Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Password Policy in Windows Server 2003

Password Policy in Windows Server 2003

Just a quick question:
Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to be set in
the Default Domain Policies?
Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you cannot set
Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to an OU and
I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies overwrite them?

kuky

NO......

"a" wrote:

> Just a quick question:
> Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to be set in
> the Default Domain Policies?
> Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you cannot set
> Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to an OU and
> I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies overwrite them?

No, you can't set the policies at OU level?
or
No, the domain policies don't write them over?

"kuky" wrote:

> NO......
>
> "a" wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question:
> > Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to be set in
> > the Default Domain Policies?
> > Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you cannot set
> > Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to an OU and
> > I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies overwrite them?

Orin Thomas

On Thu, 12 May 2005 05:21:02 -0700, a wrote:

> Just a quick question:
> Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to be set in
> the Default Domain Policies?
> Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you cannot set
> Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to an OU and
> I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies overwrite them?

Password policies are only relevant at the domain level. You
can set them at other levels (such as a GPO assigned to an OU or site),
but these settings will be ignored. If you want two sets of users to have
different password policies, you'll need to put them in different domains.

Orin
http://www.certtutor.net

blastingfonda

Orin Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 05:21:02 -0700, a wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question:
> > Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to

be set in
> > the Default Domain Policies?
> > Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you

cannot set
> > Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to

an OU and
> > I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies

overwrite them?

> Password policies are only relevant at the domain level. You
> can set them at other levels (such as a GPO assigned to an OU or

site),
> but these settings will be ignored. If you want two sets of users to

have
> different password policies, you'll need to put them in different

domains.

> Orin
> http://www.certtutor.net

Orin -

You're probably aware of this but the Readiness Review Suite that ships
with your 70-290 book is riddled with errors. I tried to notify MS
Press, they forwarded me the contact info for MeasureUp. I notified
MeasureUp and they said it was Microsoft's deal -- MeasureUp just
develops the test engine.

I'm only mentioning this to you cause I'm sure you could fire an e-mail
to somebody and let them know. The book & suite's been out for two
years now and it's about time someone got around to putting out a
downloadable patch that fixes the errors.

Oh, and wanted to mention that your 70-290 book was easily the best
study aid MS Press puts out.

- bf

Thanks for the answer Orin.
Are you the writer of the 070-290 Microsoft Press book?

"blastingfonda" wrote:

> Orin Thomas wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 May 2005 05:21:02 -0700, a wrote:
> >
> > > Just a quick question:
> > > Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to

> be set in
> > > the Default Domain Policies?
> > > Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you

> cannot set
> > > Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to

> an OU and
> > > I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies

> overwrite them?
> >
> > Password policies are only relevant at the domain level. You
> > can set them at other levels (such as a GPO assigned to an OU or

> site),
> > but these settings will be ignored. If you want two sets of users to

> have
> > different password policies, you'll need to put them in different

> domains.
> >
> > Orin
> > http://www.certtutor.net

> Orin -
>
> You're probably aware of this but the Readiness Review Suite that ships
> with your 70-290 book is riddled with errors. I tried to notify MS
> Press, they forwarded me the contact info for MeasureUp. I notified
> MeasureUp and they said it was Microsoft's deal -- MeasureUp just
> develops the test engine.
>
> I'm only mentioning this to you cause I'm sure you could fire an e-mail
> to somebody and let them know. The book & suite's been out for two
> years now and it's about time someone got around to putting out a
> downloadable patch that fixes the errors.
>
> Oh, and wanted to mention that your 70-290 book was easily the best
> study aid MS Press puts out.
>
> - bf

Why didn't I hear about the www.certtutor.net earlier?

By the way I found contradictions between Part 1 and Part 2 of the book (the
objective questions and the lessons).
And the corrections on the Microsoft Press site don't include everything.

wongcna

I think password policy related to security policy so it need to apply on
Domain level.

However, if password policy is only affect the local user account (not
domain user), then you can apply on OU level.

@__@!

"a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a quick question:
> Can you set Password and Account Policies OU level or they have to be set
> in
> the Default Domain Policies?
> Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite confused me, they say you cannot
> set
> Password Policies at OU level but I tried to add a Group Policy to an OU
> and
> I was beable to set these settings. Will the Domain Policies overwrite
> them?

Orin Thomas

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:19:35 -0700, blastingfonda wrote:

> Orin -
>
> You're probably aware of this but the Readiness Review Suite that ships
> with your 70-290 book is riddled with errors. I tried to notify MS
> Press, they forwarded me the contact info for MeasureUp. I notified
> MeasureUp and they said it was Microsoft's deal -- MeasureUp just
> develops the test engine.
>
> I'm only mentioning this to you cause I'm sure you could fire an e-mail
> to somebody and let them know. The book & suite's been out for two
> years now and it's about time someone got around to putting out a
> downloadable patch that fixes the errors.

By far the largest number of complaints I've heard have been about the
readiness review suite (not just with this particular title). From what
I've heard this is definitely being addressed in future TK.

> Oh, and wanted to mention that your 70-290 book was easily the best
> study aid MS Press puts out.

Thanks. Of the ones that I've worked on so far, I think the 299 and the
350 books probably came out the best. There are a few things that I'd
change about the 290 book if a second edition is published - include EMS
and something on Admin Scripting which aren't in the book, but are likely
to turn up on test day.

Orin

Orin Thomas

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:46:01 -0700, a wrote:

> Why didn't I hear about the www.certtutor.net earlier?
>

> By the way I found contradictions between Part 1 and Part 2 of the book (the
> objective questions and the lessons).
> And the corrections on the Microsoft Press site don't include everything.

Yes, that's me.

If you forward me a list - I'll see what I can do about getting it to the
appropriate person.

Orin