Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vietnam government chooses software

Reply
Thread Tools

Vietnam government chooses software

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009

An interesting question; if you were choosing a software strategy for
a country, would you pick
(a) paying $squillions to a USA corporate to use their software
(b) just pirate the foreign software and wear any diplomatic fallout
(c) upskill your people to use open source software
(d) build your own from scratch.

Looks like Vietnam is having a go at option (c).
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/

It will be interesting to see how they get on.


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4969b394$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> An interesting question; if you were choosing a software strategy for
> a country, would you pick
> (a) paying $squillions to a USA corporate to use their software
> (b) just pirate the foreign software and wear any diplomatic fallout
> (c) upskill your people to use open source software
> (d) build your own from scratch.
>
> Looks like Vietnam is having a go at option (c).
> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/
>
> It will be interesting to see how they get on.
>
>


Just so we're clear:

The **unelected government** of Vietnam is having a go at open-source
software. The **unelected government** of Vietnam has issued a directive to
that effect, which the people of Vietnam have no choice but to obey.

That's what you meant, right?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
impossible wrote:
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4969b394$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/

>
> Just so we're clear:
> The **unelected government** of Vietnam is having a go at open-source
> software. The **unelected government** of Vietnam has issued a directive
> to that effect, which the people of Vietnam have no choice but to obey.


Just so we're clear; the linked article states this applies to government
agencies, not "the people of Vietnam".

The article says the instruction "requests that computer traders not
sell PCs installed with cracked software". Doesn't read like a case
of "no choice", does it?


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <4969b394$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/

>
> Left out
> (e) Use the software where people are the most productive because this
> recognizes that the user is the most expensive part of the computer.


In a country where a legit copy of Windows or OS X is the price of about a
year's salary? I don't think so.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
"Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:496a56f1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> You think companies should price differently based on the country they are
> selling in?


Oh but they do! See below.

> I often wish companies based in the UK and USA would have pity on us in NZ
> with our crap dollar and salaries


It's the opposite. There have been several pieces of software that I've
purchased online that were *more* expensive because I was buying from NZ.
This is with digital delivery too, so no shipping costs.

I have no idea what the rationale behind this is.

Example, Corel. Paint Shop Pro X2 (used to be a great piece of software
some versions prior, but they've run it into the ground) is US$69 for the
download version if you're buying from the US, or about NZ$120, but it's
NZ$229 if you're buying from here. That's nearly double the price.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
whoisthis wrote:

> Well there is the problem with poorer countries then on selling the
> software ...


Which is why you limit the transfer of licenses like solidworks do, its
only valid in the country of purchase.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009
In message <gkdr7n$8h6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>
>> Well there is the problem with poorer countries then on selling the
>> software ...

>
> Which is why you limit the transfer of licenses like solidworks do, its
> only valid in the country of purchase.


So much for the doctrine of first sale.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <496a5f4b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> If companies were smart they probably should price lower in poorer
>> countries I guess. I am trying to think of some reason they shouldn't
>> but can't...

>
> Well there is the problem with poorer countries then on selling the
> software ...


Why exactly is the operation of the market a "problem"?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009
In message <496a5f4b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Puddle wrote:

> If companies were smart they probably should price lower in poorer
> countries I guess. I am trying to think of some reason they shouldn't
> but can't...


"From each according to their ability to pay" -- sounds a bit Communist,
doesn't it?
 
Reply With Quote
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4969b394$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/

>>
>>> An interesting question; if you were choosing a software strategy for
>>> a country, would you pick
>>> (a) paying $squillions to a USA corporate to use their software
>>> (b) just pirate the foreign software and wear any diplomatic fallout
>>> (c) upskill your people to use open source software
>>> (d) build your own from scratch.
>>>
>>> Looks like Vietnam is having a go at option (c).
>>> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/
>>>
>>> It will be interesting to see how they get on.
>>>

>> Just so we're clear:
>> The **unelected government** of Vietnam is having a go at open-source
>> software. The **unelected government** of Vietnam has issued a directive
>> to that effect, which the people of Vietnam have no choice but to obey.
>>
>>
>>That's what you meant, right?
>>

> Just so we're clear; the linked article states this applies to government
> agencies, not "the people of Vietnam".
>


Just so we're clear -- The people of Vietnam have no say in any government
matters. So the Vietnamese Communist Party is issuing a directive to
government minions to, as you say, "upskill your people to use open source
software". And you call this "interesting"? How so?

> The article says the instruction "requests that computer traders not
> sell PCs installed with cracked software". Doesn't read like a case
> of "no choice", does it?
>


The people of Vietnam have no say in any government matters. What part of
that reality don't you understand?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: If you allow unions in the government, they can extort and shut down the government! MyNews Computer Support 0 12-31-2010 04:40 AM
Re: If you allow unions in the government, they can extort and shutdown the government! Parko Computer Support 1 12-31-2010 03:47 AM
jolie & pitt's new vietnam baby photo flyawayteeks Digital Photography 1 03-05-2007 04:45 AM
Hue Vietnam - Forbidden Purple City John H Digital Photography 0 02-01-2006 12:51 PM



Advertisments