Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-270 point structure

70-270 point structure

Jennifer

I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
possible for the 70-270 exam? Thank you.

I can't find this information anywhere, and a minimum of
700 points doesn't have any meaning without knowing
whether that's 60% of the possible maximum or 90%.
CompTIA publishes this information clearly and I would
like to see Microsoft do the same.

Jennifer

TechGeekPro

On Jul 15, 2004 "Jennifer" blathered:

> I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
> exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
> possible for the 70-270 exam?

Should be 1000.

--
TechGeekPro
MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

JaR

TechGeekPro wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2004 "Jennifer" blathered:
>

>>I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
>>exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
>>possible for the 70-270 exam?

> Should be 1000.

But it's not. People have reported scores over 1000. It's just another
MS sekrit.

JaR

JaR

Amy Rusko [MS] wrote:

> Look at the third FAQ under Exam Questions and Testing Information on
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...procedures.asp
>
> Q. What does my score mean?
>
> A. Beginning with the release of the Microsoft Windows Serverâ„¢
> 2003–related exams, Microsoft will provide numerical scores on exams.
> By the end of September 2003, most exams will have the new score
> report format, which includes this numerical score. Microsoft has
> worked with customers and testing industry experts to create an exam
> scale that would be consistent across all exams. The new scale
> requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all exams. The maximum
> score on the exams will vary depending on the complexity of the
> skills being measured.
>
> Amy Rusko MS Learning

IOW like I said. "It's a sekrit!"

obPedant; I would have thought a MS representative would know how to set
line wrap. 74 is optimal

JaR

Jennifer

Amy,

It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
without knowing to what extent one must know the
information. Ideally, I would know the content 100%, but
it is rare to enter an examination feeling like you will
be able to answer any question posed. In order to
properly prepare, I need to know how well I must know the
information. For example, the CompTia A+ OS exam requires
a minimum score of 505 out of 900. So when I was passing
practice exams at 90%, I felt comfortable that I would be
able to pass the CompTIA exam with the required 56%. It
is unreasonable to expect people to take an examination
without knowing what there goal is. 700 out of 800 points
is a dramatically different score that 700 out of 1200
points. I encourage you to publish your the point scale
for each examination.

Jennifer

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...q/procedures.a
sp

>Q. What does my score mean?
>
>A. Beginning with the release of the Microsoft Windows

Serverâ"¢ 2003â?"related exams, Microsoft will provide
numerical scores on exams. By the end of September 2003,
most exams will have the new score report format, which
includes this numerical score. Microsoft has worked with
customers and testing industry experts to create an exam
scale that would be consistent across all exams. The new
scale requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all
exams. The maximum score on the exams will vary depending
on the complexity of the skills being measured.

>Amy Rusko
>MS Learning

confers no
>rights.
>

>"JaR" wrote:
>
>> TechGeekPro wrote:
>>
>> > On Jul 15, 2004 "Jennifer" blathered:

points

>> > Should be 1000.
>> >

>> But it's not. People have reported scores over 1000.

It's just another
>> MS sekrit.
>>
>> JaR
>>

>.

JaR

Jennifer wrote:
> Amy,
>
> It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
> without knowing to what extent one must know the
> information. Ideally, I would know the content 100%, but
> it is rare to enter an examination feeling like you will
> be able to answer any question posed. In order to
> properly prepare, I need to know how well I must know the
> information. <snippage>

No, no impossible. It just means you need to know your stuff. If it was
impossible, nobody would be able to pass the exams. That, obviously, is
not the case. You can't pass these exams being 70% prepared.

JaR

kpg

> It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
> without knowing to what extent one must know the
> information.

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

You mean that if the pass/fail mark were 50% you would
only study enough to learn half the material? Really?

I find that...well...disturbing.

kpg

Jennifer

True, it isn't impossible. I exaggerate. It still
shouldn't be a "sekret."

Deferentially (and amused),
Jennifer

JaR

Jennifer wrote:

> True, it isn't impossible. I exaggerate. It still
> shouldn't be a "sekret."
>
> Deferentially (and amused),
> Jennifer

We all agree, but trying to convince MS is like trying to teach a pig to
sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.

JaR

TechGeekPro

On Jul 15, 2004 "JaR" blathered:

> You can't pass these exams being 70% prepared.

Well technically, if you get really lucky, you *could* pass the exam. But
then again, why would you want to. I've always tried to get the highest
possible score I could, regardless of the passing percentage.

--
TechGeekPro
MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+