Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA exams? Book or Class?

MCSA exams? Book or Class?

Tech_Girl_In_Training

Is it possible to prepare for MCSA exams with a self
study book? Or is it better to go to classes? I dont
really have the time to attend classes because I have to
work so much but would like to study at home on the
weekends. Has anyone had any luck passing these tests
while studying on their own? I have a 2 yr IT degree
which is a good start but its not getting me an IT job!!!
Still working in another field Thx

Stephen Charles Rea \(MCT\)

Classes vs. Self Study is merely a judgment call on the individual. You have
to decide if your a self study kind of person or a classroom kind of person.
Ask yourself how you learn. How well are you focused? Can you learn on your
own? Will you have the determination to keep studying when distractions come
along? Either way...good luck I'm sure you'll do fine.

--
"The Rev"
Microsoft Certified Trainer

..
"Tech_Girl_In_Training" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:1ab901c4fcf5$c52c2c10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to prepare for MCSA exams with a self
> study book? Or is it better to go to classes? I dont
> really have the time to attend classes because I have to
> work so much but would like to study at home on the
> weekends. Has anyone had any luck passing these tests
> while studying on their own? I have a 2 yr IT degree
> which is a good start but its not getting me an IT job!!!
> Still working in another field Thx

catwalker63

"Tech_Girl_In_Training" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled
ceaslessly in news:1ab901c4fcf5$c52c2c10$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it possible to prepare for MCSA exams with a self
> study book? Or is it better to go to classes? I dont
> really have the time to attend classes because I have to
> work so much but would like to study at home on the
> weekends. Has anyone had any luck passing these tests
> while studying on their own? I have a 2 yr IT degree
> which is a good start but its not getting me an IT job!!!
> Still working in another field Thx

It's very possible. Get more than one book for each exam (amazon has
pretty good reviews that will help you choose) and set up a network at
home with a couple of computers (you can also use some virtual software
setups to simulate a network). There are also tremendous resources
available on the web (technet, knowledge base, documentation/help files,
resource kits at microsoft alone). Learn to Google (you can even google
these groups to find answers to most of your questions).

In the end, it will probably be cheaper than classes and you'll still
have the equipment. You'll have to be disciplined to keep at it and not
let too much time go by between study sessions or you'll lose ground.
Your best bet is going to be finding a job in IT (start at the bottom and
pay your dues). Nothing will help you more than experience. You can
simulate some, but nothing compares to the chaos of a real production
environment.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"I'm not bossy! I just know what nerdbunchanumbers should be doing!"