Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Email time in Yahoo mail

Email time in Yahoo mail

zvnteq7

Hi,

I received an email from my Mom, well several, the first few came around
the same time, the last one lists the time as 4am, (but my Mom is
never up at that hour) So I was wondering if someone knew how the time
on emails actually work?

Thanks in advance

Evan Platt

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:21:48 -0500, zvnteq7 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I received an email from my Mom, well several, the first few came around
> the same time, the last one lists the time as 4am, (but my Mom is
>never up at that hour) So I was wondering if someone knew how the time
>on emails actually work?
>
>Thanks in advance

That's like asking how a car works. There's a number of different
times in e-mail headers. What time the person actually sent it -
according to their computer, that is. Then the time it was received by
their mail server, the time it was actually sent by that mail server,
the time it was received by the receiving mail server, the time it was
accepted by that mail server, etc.

Then YOUR mail client needs to interpret the time into your time zone.
So if someone sends and e-mail at what's midnight for them, but only 4
PM for me, my mail client should display 4 PM.

So who knows what Yahoo did or does..

VanguardLH

zvnteq7 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received an email from my Mom, well several, the first few came around
> the same time, the last one lists the time as 4am, (but my Mom is
> never up at that hour) So I was wondering if someone knew how the time
> on emails actually work?
>
> Thanks in advance

Look at the timestamps in the Received headers that are added by the
mail hosts versus the Date header which is *data* that the user's client
inserts into their message.

zvnteq7

VanguardLH wrote:
> zvnteq7 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I received an email from my Mom, well several, the first few came around
>> the same time, the last one lists the time as 4am, (but my Mom is
>> never up at that hour) So I was wondering if someone knew how the time
>> on emails actually work?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

> Look at the timestamps in the Received headers that are added by the
> mail hosts versus the Date header which is *data* that the user's client
> inserts into their message.

Ah, good point, I only have the brief headers set right now, I wish
there were a easy toggle function to show the entire header and go back
to the brief header. Yahoo? listening?

other wise I have to go back into : options, etcetc\

Thanks again

VanguardLH

zvnteq7 wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>> zvnteq7 wrote:
>>>
>>> I received an email from my Mom, well several, the first few came
>>> around the same time, the last one lists the time as 4am, (but my
>>> Mom is never up at that hour) So I was wondering if someone knew
>>> how the time on emails actually work?

>> Look at the timestamps in the Received headers that are added by the
>> mail hosts versus the Date header which is *data* that the user's
>> client inserts into their message.

> Ah, good point, I only have the brief headers set right now, I wish
> there were a easy toggle function to show the entire header and go
> back to the brief header. Yahoo? listening?
>
> other wise I have to go back into : options, etcetc\

There is a "Full Headers" link at the bottom right corner of the
message body box. That's if you use the classic UI.

If you use their much slower loading Ajax-enabled UI, click on the
"Compact Header" down-arrow to select "Full Header".

It's there. Just gotta play with the UI to figure out how to use it.