt be a shortcut, it would just be 'the way'!!!
>
> Mark.

Stu Cousins

I've not taken 292 yet but I'll probably do that. Thanks for your help guys
and does anyone know of any good study guides for 292? I could mention
Testkings and Troytechs but I'd get slated on here! Haha. Just kiddin'!

"Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you taken the 292 already?
> I'm MCSA on 2000, but I'll take the other two instead of 292
>
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Be a man about the thing, take 292. Take advantage of your 2nd attempt
>> free
>> should you need it. If there was no difficulty in taking a shortcut, it
>> wouldnt be a shortcut, it would just be 'the way'!!!
>>
>> Mark.

Mark

Im reading the big Microsoft Upgrade book (1400 odd pages), its pretty good
so it is - very different to previous books ive read as it assumes quite a
lot of knowledge and focuses mainly on the new 2003 features.

I would reckon there are some holes in it, the later chapters seem to be
quite weak i.e. the recovery chapter seems very short to cover ASR and Shadow
Volumes and things like that. Ive been doing most of the stuff on VMWare
which is pretty nifty too for running a couple of servers and completing the
hands on labs at the end of each chapter.

I think i will spend the next few weeks focusing on KB articles from
Microsoft on advanced SUS setups, Command line tools (DSADD / DSQuery / CSVDE
/ NTDSUtil / NSlookup / Secedit), setting up wireless authentication & VPNs.

I would also recommend checking out some of the webcasts that microsoft
recently produced around Windows 2003 Administration:

http://www.microsoft.com/events/seri...2003admin.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx

Although the information may not be the most detailed, there is some gold in
there. They may not be complete as the study guides but are a different
approach and often the information sinks in easier than just simply reading
chapter after chapter, my $0.02 anyway!!!

Also do a search on the newsgroup for 70-292 and you will find a lot of
useful information and focus areas including this thread which i find
particularly useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/co...4-c104dd7f1659

Good Luck!!!
Mark.

Stu Cousins

Many thanks for that Mark. I've orderd the Syngress book for 70-292 which
I've heard is pretty good. I'll be looking through Technet for a lot of
info and I've spent half my life on these newsgroups since discovering them
several months ago!

Cheers,

Stu

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im reading the big Microsoft Upgrade book (1400 odd pages), its pretty
> good
> so it is - very different to previous books ive read as it assumes quite a
> lot of knowledge and focuses mainly on the new 2003 features.
>
> I would reckon there are some holes in it, the later chapters seem to be
> quite weak i.e. the recovery chapter seems very short to cover ASR and
> Shadow
> Volumes and things like that. Ive been doing most of the stuff on VMWare
> which is pretty nifty too for running a couple of servers and completing
> the
> hands on labs at the end of each chapter.
>
> I think i will spend the next few weeks focusing on KB articles from
> Microsoft on advanced SUS setups, Command line tools (DSADD / DSQuery /
> CSVDE
> / NTDSUtil / NSlookup / Secedit), setting up wireless authentication &
> VPNs.
>
> I would also recommend checking out some of the webcasts that microsoft
> recently produced around Windows 2003 Administration:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/events/seri...2003admin.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx
>
> Although the information may not be the most detailed, there is some gold
> in
> there. They may not be complete as the study guides but are a different
> approach and often the information sinks in easier than just simply
> reading
> chapter after chapter, my $0.02 anyway!!!
>
> Also do a search on the newsgroup for 70-292 and you will find a lot of
> useful information and focus areas including this thread which i find
> particularly useful:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/co...4-c104dd7f1659
>
> Good Luck!!!
> Mark.

Stu Cousins

Thanks for your help on that Mark.

I've ordered the Syngress book on MCSA 2000 -> MCSA 2003 after reading some
good reviews on it. I completed my MCSA in W2K a few weeks ago and using
these newsgroups has really helped. I've got a copy of the skill matrix for
the exam and I'm hoping Microsoft haven't "move the goalposts" and put a
load of stuff in the exam that isn't listed in the matrix!!

Cheers and good luck with your exam!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im reading the big Microsoft Upgrade book (1400 odd pages), its pretty
> good
> so it is - very different to previous books ive read as it assumes quite a
> lot of knowledge and focuses mainly on the new 2003 features.
>
> I would reckon there are some holes in it, the later chapters seem to be
> quite weak i.e. the recovery chapter seems very short to cover ASR and
> Shadow
> Volumes and things like that. Ive been doing most of the stuff on VMWare
> which is pretty nifty too for running a couple of servers and completing
> the
> hands on labs at the end of each chapter.
>
> I think i will spend the next few weeks focusing on KB articles from
> Microsoft on advanced SUS setups, Command line tools (DSADD / DSQuery /
> CSVDE
> / NTDSUtil / NSlookup / Secedit), setting up wireless authentication &
> VPNs.
>
> I would also recommend checking out some of the webcasts that microsoft
> recently produced around Windows 2003 Administration:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/events/seri...2003admin.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx
>
> Although the information may not be the most detailed, there is some gold
> in
> there. They may not be complete as the study guides but are a different
> approach and often the information sinks in easier than just simply
> reading
> chapter after chapter, my $0.02 anyway!!!
>
> Also do a search on the newsgroup for 70-292 and you will find a lot of
> useful information and focus areas including this thread which i find
> particularly useful:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/co...4-c104dd7f1659
>
> Good Luck!!!
> Mark.

mattb

if you actually know 2000 and the new 2003 stuff then the 292 falls down... i
took 292 the day it came out, (2003), and the also the 296, and passed them
both, first shot, based 80% on my 100% 2000 knowledge...