Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Simulations a failed experiment

Simulations a failed experiment

Scott B

I recently took the 290 and 291 exams and found that the
simulations were severly flawed. I received VBscript
errors in the middle of the simulations and do not know if
the questions were scored properly because of this. At
one point everyone who was taking the 291 exam in the room
had their tests error at the same exact time and the
proctor had to restore all of them but the ones that would
not recover. Of course I was one of them and now I have
to retake the test even though I was over half way done
with the test. The simulations would not allow you to
test what you had setup like you can in the real world.
Also there was only one way that you were allowed to set
something up. You were unable to set things up some of
the ways that you would in the real world. For example
anytime you clicked start run and typed ******.msc you
would get an error. Several people got out of the exam
and went to their own labs and stated that everything they
tried to do in the simulation that failed worked in their
home lab. I would suggest NOT taking these exams until
they repair them. Those of you who are interested in
Microsofts history with simulation exams should look up
what happened when they tried to do this with IIS 4.0.
Also not a single person who took the test the same time
as me passed. Everyone failed and all of us have been
doing this for quite awhile and already have a number of
certifications under our belts. We all beleived that the
simulations were the cause of our failures. Then the
answer from Microsoft after my complaint about the test
was that it is the testing centers fault and you need to
contact them. I highly doubt that it is their problem.

molsonexpert

"Scott B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05ff01c54448$fad738b0$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snippy>

A cynic like myself would suggest the pairing of Microsoft's re-take offer
and the release of the simulation exams is not a coincidence.

steve.

T-Bone

"molsonexpert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> A cynic like myself would suggest the pairing of Microsoft's re-take offer
> and the release of the simulation exams is not a coincidence.

Technical problems notwithstanding, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these
simulations are amongst the beta questions that MS slips into the exams from
time to time.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Littlelegs

I wonder if the testing site was upto par on their equipment. I work at
Career College that also is a Prometric testing site. We recently had to
upgrade our exam machines to 2.4MHz, 256Mb (Min), etc... in order to comply
with the technical requirements of the new 29X exams. I wrote today and had
no problems with the sims.

"Scott B" wrote:

> I recently took the 290 and 291 exams and found that the
> simulations were severly flawed. I received VBscript
> errors in the middle of the simulations and do not know if
> the questions were scored properly because of this. At
> one point everyone who was taking the 291 exam in the room
> had their tests error at the same exact time and the
> proctor had to restore all of them but the ones that would
> not recover. Of course I was one of them and now I have
> to retake the test even though I was over half way done
> with the test. The simulations would not allow you to
> test what you had setup like you can in the real world.
> Also there was only one way that you were allowed to set
> something up. You were unable to set things up some of
> the ways that you would in the real world. For example
> anytime you clicked start run and typed ******.msc you
> would get an error. Several people got out of the exam
> and went to their own labs and stated that everything they
> tried to do in the simulation that failed worked in their
> home lab. I would suggest NOT taking these exams until
> they repair them. Those of you who are interested in
> Microsofts history with simulation exams should look up
> what happened when they tried to do this with IIS 4.0.
> Also not a single person who took the test the same time
> as me passed. Everyone failed and all of us have been
> doing this for quite awhile and already have a number of
> certifications under our belts. We all beleived that the
> simulations were the cause of our failures. Then the
> answer from Microsoft after my complaint about the test
> was that it is the testing centers fault and you need to
> contact them. I highly doubt that it is their problem.

GaryH

2.4MHz....wow....is this test in DOS?
Just Checking.
"Littlelegs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder if the testing site was upto par on their equipment. I work at
> Career College that also is a Prometric testing site. We recently had to
> upgrade our exam machines to 2.4MHz, 256Mb (Min), etc... in order to

comply
> with the technical requirements of the new 29X exams. I wrote today and

had
> no problems with the sims.
>
> "Scott B" wrote:
>
> > I recently took the 290 and 291 exams and found that the
> > simulations were severly flawed. I received VBscript
> > errors in the middle of the simulations and do not know if
> > the questions were scored properly because of this. At
> > one point everyone who was taking the 291 exam in the room
> > had their tests error at the same exact time and the
> > proctor had to restore all of them but the ones that would
> > not recover. Of course I was one of them and now I have
> > to retake the test even though I was over half way done
> > with the test. The simulations would not allow you to
> > test what you had setup like you can in the real world.
> > Also there was only one way that you were allowed to set
> > something up. You were unable to set things up some of
> > the ways that you would in the real world. For example
> > anytime you clicked start run and typed ******.msc you
> > would get an error. Several people got out of the exam
> > and went to their own labs and stated that everything they
> > tried to do in the simulation that failed worked in their
> > home lab. I would suggest NOT taking these exams until
> > they repair them. Those of you who are interested in
> > Microsofts history with simulation exams should look up
> > what happened when they tried to do this with IIS 4.0.
> > Also not a single person who took the test the same time
> > as me passed. Everyone failed and all of us have been
> > doing this for quite awhile and already have a number of
> > certifications under our belts. We all beleived that the
> > simulations were the cause of our failures. Then the
> > answer from Microsoft after my complaint about the test
> > was that it is the testing centers fault and you need to
> > contact them. I highly doubt that it is their problem.

