Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Re: WINNT.SIF Not Being Recognized

Re: WINNT.SIF Not Being Recognized

Darrick West

Remember to enclose filenames with quotation marks to prevent .txt from
being appended to your file by Notepad.exe

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:425b303d$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> After checking the file name, I noticed that there was a .txt appended to
> the winnt.sif filename.
> After renaming the file, everything worked as expected. Thanks for your
> feedback.
>

> "Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:425a679d$1_1@127.0.0.1...
>> In preparation for 70-270, I am trying to perform an automated install

> from
>> CD using a winnt.sif file. According to my QUE study book, when the

> system
>> boots from the CD drive, if no operating system is found on the drive, it
>> looks for winnt.sif in the root folder of a:. I used Setup Manager to
>> create an unattend.txt file and then renamed it to winnt.sif.
>>
>> I found this strange that setupmgr named the file unattend.txt when what

> is
>> needed (according to the book) is winnt.sif. The book didn't mention
>> anything about renaming the file.
>>
>> Anyway, I placed the floppy in the drive and changed the BIOS to boot
>> from
>> the XP CD, and it never read the file. It accessed the floppy drive but
>> seemed to ignore the setup file. I also changed the name back to
>> unattend.txt and that didn't make a difference either.
>>
>> According to www.networkclue.com, you need to insert the floppy shortly
>> after the bootup starts. This seems rather cumbersome and tricky.
>>
>> Has anyone else encountered this?

blastingfonda

Darrick West wrote:
> Remember to enclose filenames with quotation marks to prevent .txt

from
> being appended to your file by Notepad.exe

True, true. I also like to clear the "Hide extensions for known file
types" box under Folder Options > View Tab. Otherwise if you try to
change the file name and extension in Explorer, you run into the same
issue.