Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacing a poer supply

Replacing a poer supply

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

About 3 years ago, had to replace the original power supply. Repairer installed a 'larger' model
i.e. Okia ATX power supply/450W. My only stipulation was it had to be 'dual voltage'/switchable.

Long story but he made out they were hard to find etc etc, and with my not knowing better, was
'stung' nearly $200 for what may have been a simple and not expensive repair.

This unit is now noisy and I need to replace it asap. I am trying to find someone else who does
repairs locally but not having much luck. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to take it back to
same person BUT if I have to do so, want to take unit I purchased in and yes, I WILL obtain a
written quote before he touches it.

I am using wwww.newegg.com.

They do have the Okia brand but will buy another brand if 'good as or better'..

I notice on two the following - could someone please explain the difference and which one do you
consider 'better' if at all:

1 unit as 2 x 80mm fans
1 unit has a 12cm LED fan

Some show ball bearing fans [maybe what is in there now and it's extremely noisy/never has really
been 'quiet' to any degree!

Is there any risk with going to say a 500W unit?

Tha page I am looking at is:

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

Cath