Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Cerification or Degree?

Cerification or Degree?

Dave

I am 18 and want to get a career in computers.
Should I rather take a certification route like A+, Network+, MCSA or is it
better to take a college/university Degree?

Are there any employers here that can tell me what they would prefer.

Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
get me a better salary?

Bobby

Hi Dave,

You will get a job quicker with IT certifications but you will get a better
salary if you have a degree to go with it. You will need experience to keep a
job and change it into your career. Since you are 18, get all the degrees and
certifications you can. At the same time volunteer yourself when there's IT
needs (troubleshooting, networking, designing websites etc...) or participate
in IT related clubs and society during your college/university years.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

"Dave" wrote:

> I am 18 and want to get a career in computers.
> Should I rather take a certification route like A+, Network+, MCSA or is it
> better to take a college/university Degree?
>
> Are there any employers here that can tell me what they would prefer.
>
> Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
> get me a better salary?

anonymous

I agree with the other guys. Go to college and take the
classes then study for the certs right after you finish
the class while it is still fresh in your head. A degree
with MCSA or MCSE will look really good on a resume. I
was already in IT when I started my degree so my work
paid for all my classes and certs. Maybe you can find a
job like tech support that will pay for your school and
go to school at night. Look at job sites for tech support
rep. That is good experience. Most school will make you
take the A+ and Network+ classes before they let you take
MCSA/MCSE classes

I'm in IT career almost 10 years. It is best to take both.
Degree is more important. Best

zork

it only takes a week to get a certification, however a real degree takes
atleast 4 years. Answer me which one is more recognised? True, recognition
is not that important in the IT world. Experience is. My plan of action
would be the following:

1) start a degree program
2) as a part time excercise work towards certification
3) get a part time job in the IT area. Who knows, your employer might even
pay for your college degree.

try and turn yourself into a more rounded individual. who knows, maybe later
on in life you might decide to change careers. A degree can make that so
much more easier. I know this because i have been there.

I would stress trying to get a part time job in IT while going through a
degree. You can gain some valuable expereince during those 4 years in
college and be very employable in the end compared to other graduates. Your
multitasking abilities i.e. taking on a college degree + attaining
certification + a part time job, will look great in the eyes of an employer.
He will only see a hard worker with a potential to achieve. not a lazy bumb
who wants a cheap ticket (certification) entry into the IT world

It's a long road, but take it one step at a time. You are the ring bearer.
don't give up!

zork

news:cft3aa$ilt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am 18 and want to get a career in computers.
> Should I rather take a certification route like A+, Network+, MCSA or is
> it
> better to take a college/university Degree?
>
> Are there any employers here that can tell me what they would prefer.
>
> Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
> get me a better salary?

SJ

No question about it, if you can get a degree, absolutely, positively
get a degree.

At 18, you have a long time ahead of you in the work environment. If
you can postpone that a little by expanding your horizons in a college
or university, so much the beter. Getting a degree will get you ahead
no matter where you go in the work environment.

Just a degree doesn't always mean a job once you graduate, so
certifications can help you get a job. However, with a degree you get
more money to start and more money in the long run. Even for the
"rock stars" (engineers that can do anything), a lack of degree causes
a ceiling.

Money isn't everything, but if you have to struggle payday to payday
money becomes tremondously important.

As a hiring manager, sometimes I'd look for someone that didn't have a
degree but just had certifications specifically because I was working
with a smaller salary. Other times, I'd want someone with the best
qualifications; a resume with both a degree and certifications brought
prospects to the top of the pile.

sj
www.certquest.net

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cft3aa$ilt$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am 18 and want to get a career in computers.
> Should I rather take a certification route like A+, Network+, MCSA or is it
> better to take a college/university Degree?
>
> Are there any employers here that can tell me what they would prefer.
>
> Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
> get me a better salary?

Feral Geek

What would you recommend for someone changing careers at
the age of 40 something who works full time and has family
responsibilities and a mortgage etc... Go back to school
for 4 years and get a Computer Science Degree? I already
ahve a BS in Business so why get another 4 year degree?
For some of us, the certification route and hands on
experience is the only way to break into the field. Before
you dole out advice like cheap ticket (certification)
consider that everyone is not like you or in the same
position as the individual you were giving advice to.

bblak

Tell the truth Geek, you don't have a degree. If you did your comprehension
skills would be be better.

"Feral Geek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:198701c48c88$2eef6ba0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What would you recommend for someone changing careers at
> the age of 40 something who works full time and has family
> responsibilities and a mortgage etc... Go back to school
> for 4 years and get a Computer Science Degree? I already
> ahve a BS in Business so why get another 4 year degree?
> For some of us, the certification route and hands on
> experience is the only way to break into the field. Before
> you dole out advice like cheap ticket (certification)
> consider that everyone is not like you or in the same
> position as the individual you were giving advice to.

Feral Geek

Actually I do have a degree and I am a member of mensa. To
tell the truth though, I have found young pretentious
techies like yourself very annoying. I hope the silver
spoon you have been sucking on your whole life never falls
out of your mouth and you have to experience hardship, or
god forbid choose a different career where your superior
attitude will not fly. Good luck moron.

Feral Geek

Thanks Alan for the great advice. I have been trying to
land entry-level Help Desk or Desktop support jobs and
since I have owned my own businesses in the past I was
starting to wonder if I was not landing the entry-level
jobs due to employers thinking I wouold not be challenged
by an entry-level position. I have been getting hands on
experience with a friend (ex-colleague) of mine who is in
the IT field and does consulting work. Thanks again for the
advice.
Feral Geek

experience. With
>the current economy, having MCSE on your resume might

actually work against
>you - because employers know that certified professionals

demand more money.
>If you go the degree route, you shouldn't have to take

many classes due to
>your previous degree. I would at least investigate the

number of hours
>required to get the CS degree.
>
>For me, my degree was also in an unrelated field. So I

took a lower end IT
>job and earned the experience. It was slower but the

knowledge I collected
>along the way is priceless.
>
>Also, I have a MBA/MCSE buddy that was unemployed for

nearly 8 months. He
>was willing to take anything. He finally took MBA and

MCSE off his resume
>and got a job that week.
>
>Alan
>
>"Feral Geek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message
>news:198701c48c88$2eef6ba0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What would you recommend for someone changing careers at
>> the age of 40 something who works full time and has family
>> responsibilities and a mortgage etc... Go back to school
>> for 4 years and get a Computer Science Degree? I already
>> ahve a BS in Business so why get another 4 year degree?
>> For some of us, the certification route and hands on
>> experience is the only way to break into the field. Before
>> you dole out advice like cheap ticket (certification)
>> consider that everyone is not like you or in the same
>> position as the individual you were giving advice to.

ISA 2004 Cerification =?Utf-8?B?Um9iV1VL?= Microsoft Certification 1 01-13-2005 02:03 PM
Re: Free Cerification Books online v_harshala Microsoft Certification 0 12-23-2004 02:44 PM
Re: Free Cerification Books online jkDad Microsoft Certification 0 12-17-2004 06:24 PM
Cerification and No Degree. Ben MCSD 10 04-23-2004 04:51 PM
Cerification training Services jagga Microsoft Certification 0 02-21-2004 04:39 PM

Advertisments