Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > How I can configure local and ISP DNS server for client computer

How I can configure local and ISP DNS server for client computer

Shujaat

I have windows 2000 domain controller with local DNS
server, My network is connected to the Internet with ADSL
line; My ISP has provided me DNS Servers, 212.93.192.4 &
212.93.192.5.
When I use the ISP DNS server as DNS server in my client
computer, so the client computers can access the Internet
but they are facing difficulties to brows the local
network recourses.
And when I use the local DNS server for my client
computers, then they cannot brows the Internet.
I tried to configure forwarders on my local DNS server,
But I could not because this root DNS server.
I am really so tired that what should I configure on my
client configure and my DNS servers, so my client
computers can use local resources and can brows the
Internet pages.
Shujaat
If you can solve my problem then please email me on:

Neil

"Shujaat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1ad0401c41f0b
$3afce4d0$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have windows 2000 domain controller with local DNS
> server, My network is connected to the Internet with ADSL
> line; My ISP has provided me DNS Servers, 212.93.192.4 &
> 212.93.192.5.
> When I use the ISP DNS server as DNS server in my client
> computer, so the client computers can access the Internet
> but they are facing difficulties to brows the local
> network recourses.
> And when I use the local DNS server for my client
> computers, then they cannot brows the Internet.
> I tried to configure forwarders on my local DNS server,
> But I could not because this root DNS server.
> I am really so tired that what should I configure on my
> client configure and my DNS servers, so my client
> computers can use local resources and can brows the
> Internet pages.
> Shujaat
> If you can solve my problem then please email me on:
> (E-Mail Removed)

qustion should be posted to Microsoft.public.win200.dns

post it here, read it here

--
Neil

Neil

"Shujaat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1ad0401c41f0b
$3afce4d0$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have windows 2000 domain controller with local DNS
> server, My network is connected to the Internet with ADSL
> line; My ISP has provided me DNS Servers, 212.93.192.4 &
> 212.93.192.5.
> When I use the ISP DNS server as DNS server in my client
> computer, so the client computers can access the Internet
> but they are facing difficulties to brows the local
> network recourses.
> And when I use the local DNS server for my client
> computers, then they cannot brows the Internet.
> I tried to configure forwarders on my local DNS server,
> But I could not because this root DNS server.
> I am really so tired that what should I configure on my
> client configure and my DNS servers, so my client
> computers can use local resources and can brows the
> Internet pages.
> Shujaat
> If you can solve my problem then please email me on:
> (E-Mail Removed)

qustion should be posted to Microsoft.public.win200.dns

post it here, read it here

--
Neil

Darth 2000

You cold try a couple of things:

1) Add your server IP as the first DNS server in the client list and the ISP
DNS Servers after it. This way, if the resource the client is looking for is
on the local network, it will find it fast by using the local DNS. If it's
an internet resource they are looking for, they will first try the local
DNS, and if it can not resolve the query, they will then try the second and
third DNS servers (ISP's) and eventually be able to resolve.

2) Add forwarders to your DNS Server. Right click your server name in DNS
MMC, properties, forwarders, and add the IP of the ISP's DNS there.

3) IDEAL SITUATION: You should be having forward and reverse lookup zones.
This is a good idea if you have more than a few client computers. Even if
you aren't hosting an FQDN, you should create something like
"company-name.local" as your domain name. Hopefully you have already done
this. Create the forward, config the clients to dynamically update the DNS
and also have that integrated into WINS. Then create a reverse lookup. This
is used to resolve IP -> hostname. EG: 192.168.0.1 -> Server.

Works like a charm on my home network of Win2K3, 2xXP Pro, 1x2KPro, 1xWin98
running DSL.

--
Darth 2000 - MCNGP # 28