Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't read 8GB SD card

Can't read 8GB SD card

Aardvark

I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.

First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
read this ****ing file on the card?

If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.

Mara

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:12:51 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
>card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
>in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
>
>First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
>detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
>drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
>in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
>my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
>daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
>read this ****ing file on the card?
>
>If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.

I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into the
built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At that point I
either have to try re-inserting the card several times until it finally works,
or remove the card, shut the system down, insert the card, and boot back up,
which works about 75% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's because that card has
seen a LOT of use over the past couple of years.

--
Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

PeeCee

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T1val.274092$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
> card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
> in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
>
> First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
> detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
> drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
> in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
> my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
> daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
> read this ****ing file on the card?
>
> If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.
>

> --
> The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
> of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
> Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

The 8GB SD is SDHC
The card reader likely only SD.
SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

SD max = 4GB
SDHC max = 32GB
SDXC max = 2TB (Announced 2009 CES)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

Best
Paul.

Aardvark

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:36:18 -0600, Mara wrote:

> I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into
> the built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At
> that point I either have to try re-inserting the card several times
> until it finally works, or remove the card, shut the system down, insert
> the card, and boot back up, which works about 75% of the time. I'm
> pretty sure it's because that card has seen a LOT of use over the past
> couple of years.

This particular card is a brand spanker and the only file that has ever
been put on it is this vid file.

Oh well, I'll give the insert/reinsert a few times and see what it does.

Cheers.

Aardvark

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

> The 8GB SD is SDHC
> The card reader likely only SD.
> SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

I had a feeling that the explanation would be something along those lines.

Thanks anyway and thanks for the link.

PeeCee

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Uval.274102$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, PeeCee wrote:
>
>> The 8GB SD is SDHC
>> The card reader likely only SD.
>> SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

> I had a feeling that the explanation would be something along those lines.
>
> Thanks anyway and thanks for the link.
>

> --
> The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
> of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
> Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

Last minute thought, the $2/3/4/5 shops had a USB SD card reader (in
Hamilton anyway) recently
The 4 I grabbed all proved to be SDHC, might be worth looking at.

Best
Paul.

Mara

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:08:37 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:36:18 -0600, Mara wrote:
>
>> I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into
>> the built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At
>> that point I either have to try re-inserting the card several times
>> until it finally works, or remove the card, shut the system down, insert
>> the card, and boot back up, which works about 75% of the time. I'm
>> pretty sure it's because that card has seen a LOT of use over the past
>> couple of years.

>This particular card is a brand spanker and the only file that has ever
>been put on it is this vid file.
>
>Oh well, I'll give the insert/reinsert a few times and see what it does.
>
>Cheers.

Also, sometimes the hardware can't read cards above a certain size. For example,
my camera can't use above a 2Gb size. I couldn't find anything about your reader
after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it was brand new it ought to
be capable, but you never know.

-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

richard

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:T1val.274092$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
>> card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
>> in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
>>
>> First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
>> detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
>> drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
>> in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
>> my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
>> daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
>> read this ****ing file on the card?
>>
>> If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.
>>

>> --
>> The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
>> of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
>> Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
>> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

>The 8GB SD is SDHC
>The card reader likely only SD.
>SD readers can't 'see' SDHC
>
>SD max = 4GB
>SDHC max = 32GB
>SDXC max = 2TB (Announced 2009 CES)
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
>
>Best
>Paul.

It will also depend on the software.
All 3 of my machines will read an 8g sdhc with no problem.
Put it in my brother's, nothin.

Whle one of my laptops wouldn't even accept a 2g sd.

Aardvark

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:52:46 -0600, Mara wrote:

> I couldn't find anything
> about your reader after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it
> was brand new it ought to be capable, but you never know.

No, no,no. you misunderstand. It's the SD card that's a brand spanker.
The reader I've had from new about three years ago.

Mara

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:24:49 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:52:46 -0600, Mara wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find anything
>> about your reader after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it
>> was brand new it ought to be capable, but you never know.

>No, no,no. you misunderstand. It's the SD card that's a brand spanker.
>The reader I've had from new about three years ago.

I see. Perhaps the SD card is too big for the reader's capabilities then?

-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865