Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Profiles Missing

Re: Profiles Missing

Rom

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:00:25 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> All of a sudden, when I launch Mozilla, the box with the profiles for me and my
> wife doesn't open. It just goes right to the browser. How do I get this back? I
> haven't changed anything. It just disappeared. Thanks.

You can create a separate Profile Manager shortcut by copying the
existing Firefox shortcut, then open the copy of the Firefox
shortcut's Properties, and in the Target box to the path append

-ProfileManager

which would be this if Firefox is installed to the default location:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager

Otherwise, start the Profile Manager by going to Start > Run and enter

firefox.exe -ProfileManager

When the Profile Manager opens, before selecting the profile to start,
UNcheck

[ ] Don't ask at startup

--
Rom

yogi22

On Jan 12, 12:00*am, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:00:25 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > All of a sudden, when I launch Mozilla, the box with the profiles for me and my
> > wife doesn't open. It just goes right to the browser. How do I get this back? I
> > haven't changed anything. It just disappeared. Thanks.

> You can create a separate Profile Manager shortcut by copying the
> existing Firefox shortcut, then open the copy of the Firefox
> shortcut's Properties, and in the Target box to the path append
>
> *-ProfileManager
>
> which would be this if Firefox is installed to the default location:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager
>
> Otherwise, start the Profile Manager by going to Start > Run and enter
>
> firefox.exe -ProfileManager

I have exactly the opposite problem. I like FF to start immediately in
a selected profile. Formerly, I had three shortcuts to different FF
profiles. e.g.: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
"i6a2fh4y.Mary","C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
"rxcqldgg.Default User", etc. This worked great.

I recently reloaded Windows, having saved the old profiles, then
transferring them to the profiles folder of the the newly installed
Firefox. ("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles").

Now, no matter which shortcut I click on, Profile Manager appears,
even tho' I have checked "[x] Don't ask at startup".

Have I missed something? I have used this method on my Windows laptop
and on my Linux eeePC, without the Profile Manager interjecting itself
and causing added keystrokes/mouseing.
kk

Rom

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:06:49 -0800 (PST), yogi22 wrote:

> I have exactly the opposite problem. I like FF to start immediately in
> a selected profile. Formerly, I had three shortcuts to different FF
> profiles. e.g.: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> "i6a2fh4y.Mary","C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> "rxcqldgg.Default User", etc. This worked great.

Try changing the profile names to the same names displayed in Profile
Manager, as it looks like "i6a2fh4y.Mary" is the folder name of the
profile (and also in the Path in profiles.ini), so change
"i6a2fh4y.Mary" to just "Mary" in the shortcut's Target if Mary is the
name displayed in Profile Manager.

> I recently reloaded Windows, having saved the old profiles, then
> transferring them to the profiles folder of the the newly installed
> Firefox. ("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
> \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles").
>
> Now, no matter which shortcut I click on, Profile Manager appears,
> even tho' I have checked "[x] Don't ask at startup".

I've had that happen to a shortcut and everything looked okay to me,
and I couldn't get the shortcut to work without the Profile Manager
popping up, so I deleted it and started over by making a copy of
another shortcut (say, copy from the one in the Start Menu) then
adding -P "<profilename>".

> Have I missed something? I have used this method on my Windows laptop
> and on my Linux eeePC, without the Profile Manager interjecting itself
> and causing added keystrokes/mouseing.

Try the above and see how you go. More info here:

Command line arguments:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments>

Shortcut to a specific profile:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a_specific_profile>

Starting Firefox or Thunderbird with a specified profile:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Starting_Firefox_or_Thunderbird_with_a_specified_p rofile>

--
Rom

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:06:49 -0800 (PST), in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
yogi22 wrote:

> I have exactly the opposite problem. I like FF to start immediately in
> a selected profile. Formerly, I had three shortcuts to different FF
> profiles. e.g.: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> "i6a2fh4y.Mary","C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> "rxcqldgg.Default User", etc. This worked great.
>
> I recently reloaded Windows, having saved the old profiles, then
> transferring them to the profiles folder of the the newly installed
> Firefox. ("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
> \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles").

OK, you transferred the folder
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"
and its subfolders.

But did you also transfer the file
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"
which is NOT in
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"

> Now, no matter which shortcut I click on, Profile Manager appears,
> even tho' I have checked "[x] Don't ask at startup".

As I understand it, if you start Firefox with a parameter -p "profile-name"
Firefox looks up the name in profiles.ini (see above), and finds the
corresponding path to the folder for that profile.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

yogi22

On Jan 12, 8:32*pm, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:06:49 -0800 (PST), yogi22 wrote:
> > I have exactly the opposite problem. I like FF to start immediately in
> > a selected profile. Formerly, I had three shortcuts to different FF
> > profiles. e.g.: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> > "i6a2fh4y.Mary","C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P
> > "rxcqldgg.Default User", etc. This worked great.

> Try changing the profile names to the same names displayed in Profile
> Manager, as it looks like "i6a2fh4y.Mary" is the folder name of the
> profile (and also in the Path in profiles.ini), so change
> "i6a2fh4y.Mary" to just "Mary" in the shortcut's Target if Mary is the
> name displayed in Profile Manager.
>
> Try the above and see how you go. More info here:
>
> Command line arguments:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments>
>
> Shortcut to a specific profile:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a_specific_profile>
>
> Starting Firefox or Thunderbird with a specified profile:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Starting_Firefox_or_Thunderbird_with_a_spec...>
>
> --
> Rom

Thank you so much Rom. It worked like a charm. I now have three FF
shortcuts, each with a different icon. One for me, one for my wife,
and one for visitors. Each one starts automatically, without the
annoyance of having to select from Profile Manager.
kk