Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > XP or 2000

XP or 2000

Damp

I'm about to start preparing for the MCSA and for starts
I'm going to take the OS exam. I'm much more familiar
with Win2K, but will this exam be on its way out soon and
should I take the XP exam instead?

JaR

Damp wrote:

> I'm about to start preparing for the MCSA and for starts
> I'm going to take the OS exam. I'm much more familiar
> with Win2K, but will this exam be on its way out soon and
> should I take the XP exam instead?

You are thinking about getting a certification that you are proficient
at something.

Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
not proficient at doing.

cart><horse

JaR

Steve

There really isn't much different between win2k and
winXP. Most companies have to to winXP so you might be
better off getting XP.
Just my opinion......

TechGeekPro

On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:

> Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
> not proficient at doing.

To work toward becoming proficient at it.

--
Tech "Studious Geek" Pro
MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

TechGeekPro

On Jul 28, 2004 "TechGeekPro" blathered:

> On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:
>
>> Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
>> not proficient at doing.

> To work toward becoming proficient at it.

To put it better:

"Passing certifications is not a race, it's truely the road to it that
counts...".*

* Quoted from Johan Hiemstra, the Webmaster of TechExams.net.

--
Tech "Philosophical Geek" Pro
MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

JaR

TechGeekPro wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2004 "JaR" blathered:
>

>>Why would you consider getting a certification in something that you are
>>not proficient at doing.

> To work toward becoming proficient at it.

One becomes proficient, then obtains the certification. One does not get
certified first, then develop the proficiency. That's like saying "I
know how to drive a car, should I get a auto driver's license? Or should
I just go ahead and get a pilot's licence because I've never been in an
airplane?"

JaR

Folks,
I feel comforatble with both, but I've been supporting
2000 for a couple years now and feel very confident in
that area. I dont think preparing for XP would be all
that tough or different. I guess the best way to phrase
my question would be...Am I wasting my time with 2000
because its not the most up to date and-WILL IT NOT be
offered soon as an exam?

JaR

> Folks,
> I feel comforatble with both, but I've been supporting
> 2000 for a couple years now and feel very confident in
> that area. I dont think preparing for XP would be all
> that tough or different. I guess the best way to phrase
> my question would be...Am I wasting my time with 2000
> because its not the most up to date and-WILL IT NOT be
> offered soon as an exam?

It really depends on what you want to do or what your employer wants.
Heck there's a lot of places still running NT. 2K will be around for a
while. If you are more familiar with 2K then certify in it.

JaR

~baked

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:08:20 -0700, "Damp"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

IF you already know 2000 AND you're only going to certify in
one desktop OS, then why not go for XP - if for not other reason
than to learn the differences between the two. I would certainly
not say that 2000 is going away anytime soon, but XP would
get you further with most employers if that's what you're after.