Littlelegs

Ok now I feel a bit silly!!! Stupid fingers hitting the wrong keys!! My
Bad...

"GaryH" wrote:

> 2.4MHz....wow....is this test in DOS?
> Just Checking.
> "Littlelegs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I wonder if the testing site was upto par on their equipment. I work at
> > Career College that also is a Prometric testing site. We recently had to
> > upgrade our exam machines to 2.4MHz, 256Mb (Min), etc... in order to

> comply
> > with the technical requirements of the new 29X exams. I wrote today and

> had
> > no problems with the sims.
> >
> > "Scott B" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently took the 290 and 291 exams and found that the
> > > simulations were severly flawed. I received VBscript
> > > errors in the middle of the simulations and do not know if
> > > the questions were scored properly because of this. At
> > > one point everyone who was taking the 291 exam in the room
> > > had their tests error at the same exact time and the
> > > proctor had to restore all of them but the ones that would
> > > not recover. Of course I was one of them and now I have
> > > to retake the test even though I was over half way done
> > > with the test. The simulations would not allow you to
> > > test what you had setup like you can in the real world.
> > > Also there was only one way that you were allowed to set
> > > something up. You were unable to set things up some of
> > > the ways that you would in the real world. For example
> > > anytime you clicked start run and typed ******.msc you
> > > would get an error. Several people got out of the exam
> > > and went to their own labs and stated that everything they
> > > tried to do in the simulation that failed worked in their
> > > home lab. I would suggest NOT taking these exams until
> > > they repair them. Those of you who are interested in
> > > Microsofts history with simulation exams should look up
> > > what happened when they tried to do this with IIS 4.0.
> > > Also not a single person who took the test the same time
> > > as me passed. Everyone failed and all of us have been
> > > doing this for quite awhile and already have a number of
> > > certifications under our belts. We all beleived that the
> > > simulations were the cause of our failures. Then the
> > > answer from Microsoft after my complaint about the test
> > > was that it is the testing centers fault and you need to
> > > contact them. I highly doubt that it is their problem.

LnkWizard

"Littlelegs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok now I feel a bit silly!!! Stupid fingers hitting the wrong keys!! My
> Bad...

Reminds me of a passage from book

"Don't be malignin' the little beasties, you be the one givin'
them brains"

Character: Alex Kilgour
Book: STEN
Authors: Alan Cole, Chris Bunch

Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

http://www.mcngp.com

edsa

I agree totally with what you are all saying about the simulations. I took
the exam on Friday and only just passed. I got 6 simutation questions and 3
of them just totally failed to respond half way through. Buttons just didn't
function. I tried the reset option and went through the whole question again
by trying a different route, but still no response.

I think that the simultation questions are actually a great idea to test the
candidates skills, but Microsoft need to get this technology working or they
are going to get some angry people on their backs when they start to complain
when they fail because of the simulation questions breaking down.

eddie

"Scott B" wrote:

> I recently took the 290 and 291 exams and found that the
> simulations were severly flawed. I received VBscript
> errors in the middle of the simulations and do not know if
> the questions were scored properly because of this. At
> one point everyone who was taking the 291 exam in the room
> had their tests error at the same exact time and the
> proctor had to restore all of them but the ones that would
> not recover. Of course I was one of them and now I have
> to retake the test even though I was over half way done
> with the test. The simulations would not allow you to
> test what you had setup like you can in the real world.
> Also there was only one way that you were allowed to set
> something up. You were unable to set things up some of
> the ways that you would in the real world. For example
> anytime you clicked start run and typed ******.msc you
> would get an error. Several people got out of the exam
> and went to their own labs and stated that everything they
> tried to do in the simulation that failed worked in their
> home lab. I would suggest NOT taking these exams until
> they repair them. Those of you who are interested in
> Microsofts history with simulation exams should look up
> what happened when they tried to do this with IIS 4.0.
> Also not a single person who took the test the same time
> as me passed. Everyone failed and all of us have been
> doing this for quite awhile and already have a number of
> certifications under our belts. We all beleived that the
> simulations were the cause of our failures. Then the
> answer from Microsoft after my complaint about the test
> was that it is the testing centers fault and you need to
> contact them. I highly doubt that it is their problem.

recommendations for exam simulations (failed 292) djc MCSA 2 02-28-2006 11:16 AM
Back Annotation simulations rajan VHDL 4 08-10-2004 07:57 AM
"Real" Simulations? Jay Davis VHDL 8 11-25-2003 05:37 PM
Long simulations Pedro Claro VHDL 0 08-13-2003 02:59 PM
DSP simulations Willem Oosthuizen VHDL 1 06-25-2003 03:37 PM

Advertisments