Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-290 rant

70-290 rant

Dan

Unbelievable.
I've failed the 70-290 twice!
Reading other threads this doesn't seem uncommon which is
unfortunate.
Being my first MCP, the first exam I was going to write
off as a learning experience, though if I passed, I'd
accept it.
The questions I thought were easy, but pulled a 612!
6 days later (today) I sit the exam again.
The questions were much more difficult, I had to guess
quite a few of them.
This being the case, I failed again, but this time with a
678!
The problems I am finding, the questions are so granular.
Having worked in IT for the last 5 years and having an IT
degree, I'm finding the expectations from MS to gain MCP
is quite a lot.
The results given at the end of the test are pretty
useless. The reasons for this is that they don't tell
you how many questions you passed in each section. They
ask granular questions, but give you generalised answers
when giving the report.
Having two strong areas in the first exam, and 3 average
areas the next, I studied in the areas needing more work.
Now I come out with a different graph, showing different
strengths and weaknesses unlike the first exam.

Also at the beginning of the exam, there is the
disclaimer saying that there may be questions in the exam
that aren't marked, but are for feedback/testing purposes.
Personally I'd prefer not to be given these kinds of
questions that don't count, they might help microsoft,
but they don't help me pass the exam

So it seems I have to wait at least 2 weeks before I sit
the test again. At $180 a pop, I'm not sure whether it
is worthwhile to move on (they are having a 2 for 1
special at the moment), or keep hitting my head against a
brick wall.

Questions I'd like to ask the community is, should I
expect questions degrees more difficult the next time I
sit the 70-290? Does MS flag questions that you've
already done so you don't get them again?
Is the two week rule enforced? If I attempt to sit the
exam, will the result not count, or I won't be able to
book/schedule an exam?

Thanks for reading guys and gals.
Dan.

catwalker63

"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:12b401c52ad7$288dbd00$(E-Mail Removed):

> Questions I'd like to ask the community is, should I
> expect questions degrees more difficult the next time I
> sit the 70-290? Does MS flag questions that you've
> already done so you don't get them again?
> Is the two week rule enforced? If I attempt to sit the
> exam, will the result not count, or I won't be able to
> book/schedule an exam?

I'm sorry to hear you failed -- that must be very frustrating.

I think it's pretty much potluck which questions you get. The two week
rule is indeed enforced -- mostly to protect the exam from braindumpers
so you don't get the same questions again. I don't think they'll even
let you book. Sounds like you need the time, though. Don't take lots of
breaks from now until you are allowed to take the exam. Keep hammering
away looking for additonal material to read and practicing with the
product.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

“If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain

Scott

Indeed, I agree here - exam technique will usually play a
large part in whether you pass or fail.

In many of the questions its more a process of 'which
answers are wrong' rather than which answers are correct.

For example, you work for a company that has 2 servers - a
file and a web server. OS's are Win2k3. You cannot start
the OS on the file server. The startup disks are missing
but you have a tape with the last good full backup.

Should you:
a) Copy the tape to CD and start the server.
b) Start safe mode and restore the data.
c) Copy the asr.sif and asrpnp.sif from the CD to a floppy
disk and use this disk to start the ASR Wizard.
d) Use the web server startup disks to start the file
server.

If you're like me and can't see the answer right off its
to eliminate the answers it can't be:

Check the options:

a) A single CD (notice its NOT CDs) may not contain all
the dataon a tape. You therefore probably can't copy the
tape to a CD to start the server.

You don't need all the backup data for a restart in any
case.

So, probably not this answer.

b) The question says you can't start the OS (Wind2k3) so
you can't get into safe mode.

Cross this one as its not possible.

c) Looks allright, better than the other 2 so far....

d) You may get lucky and bring it up - in my inexperienced
opinion its a dodgy type of option (no doubt. I doubt
Microsoft likes their MCPs using dodgy solutions, so
dicount it

That leaves us with c) - which sounds rather plausible.

Simple elimination like this will make yoru life a LOT
easier - espeically in any permission based quetions where
you might have to pick all that apply - start crossing off
things that obvious will not work (ie give full control a
group that only needs to read files). You can usually get
yourself down to a 50/50 chance at getting the right
answer - and with some knowledge you should make the right
choice more often than not

Apart from this, try to do LOTS of questions of whatever
testing software you are using (I've got CertBlaster that
was included in the Thomson book I've been using). If you
can pull 85-100% there I'd imagine it would be a good sign
you're getting close to ready.

Anyway, hope it helps you out a bit.

PS - which areas do you find the hardest? I know I
continually fall down the most in Maintaining a Server
Environment and Managing Acces to Resources. IIS, Remote
access, terminal access and the rest seems to get me
everytime

Scott

blastingfonda

Scott wrote:
> Indeed, I agree here - exam technique will usually play a
> large part in whether you pass or fail.
>
> In many of the questions its more a process of 'which
> answers are wrong' rather than which answers are correct.

True. You also have questions in which any number of answers will solve
the problem, but only one answer will solve the problem correctly.

For example:

Your boss tells you that you have twenty new employees to the company
domain that will be starting next week. How do you add them?

A) Launch Active Directory Users and Computers and add the new user
accounts one by one.
B) Launch Active Directory Users and Computers. Create a template user.
Adjust the user properties accordingly. Create new user accounts by
copying this template file.
C) Use the DSADD command line utility to add all twenty user accounts.
D) Add all user accounts to an LDIF-formated text file and import them
with LDFIDE.
E) Add all user accounts to a spreadsheet. Save this spreadsheet in a
comma-separated value (.csv) format and import it using the CSVDE
utility.

Now, all solutions WILL accomplish the task. The trick here is knowing
which solution Microsoft considers to be the best or require the least
amount of effort.

A - we can safely eliminate because it would probably take the most
time.
B - better, but still would take a lot of time but again, both A & B
would do the job.
C - DSADDing each individual account would take a while. A batch file
with 20 DSADDs would probably streamline the process, though.
D - probably the best wrong answer choice of the lot but still requires
you to format the file using LDIF (i.e. DN: CN=User1,DC=DomainName,
etc.)
E - This is the answer choice the Microsoft exam writers would think is
correct. It is probably the easiest and would take the least amount of
time.

So, the moral of the story is - learn the way Microsoft likes to do
things - it may be one of five or six ways of doing things (and nearly
everything in Win2k3 can be done in multiple ways)... but there is only
one "correct" way.