Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Newbie Geek Girl

Newbie Geek Girl

Manon

I am currently working as an Admin Assistant, but am trying to learn
IT stuff on my own so I can eventually take the MCSA exams and be
certified. I would love any free advice anyone would like to give.
Someone suggested in another message that a newbie should really get
the A+ cert first even if they don't want to be a technician. Should
I?

Also I can't really get a entry level job as a tech right now as I
would need to stay at the same salary level I am now...not that my
salary is all that great anyway. So would having home/personal
experience be enough to get a job down the road if I get my cert?

Any advice anyone would like to throw my way will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Jen

Hired Goon

I would recommend what others have posted before...get your A+, get a crappy
tech job and build up some IT experience then work on the MCSA. Be prepared
for 3-5 years of entry level jobs if you have no IT experience. Although
you say that you don't want to be a tech, most companies that hire lan
admins also expect them to do the tech support as well.

"Manon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am currently working as an Admin Assistant, but am trying to learn
> IT stuff on my own so I can eventually take the MCSA exams and be
> certified. I would love any free advice anyone would like to give.
> Someone suggested in another message that a newbie should really get
> the A+ cert first even if they don't want to be a technician. Should
> I?
>
> Also I can't really get a entry level job as a tech right now as I
> would need to stay at the same salary level I am now...not that my
> salary is all that great anyway. So would having home/personal
> experience be enough to get a job down the road if I get my cert?
>
> Any advice anyone would like to throw my way will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

LnkWizard

"Manon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
<snip>
> Someone suggested in another message that a newbie should really get
> the A+ cert first even if they don't want to be a technician. Should
> I?

It never hurts to know how the hardware all works together when working
with a network. That way you can at least figure out if it is the PC
Hardware,
Network hardware, or something in the software setup that is causing
trouble.

> Also I can't really get a entry level job as a tech right now as I
> would need to stay at the same salary level I am now...not that my
> salary is all that great anyway. So would having home/personal
> experience be enough to get a job down the road if I get my cert?

Having a home network to practice on is always a good thing. It will
definitely help, especially on how to set a network up and how to fix
things that get broken. You might also want to volunteer your time
at a local school or church to assist their "network guru" to help
you get some real world practice.

> Any advice anyone would like to throw my way will be greatly
> appreciated.

Several good sources are the help files within the Server or PC operating
system,
Microsofts on-line Tech Net and Knowledge Base support areas. You might
also consider using Google.com to help search out information. In addition
all of that the general consensus is to use the Microsoft Press and Sybex
training books.

As far as testing your skills as you learn, the MS tests that sometimes
come with the books and Transcenders Tests (http://www.transcender.com)
are useful. There are other sources but that is all I can think of for now.
Stay away from br@indump test sources, if you get caught using them
your certs will be invalidated and you cannot ever try again.

There are folks here willing to help, but they do expect you to put
forth some effort on your part before you come dashing in with questions.
When you do ask questions, make sure you provide enough information
for them to help you, plus what you have done on your own to solve
the problem.

> Thanks!
>
> Jen

---
LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

---

TechGeekPro

Keep your job, get the A+, then work toward your MCSA. After that consider
getting more certs (i.e., CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft). Good luck!

--
I may not be fully certified, but I am fully certifiable.

"Manon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am currently working as an Admin Assistant, but am trying to learn
> IT stuff on my own so I can eventually take the MCSA exams and be
> certified. I would love any free advice anyone would like to give.
> Someone suggested in another message that a newbie should really get
> the A+ cert first even if they don't want to be a technician. Should
> I?
>
> Also I can't really get a entry level job as a tech right now as I
> would need to stay at the same salary level I am now...not that my
> salary is all that great anyway. So would having home/personal
> experience be enough to get a job down the road if I get my cert?
>
> Any advice anyone would like to throw my way will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Tech Goddess

WARNING!!!!

DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!
YOU WILL RECIEVE LEGITIMATE-LOOKING MS WEBSITE PAGES WITH
EXECUTABLE SECURITY PATCHES AS ATTACHMENTS!!!!
THESE ARE NOT SECURITY PATCHES, THESE ARE VIRUS'S!!!

YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE MEDIA PLAYER FILES THAT EXECUTE
VIRUS'S UPON OPENING!!!!!!

YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE OTHER SUSPICIOUS EMAILS !!!!

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR NORTON ANTI-VIRUS BEFORE OPENING ANY
EMAILS!!!!!!

PLEASE SEE ATTN: MS NEWSGROUP FOR WARNINGS !!!!

LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious
participants on this newsgroup.

Please see ATTN: MS NEWSGROUPS for all or most malicious
participants who will soon be addressing you!!!!

Regards,
Tech Goddess

TechGeekPro

WARNING!!! BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR FUGGING CAPS LOCK WHEN POSTING TO THIS
NEWSGROUP!!!! PEOPLE HERE FIND IT ANNOYING!!!!!

--
I may not be fully certified, but I am fully certifiable.

"Tech Goddess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1a28501c41d9d$12dcfcc0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> WARNING!!!!
>
> DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!
> YOU WILL RECIEVE LEGITIMATE-LOOKING MS WEBSITE PAGES WITH
> EXECUTABLE SECURITY PATCHES AS ATTACHMENTS!!!!
> THESE ARE NOT SECURITY PATCHES, THESE ARE VIRUS'S!!!
>
> YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE MEDIA PLAYER FILES THAT EXECUTE
> VIRUS'S UPON OPENING!!!!!!
>
> YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE OTHER SUSPICIOUS EMAILS !!!!
>
> PLEASE UPDATE YOUR NORTON ANTI-VIRUS BEFORE OPENING ANY
> EMAILS!!!!!!
>
> PLEASE SEE ATTN: MS NEWSGROUP FOR WARNINGS !!!!
>
> LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious
> participants on this newsgroup.
>
> Please see ATTN: MS NEWSGROUPS for all or most malicious
> participants who will soon be addressing you!!!!
>
> Regards,
> Tech Goddess

JaR

Tech Goddess opined, On 4/8/04 12:09 PM:

> WARNING!!!!
>
> DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!
> YOU WILL RECIEVE LEGITIMATE-LOOKING MS WEBSITE PAGES WITH

<BullSnipped>

WARNING!!!

Do not get too close to the poster known as Tech Goddess!* The cloud of
stupidity surronding her posts can cause light headedness.

*Goddess of what kind of Tech, one wonders? Electric blankies? Toasters?

JaR
Guardian Thug

LnkWizard

"Tech Goddess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1a28501c41d9d$12dcfcc0$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious
> participants on this newsgroup.

I suggest you be real careful of your accusations there Tech G.
I have never nor will I ever send any kind of malicious materials
to any participant on this newsgroup. If you have received
said materials from me, PROVE IT!

Crimson*

> It never hurts to know how the hardware all works together when working
> with a network.

Great point. I think you'll find more and more that many IT jobs are being
rolled into one. For example, you're hired as a LAN Admin, but to everyone
you work with you'll be known as "the computer girl/guy". So when anything
PC-related breaks, you'll get a call. It's best to start small (A+) and
build a solid foundation for the bigger things (MCSA, etc.)

TechGeekPro

"LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious participants on this
newsgroup."

I didn't see that when I read it (actually I just skim the mindless
dribble). What the h3ll did I do that was "malicious"? Come to think of it,
I think I'll just take it as a compliment.

--
I may not be fully certified, but I am fully certifiable.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...