Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA on a budget

MCSA on a budget

Helpme

Hi guys,

I'm doing self-study to get my MCSA because my company doesn't want to pay
for it. I was looking into the certification tracks by Transcender since I
heard some good reviews about it, but even that is too expensive. They are
$1000+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which study guides are good
and reliable?

Thanks!

Zworkin

I feel your pain. I have worked for companies that do not compensate
employees working to better themselves. I too started my certifications on
my own budget long ago, back when Windows 95 was the hardest test M$ had.
(Any of you shout Grandpa, I'll kick your whiny A$$es).

Anyhow, still kicking the certs around... I have managed to accumulate a lot
of free references.

these are all FREE...

MCSA Certification requirements page:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/default.aspx
MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/

Google: www.google.com:

What Lab's you say?...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tra...b/default.mspx

Virtual Server Eval (180 Days)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx

Windows server 2003 Eval (180 Days)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx

Windows Server System Trial Software

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx

Also, if you purchase ISBN: 0735621527, MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit
(Exam 70-270): Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows
XP Professional, Second Edition. You get an eval (120 Day) of XP with
SP2...

Or

IMO you can install virtual server load up XP Pro reusing the key, just not
activating it, use it for 30 days (trial) then dump it.

Or

Buy a copy...

Now to answer your practice test question... They are over rated, but they
may give you a better feeling before walking in the door of the testing
center.

Call the testing center. My VUE center here offers a practice test prior to
the actual test. It's Transcender, I believe, but if you don't pass that
they recommend you reschedule your exam, and study more. Of course they
offer you the next Training class (for a small fee of $1500-$2000) available
also, but.....

Spend some time in here and on the other public MS sites pertaining to the
topics of study, and you should be able to move along greatly. Remember the
free tools, including google... It will save you the embarrassment of
posting embarrassing posts.

A word of friendly advice...

-No one likes a cheater.
-If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.

Consider yourself warned.
-z

"Helpme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm doing self-study to get my MCSA because my company doesn't want to pay
> for it. I was looking into the certification tracks by Transcender since

> heard some good reviews about it, but even that is too expensive. They are
> $1000+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which study guides are

good
> and reliable?
>
> Thanks!

Anfeargneas

If you can get your hands on the MOC as well, there are references in the
notes to various white papers, that I found invaluable.
Also, Zworkin, how can you cheat on the exams? It is surely impossible?

"Zworkin" wrote:

> [...]
>

> Spend some time in here and on the other public MS sites pertaining to the
> topics of study, and you should be able to move along greatly. Remember the
> free tools, including google... It will save you the embarrassment of
> posting embarrassing posts.
>

> A word of friendly advice...
>
> -No one likes a cheater.
> -If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.
>
> Consider yourself warned.
> -z
>
> "Helpme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm doing self-study to get my MCSA because my company doesn't want to pay
> > for it. I was looking into the certification tracks by Transcender since

> > heard some good reviews about it, but even that is too expensive. They are
> > $1000+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which study guides are

Zworkin

I don't feel the need to start yet another long unproductive debate on the
use of dump sites and certification prep test/guides that basically provide
information specific to actual test questions.

The NT 4.0 MCSE value was very high when I first did the cert. A few years
later I might as well have signed my own certificate taped it up on the "I
love myself wall" stamped it on my resume and call myself certified. The
2000 track was hyped as a new life for the MCSE, however it too fell into
the same pit or "dumps" that plagued the 4.0 MCSE. However the cert did get
a bit harder. The average web surfer couldn't pass, other people didn't
need to upgrade because they had gotten into the field, "**** on the cert,
who needs it? Doesn't prove anything anyway..."

I see the point of the MCNGP group's rowdy way of trying to keep the cert's
value valuable. We all, or most of us, invest personal time money and pride
in attaining these cert's. Why should a "cheater" stand shoulder to
shoulder with me?

The cheater didn't earn the right to be the go to guy. The cheater took the
easy road, clicking on link after link to get the answers. I spent time
away from my family and friends, locked in my home lab loading software,
configuring servers and host to act and do things that you know would never
really be done in the real world. Break the damn thing, see how stupid the
thing acts and then fix it piece by piece, all the time keeping an eye on
the overall test objectives.

Everyone looks and wants a piece of the salary survey's that are posted all
over the web. MCP's make this much, MCSE's make that much, CCIE's make the
most.... Look at the figures, then look at which cert's are the easies to
achieve cheating or not. What job would be the easiest to fake the funk?
I don't see how anyone could cheat and get a job presumably on the fact that
they know or can demonstrate proficiency at MCSE level. Walk in the door
the first day must scare the pants off them. How could they feel good about
what they've done? I'd be worried that if something broke, simple or not,
what if I couldn't fix it. Granted nothing that brakes is usually a test
objective, at least in my environment.

As I mentioned in a prior post, I have fired MCSE's. Not the good ones of
course, those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is broke and
the go to guy staying late to fix it), the go to guy is worth his salt. If
it's me then let's Rock-n-Roll, if it's you then you decide which path to
take...

