Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-290 vs. 70-294

70-290 vs. 70-294

Shifty

Question for everybody out there that has taken these two tests. I have been
studying for the 290 test now for three months. Everytime I take a practice
my weak points are related to either permissions or a.d. subject matter. I
have the mspress self paced training kit and started skimming through the
other study guides. With 294 spending a lot of time on a.d. and it's parts
and pieces is it better to start with 294 or to stick with 290 until I
understand it better? I am not in the it industry yet but would like to make
go at it. I have a small home network setup with a windows 2003 enterprise,
windows xp pro, and windows 2000 pro. The amount of time that I can spend
with it doesn't seem to be giving the experience that I need to really
understand the 290 test. So would 294 give me the background to make 290 any
easier? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Christopher McGill

Hi,

Micosoft Press is a great learning guide. However, I also use several of the Syngress guides to supplement my studying. The Microsoft Press books state that you should have a minimum level of practical experience, so there are not as many practice areas. The Syngress books are rather bloated but are crammed with practice areas and tests.

"Shifty" wrote:

> Question for everybody out there that has taken these two tests. I have been
> studying for the 290 test now for three months. Everytime I take a practice
> my weak points are related to either permissions or a.d. subject matter. I
> have the mspress self paced training kit and started skimming through the
> other study guides. With 294 spending a lot of time on a.d. and it's parts
> and pieces is it better to start with 294 or to stick with 290 until I
> understand it better? I am not in the it industry yet but would like to make
> go at it. I have a small home network setup with a windows 2003 enterprise,
> windows xp pro, and windows 2000 pro. The amount of time that I can spend
> with it doesn't seem to be giving the experience that I need to really
> understand the 290 test. So would 294 give me the background to make 290 any
> easier? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

catwalker63

I started reading about Active directory before even trying to study for the
server exam. I was used to NT4 and hadn't had my hands on server 2000 or
2003. Studying a bit of both sounds like they might help you with the ADs
subject matter. As a supplement to your study guides, I recommend OReilly's
Active Directory Second Edition by Robbie Allen and Alistair G.
Lowe-Norris. I also have the Minasi Resource Kit from Sybex and I read the
Mastering Active Directory book from that series. I am studying 2000 before
I do 2003 so I also read Mastering Windows 2000 Server, which was excellent
and very easy to read and there is a 2003 version of the Minasi Resource Kit
that's just as good. The Microsoft Windows Resource Kit for 2003 server is
not yet available online but you might consider purchasing it if you have
the funds. I've used the online version for 2000 extensively to supplement
my books. I'm also using the MS Press self-paced training kits and there
are tons of references for further reading all through the book. Read them!

Since you are not yet in the industry, practice as much as you can on your
network. They more you mess with it, break it, fix it, change it, work with
it, the better. It will be harder for you but if you stick with it you can
do it.

This is one of my favorite places to start to get all things Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/res...es/default.asp

This one is for CertTutor.net with free online 2000 and 2003 practice exams
and a great forum:
http://www.2000exams.com/

Here is a list of 2003 How To's you can turn into practice exercises:
http://tinyurl.com/36t9w

Good luck!
--
Kelley
aka catwalker
"Shifty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Question for everybody out there that has taken these two tests. I have

been
> studying for the 290 test now for three months. Everytime I take a

practice
> my weak points are related to either permissions or a.d. subject matter. I
> have the mspress self paced training kit and started skimming through the
> other study guides. With 294 spending a lot of time on a.d. and it's parts
> and pieces is it better to start with 294 or to stick with 290 until I
> understand it better? I am not in the it industry yet but would like to

make
> go at it. I have a small home network setup with a windows 2003

enterprise,
> windows xp pro, and windows 2000 pro. The amount of time that I can spend
> with it doesn't seem to be giving the experience that I need to really
> understand the 290 test. So would 294 give me the background to make 290

any
> easier? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

290 was much easier than 294 at least for me...
290 is very little on AD and Permissions.. it is mostly
hardware support and backup procedures..
290 passed first time.. 294 1 time so far but was close
at 675...

Trip

I agree, When I took the exam it was mainly diaster
recovery Terminal Sevrices and Permissions. Started the
course on the monday took the exam on the friday and
passed with 730

/pt