Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Storing binary data in a web page

Storing binary data in a web page

Michael Bredbury

I am developing using Visual Studio .NET 2002 using ASP.NET and
VB.NET. This is a web-based project which needs to install various
ActiveX components on the users PC. ActiveX is needed because the
project involves automation of Word, Excel etc on the CLIENT side.

I have binary data which is an EXE file stored inside an SQL Server
Image table which I need to pass to the clients browser and create the
original EXE file on their hard disk. I want to store the data inside
a web-page and then use the very large data block as a parameter to an
embedded ActiveX control which will take the data and re-create the
original file.

The area I need help with is storing large amounts of binary data
inside a web-page. Do I use XML? Do I use RegisterClientScriptBlock
and build up a large script which is a function just to return the
data?

Any ideas please?

Mike Bredbury.