-z

"Anfeargneas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

the
> > free tools, including google... It will save you the embarrassment of
> > posting embarrassing posts.
> >

> > A word of friendly advice...
> >
> > -No one likes a cheater.
> > -If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.
> >
> > Consider yourself warned.
> > -z
> >
> > "Helpme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I'm doing self-study to get my MCSA because my company doesn't want to

pay
> > > for it. I was looking into the certification tracks by Transcender

since
> > > heard some good reviews about it, but even that is too expensive. They

are
> > > $1000+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which study guides are

JaR

In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Zworkin expostulated for all the
world to hear;

> those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
> the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is
> broke and the go to guy staying late to fix it),

Amen.

And there won't be dumps to help, because what's borked wasn't covered by
the exam.

--
JaR
Thug 10110

Anfeargneas

Guys, excuse my naivety on this subject, I thought that it took a lot of hard
work to pass the MCP's. I done and passed my last MCP for my MCSA today, I've
spent 7 months studying for them, that a lot of time away from my 3 young
children. I did encounter a few people on my travels who would tell me that
they done some of the MCP exams in 10 - 15 minutes, this is surely
impossible? Anyway, even if someone attains an MCSA or MCSE, they'll be found
out very quickly in a job, but I do sympathise with the point that it
devalues the amount of work we put into them.
Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?

"JaR" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Zworkin expostulated for all the
> world to hear;
>
> > those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
> > the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is
> > broke and the go to guy staying late to fix it),

> Amen.
>
> And there won't be dumps to help, because what's borked wasn't covered by
> the exam.
>
> --
> JaR
> Thug 10110
> Click on MCNGP.com if you can take the heat!

Briscobar

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Anfeargneas <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
> Guys, excuse my naivety on this subject, I thought that it took a lot
> of hard work to pass the MCP's.

To pass the exams should be relatively easy. The misconception is people try
to take the exams before they're ready. And by "ready", I mean "spent
significant time in the field." MS exams can (and routinely are) passed by
people who do nothing more than read a book and build a home network. Fine.
But they're intended for the professional who's been working with the
product for a while (most exams suggest a year, but that's only a general
guideline). The exams aren't intended for a "noob" to pass, thus stuffing
his resume with intelligent-sounding letters after his name. That's what
happens, but that's not what MS intended.

> I done and passed my last MCP for my
> MCSA today,

Congratulations, then!

> I've spent 7 months studying for them, that a lot of time
> away from my 3 young children.

This is "proper" studying. I'm assuming you've scoured the web, bought
various books, and built a home network, rather than just hopping over to
one of the braindump sites? Good job.

> I did encounter a few people on my
> travels who would tell me that they done some of the MCP exams in 10
> - 15 minutes, this is surely impossible?

Oh no, it's highly possible. Wrong, immoral, and cheating, but possible. The
people that can do this are one of two things:
1) Insanely smart and fast readers.
2) Braindumpers who know the questions that will be asked before they even
walk into the testing center.

Take a wild guess as to which is more likely.

> Anyway, even if someone
> attains an MCSA or MCSE, they'll be found out very quickly in a job,

One would think...it doesn't always happen, but frequently it does. And I
love reading stories about people's awful coworkers. The sad thing is, the
dumpers/cheaters/other random vile scum don't bother thinking this far
ahead. Their mindset stops after they hit the "Pass 070-xxx" step. When in
all reality, they should be working on getting (and holding) a job. MS certs
(and others) aren't surefire "Proceed to Go, collect $200" cards. They may
mean an interview, but they're not going to get you a job. Skills get you
the job. You need both - cheaters only have one. That's why they often don't
get jobs and become bitter. And if they do get jobs, they frequently tank.
Although I know a guy who dumped through the exams a few years back, got a
job, and now he's probably the most knowledgeable IT guy I know. Of course,
it doesnt' excuse the cheating, but he was willing to put in the hard work
on the company's dime, not his own. I can respect that, but not the way he
went about it. Anyway, yeah, they usually get found out, and the good techs
advance.

> Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?

MS rolled out its new simulation exams recently. These make it significantly
harder to cheat on, as they're more like Cisco's exams now - they have a
practical element as opposed to straight theory. Only time will tell if this
will restore the MCSE (and others) to ther former glory, or if they'll just
be wasted time and money, as they've been for a few years now. Whatever the
outcome, I don't think the simulations can *hurt* the cert(s), so that's a
good thing.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Sometimes, I feel that www.mcngp.com isn't treating me with the respect
I deserve.

Zworkin

Interesting movie quote... "Life will find a way" -Jurrasic Park (my kids
could tell you which one of the 3 but...)

-point being cheaters will also find a way.

