Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Volume Shadow Copy

Volume Shadow Copy

Hello,

I'm reading on a Syngress Book that in order to make live
backups of a Wins server you need to activate volume
shadow copy on the volume where the Wins database is
stored (tipically where Windows is installed). Is this
correct ? I thought that enabling VSC was required to let
clients be able to access previous versions of files
through unc pathnames (provided they had the client
software installed). The backup utility should be able to
backup open files even on volumes where this feature is
not enabled by making a background vsc snapshot at the
time of the backup. This seems to be confirmed by the
following article:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y4A2225CA [Microsoft Site]

The articles refers to Windows XP but we are talking about
Windows 2003 server here.

Moreover, the ntbackup utility defaults to using vsc
backup regardless of that feature being expressly enabled
on the volume.

Can anybody confirm this ? thank you.

Daniel Knoblich

I think they mean, that you have to enabel vsc within the backup utility.
Not the vsc of the volume for the previous versions.
news:24b901c53449$2edd9e20$(E-Mail Removed)...

shadow copy and deep copy Eva Ruby 2 11-09-2010 01:41 PM
Windows Volume Shadow Copy + Secure Delete = Insecure Delete Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 12-04-2009 06:52 AM
Issues with Volume Shadow Copy Service: How do I "reset" registry/com dll registration? icnocop Windows 64bit 0 01-03-2007 03:14 AM
Re: Shadow Copy on a single volume Charlie Russel - MVP Windows 64bit 0 12-10-2006 06:55 PM
What is Volume Shadow Copy (VSS)? Do I need it? How do I turn it o =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?= Windows 64bit 2 12-07-2005 01:33 PM

Advertisments