Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Impersonation Question - Encrypting Passwords

Impersonation Question - Encrypting Passwords

Elliot M. Rodriguez

I have a web app that uses Crystal Reports 8.5 along with VB.Net.

When attempting to access reports by a UNC file share path, I was getting
access denied errors. I solved this problem eventually by running the aspnet
process as a Domain Admin account (changed the processModel attribute in
machine.config).

I tried running the code block using impersonation as the same account, yet
I continued to get Access Denied errors, even on fileshares with Everyone
allowed access. It only worked when I provided the exact same account info I
used for local impersonation as the login account in machine.config. I could
see the token changing to the correct login account, yet it continued to
fail. Does this account also require LocalSystem rights?

My network administrator is not really excited about the idea of a domain
accounts information posted in plain text for the world to see or try to
hack into. So my question is - how can I protect this information? What are
my options? and why didnt impersonation work for me the way I thought it was
intended to work in the first place?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.