Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > RAID-5 Controller Question

RAID-5 Controller Question

SagaBoi17

In a RAID-5 Array, is it a must to have only 1 disk controller for all disks
in the array, or is having 1 disk controller for each disk aloud?
--
Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student

Armen Kirakosyan

How I understand you described
hardware based RAID-5
but there also possible to setup software based RAID-5
in this way you can join disks how you want and setup software based RAID-5

"fReLuZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7ucsg$f51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SagaBoi17 napisal(a):
>> In a RAID-5 Array, is it a must to have only 1 disk controller for all
>> disks in the array, or is having 1 disk controller for each disk aloud?

> Usualy you connect RAID controler like this:
>
> Raid controler-----disk1-----disk2---disk3----disk4
>

> At the first device eg. Raid Controller and at the last device eg. disk4
> you should set termination (usually by jumper).
>
> Some devices have autotermination option and you do not have worry about
> it.

storm warden

Personally if you were to set up a raid system i woud stick with the hardware
controller option and let it to the donky work. If you use a software option
then you are putting more load onto the CPU.

1 Conroller Per array

The same goes with motherbords that provide onbord raid. It is easier to
swap out a controller than a motherboard plus if your motherbard goes
pairshape you may not be able to get your array back Of course if you are
going to do any maintainace you would back ithe info stored 1st.

SagaBoi17

Thianks guyz, so I'll take it as when there is a Hardware RAID 5, 1
controller is needed only for many disks.

Where there is a software RAID 5, it doesn't matter how many controllers are
used, because it displays all the disks as 1 to the OS, when created.
--

"storm warden" wrote:

> Personally if you were to set up a raid system i woud stick with the hardware
> controller option and let it to the donky work. If you use a software option
> then you are putting more load onto the CPU.
>
> 1 Conroller Per array
>
> The same goes with motherbords that provide onbord raid. It is easier to
> swap out a controller than a motherboard plus if your motherbard goes
> pairshape you may not be able to get your array back Of course if you are
> going to do any maintainace you would back ithe info stored 1st.

Armen Kirakosyan

No no
when it is hardware RAID - in this way windows shows it as single disk

in software RAID you can maintain and setup your RAID from Disk Management

news:(E-Mail Removed)...