You would hope that some how in the HR process, the people that would be
working with the new individual may be able to speak to this prospect to
accertain abilities. However, I've worked in places that just drop someone
in. Your also right in that people will be found out soon enough. Problem
is, some IT shops are big, these types of people sit back in the corner
keeping thier head low as they walk out the door at the end of everyday,
while co-workers are still solving the problem of the day. Everyone knows
the IT industry has never followed the norm. emplyee's dedicating 20-30 yrs
in one company. Soon this guy moves on to a new job stamps on his resume
the job functions of his co-workers.

I've seen it. We hired a guy that was suppose to be "speciallized" or
hands-on expeienced with major migrations. Come to find out this guy was in
a company that was migrated from NT -> 2K, but never did anything with the
migration. This particular contract didn't allow us time to swap or fire
the guy so we moved along without this guy's "experienced" knowledge. We
made the best of the deal, but he got a healthy paycheck based on his
"expeienced" knowledge. He's now expeirenced and I might add learned a lot
in 3 months, but who knows what he's got on his resume now?

This is just an example of one of the MCSE's I had to deal with. I have
since moved on from that company, however they still contact me to provide
feedback of an interview. Thier HR is wary of the title MCSE or cert's in
general. They don't put the faith in the cert, that was created to set
"Certified Professionals" apart from Joe Smo the IT guy dinosaur.

-z

"Anfeargneas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Guys, excuse my naivety on this subject, I thought that it took a lot of

hard
> work to pass the MCP's. I done and passed my last MCP for my MCSA today,

I've
> spent 7 months studying for them, that a lot of time away from my 3 young
> children. I did encounter a few people on my travels who would tell me

that
> they done some of the MCP exams in 10 - 15 minutes, this is surely
> impossible? Anyway, even if someone attains an MCSA or MCSE, they'll be

found
> out very quickly in a job, but I do sympathise with the point that it
> devalues the amount of work we put into them.
> Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?
>
> "JaR" wrote:
>
> > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Zworkin expostulated for all the
> > world to hear;
> >
> > > those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
> > > the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is
> > > broke and the go to guy staying late to fix it),

> > Amen.
> >
> > And there won't be dumps to help, because what's borked wasn't covered

by
> > the exam.
> >
> > --
> > JaR
> > Thug 10110
> > Click on MCNGP.com if you can take the heat!

Darrick West

I agree. I got my MCP in 2000 back in January 2004. I waited until I got
some more real work experience before taking and passing 70-215 with an 820
today. Though I passed the test, I know my weaknesses. They involve
features of the OS I will probably never get to use at my current employer,
that being remote access. I have no choice but to experiment with RAS in my
2 PC lab at home which also includes some virtual machines.

I hope I don't get flamed, but the new VMware Worstation 5 is far better
than Microsoft's VirtualPC 2004. I own both.

I don't what to be a paper MCSA/MCSE. If I have to do some voluntery work
to get the experience, I'll do it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> on the company's dime, not his own. I can respect that, but not the way he
> went about it. Anyway, yeah, they usually get found out, and the good
> techs
> advance.
>
>> Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?

> MS rolled out its new simulation exams recently. These make it
> significantly
> harder to cheat on, as they're more like Cisco's exams now - they have a
> practical element as opposed to straight theory. Only time will tell if
> this
> will restore the MCSE (and others) to ther former glory, or if they'll
> just
> be wasted time and money, as they've been for a few years now. Whatever
> the
> outcome, I don't think the simulations can *hurt* the cert(s), so that's a

Briscobar

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Darrick West <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
> I agree. I got my MCP in 2000 back in January 2004. I waited until
> I got some more real work experience before taking and passing 70-215
> with an 820 today. Though I passed the test, I know my weaknesses.
> They involve features of the OS I will probably never get to use at
> my current employer, that being remote access. I have no choice but
> to experiment with RAS in my 2 PC lab at home which also includes
> some virtual machines.

I think that's commendable. Waiting until you have actual experience to take
the exams is how MS intended it. Whether that's best for the MCSE community
or not, I have no idea, but it's the direction Microsoft wanted the certs to
go.

> I hope I don't get flamed, but the new VMware Worstation 5 is far
> better than Microsoft's VirtualPC 2004. I own both.

Eh, you may start a little argument, but considering you've used both, it's
going to be hard to sway your opinion.

> I don't what to be a paper MCSA/MCSE. If I have to do some voluntery
> work to get the experience, I'll do it.

That's the spirit. Very commendable. Keep it up, and good luck.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

www.mcngp.com's milkshake is better than yours.

Re: Building a budget Test Lab for MCSA roadster1_98 MCSA 0 01-24-2006 10:26 PM
mcsa(e) win 2000 AFTER mcsa(e) 2003? tomek MCSE 10 09-09-2005 08:38 PM
MCSE (No MCSA) - Windows 2000 does passing 70-292 give you MCSA inWindows 2003? Kent A MCSE 3 01-19-2004 07:37 AM
Low-budget MCSA Bob MCSA 6 11-04-2003 06:29 PM
Low Budget MCSA Bryan Debnam MCSA 0 10-08-2003 03:54 AM

Advertisments