Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Re: Boot Disk Query

Re: Boot Disk Query

Ben Smith

In article <4249a32b$0$83068$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ial says...
> Subject: Boot Disk Query
> From: "Chris M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently studying for 70-290 and I have a small query about boot
> floppies.
>
> The books that I have state that you can create a boot disk by simply quick
> formatting a floppy and copying NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR and BOOT.INI.

Not quite.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816793

BTW - this was the 4th entry from the top when searching
http://support.microsoft.com on "ntldr"

Ben Smith

In article <4249b2ff$0$83052$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)ial says...
> "Ben Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >> The books that I have state that you can create a boot disk by simply
> >> quick
> >> formatting a floppy and copying NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR and BOOT.INI.
> >>

> > Not quite.
> >
> > See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816793

> Thanks for the response Ben. I have read the link, but I must be missing
> something. OK, the article says that I *might* have a NTBootdd.sys file, but
> not necessarily. My server did not have an Ntbootdd.sys file.

This file is only present and used if you have a scsi controller.

> The boot.ini file already points to the right place since it was copied
> straight from the server I'm trying to boot.
>
> I really cannot see what steps I've missed. Any pointers will be much
> appreciated.

IIRC, you get a different error than NTLDR canoot be found if the
boot.ini is wrong.

> Thanks again,

Neil

did you hear Ben Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

>> Thanks for the response Ben. I have read the link, but I must be
>> missing something. OK, the article says that I *might* have a
>> NTBootdd.sys file, but not necessarily. My server did not have an
>> Ntbootdd.sys file.

> This file is only present and used if you have a scsi controller.

actually only required if you have a SCSI controller AND the bios is not
INT13 enabled. More often than not the NTBOOTDD.SYS file is not required.
There are some oddities now with the PnP features of Windows that adds a
SIGNATURE entry into the ARC naming paths that can really screw things
up. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q227704/

(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...000/server/res
kit/en-us/Default.asp?
url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-
us/core/fnbb_str_njcp.asp

or

http://tinyurl.com/5b25x

are also good reads though they are from the Win2000 reskit)

>> The boot.ini file already points to the right place since it was
>> copied straight from the server I'm trying to boot.
>>
>> I really cannot see what steps I've missed. Any pointers will be much
>> appreciated.

> IIRC, you get a different error than NTLDR canoot be found if the
> boot.ini is wrong.

I believe you get an NTOSKRNL.EXE not found...

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- 'Bother,' said Pooh, as he took aim from behind the grassy knoll.