Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Preparing for core exams

Preparing for core exams

Rumbledor

I've been a FoxPro and VB developer for some 7 or 8 years now with some
good SQL Server experience over the last few years as well. I have decided
to go for a MCSA and possibly MCDBA later.

That vast majority of my networking experience has been with Microsoft
products, so I am familiar with the basic concepts. I have installed
Windows 2000 server at home, for instance, on seperate occasions as both a
member server as well as a domain controller.

I have begun my formal studying with Mark Minasi's, Mastering Windows
Server 2003, and was wondering what other books/materials anyone else might
suggest? I am considering also the Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Administrator's Companion, but that would be an awful lot of additional
reading, much of which is undoubtedly covered in Minasi's book.

Then there is also the official curriculum series from Microsoft. That just
seemed very dry to me, so I wasn't sure how helpful it might be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor

Rumbledor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns962275215D18ARumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.2 04.17:

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Yup....any (legitimate) advice at all....

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

kuky

Hi.....
The only material that everyone need to read is.....the IT BIBLE...that mean..
Mark Minasi's book.( Mastering Server 2003). is the best resource...!!!
But if you need something to complement you knowledge, maybe this book is
the answer (Addison-Wesley - Inside Windows Server 2003).

MCSA/MCSE = Mastering Server 2003 + Inside Server 2003 + Transcender.
Go ahead to Microsoft Cert....

"Rumbledor" wrote:

> Rumbledor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns962275215D18ARumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.2 04.17:
>

> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >

> Yup....any (legitimate) advice at all....
>
> --
> Rumble
> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor

"=?Utf-8?B?a3VreQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi.....
> The only material that everyone need to read is.....the IT
> BIBLE...that mean.. Mark Minasi's book.( Mastering Server 2003). is
> the best resource...!!! But if you need something to complement you
> knowledge, maybe this book is the answer (Addison-Wesley - Inside
> Windows Server 2003).
>
> MCSA/MCSE = Mastering Server 2003 + Inside Server 2003 + Transcender.
> Go ahead to Microsoft Cert....

Thank you very much. Would you recommend the Windows Server 2003
Administrator's Companion as an additional reference on any particular
topics?

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

kuky

Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can recomend
Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the BEST....!!! What
Chapter are you reading right now....?

This is clients cooment about Minasi Works

"Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
Microsoft training..."

"We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally. "Have you
seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you look it up in the
bible?""

"Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

"Rumbledor" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?a3VreQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi.....
> > The only material that everyone need to read is.....the IT
> > BIBLE...that mean.. Mark Minasi's book.( Mastering Server 2003). is
> > the best resource...!!! But if you need something to complement you
> > knowledge, maybe this book is the answer (Addison-Wesley - Inside
> > Windows Server 2003).
> >
> > MCSA/MCSE = Mastering Server 2003 + Inside Server 2003 + Transcender.
> > Go ahead to Microsoft Cert....
> >

> Thank you very much. Would you recommend the Windows Server 2003
> Administrator's Companion as an additional reference on any particular
> topics?
>
> --
> Rumble
> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

molsonexpert

"kuky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can

recomend
> Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the BEST....!!!

What
> Chapter are you reading right now....?
>
> This is clients cooment about Minasi Works
>
> "Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
> Microsoft training..."
>
> "We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally. "Have

you
> seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you look it up in the
> bible?""
>

> "Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

What are you, his agent?

steve.

Rumbledor

"=?Utf-8?B?a3VreQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can
> recomend Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the
> BEST....!!! What Chapter are you reading right now....?

I've only gotten through the first few chapters so far, but have skipped
ahead to the chapters on TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP and WINS servers. My
background being in programming, I felt that getting straight with those
concepts was important before getting too far along.

> This is clients cooment about Minasi Works
>
> "Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
> Microsoft training..."
>
> "We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally.
> "Have you seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you
> look it up in the bible?""
>

> "Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

I do like his writing style. Too many books out there read like the
Microsoft Books Online - very dry and overly technical.

Thanks again!

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

FYI-Geek101

I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
training.
Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
Technologies at
NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
http://www.ebay.com.

An excellent compliment to your training is to
use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/as...nt/default.asp
and its always free.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
support for skills assessments at
http://disnetinc.com/

FYI-Geek101

Franklin