Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photoshop CS4 hardware question

Re: Photoshop CS4 hardware question

Ray Fischer

Longfellow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm planning on building a PC dedicated to Photoshop CS4 and the latest
>Lightroom. I'm told that for a workflow that does not depend on
>continuous coffee breaks to allow the machine to crunch image data, a
>very powerful machine is requisite. I'm told that a 64 bit system with
>as much RAM as one can afford is what makes it possible to fiddle with
>multiple layers and do extensive comparison of effects, etc.

Were you told that by a computer salesman, by any chance?

>OTOH, I'm told that CS4 runs just fine on much less powerful systems,
>that a 32 bit system is more than enough to handle anything that one
>might want to do with Photoshop. As I don't have access to the code of
>Photoshop, I can't evaluate it's ability to shine on such systems, but
>I'm not that sanguine about coding miracles from Adobe in any case.

I run CS4 on an iMac and don't wait for it.

Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
are needed?

--
Ray Fischer

Ray Fischer

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ray Fischer

>> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
>> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
>> are needed?

>Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
>what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
>layers).

Well hell, if you're dealing with 1GP images then obviously 4GB of RAM
won't be enough. But anybody who has to deal with 100MP images isn't
likely to be asking simple questions here.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Ray Fischer

D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> In article <49692798$0$1622$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
>> says...
>>
>>> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
>>> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
>>> are needed?

>> Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
>> what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
>> layers).
>> --
>>
>> Alfred Molon

>I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
>will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
>properly.

The troll spews the usual bullshit.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Sheila

>>> http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

>> I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
>> will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
>> properly.

> The troll spews the usual bullshit.

I didn't have any of those problems and I just got it a few weeks ago
and am using it on an older computer and display.

--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com

D.Mac

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <49692798$0$1622$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
> says...
>
>> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
>> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
>> are needed?

> Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
> what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
> layers).
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
properly. I emphasize "properly" here because it will still work with 3D
disabled.

If like me, you use the clone, erase and a few other everyday tools, you'll
notice it gradually break up until eventually you won't be able to see it
but it will still work!

As for a screen? Look for a used Pro screen like a Samsung or Ezio otherwise
it's up to you to do some research. Almost all the domestic screens are way
to intense in t he contrast for photo editing out of the box.

Good luck,

Douglas

Ray Fischer

D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:496c5640$0$1641$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>

>>>"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...

>>>I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
>>>will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to
>>>function
>>>properly.

>> The troll spews the usual bullshit.

>With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than it

You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.

The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
market leader.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

D.Mac

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:496c5640$0$1641$(E-Mail Removed)...
> D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>> In article <49692798$0$1622$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
>>> says...

>>> Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
>>> what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
>>> layers).
>>> --
>>>
>>> Alfred Molon
>>> http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

>>I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
>>will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to
>>function
>>properly.

> The troll spews the usual bullshit.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> (E-Mail Removed)

With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than it
does a photographer, Ray.

From:http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...?promoid=DRHXB

"Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0
and OpenGL 2.0"

This is pure high end gamers stuff mate. The Nvidia graphics card Adobe
recommend for CS4 costs $800 AUD. Anyone who blindly buys Photoshop without
considering the implications of spending more on a graphics card than their
whole PC to get it working the way it is designed to work, is living in
dream land.

If you ever want be taken seriously, you'll stop being a nasty bastard and
pay attention to those who actually use the stuff they comment on.

Douglas

Ray Fischer

D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:496d85a1$0$1627$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>

>>>"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:496c5640$0$1641$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than
>>>it

>> You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
>> and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.
>>
>> The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
>> software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
>> market leader.

>What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a monstrously
>expensive graphics card?

Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.

>You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

I don't like liars.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

D.Mac

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:496d85a1$0$1627$(E-Mail Removed)...
> D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:496c5640$0$1641$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> The troll spews the usual bullshit.

>>With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than
>>it

> You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
> and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.
>
> The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
> software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
> market leader.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer

What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a monstrously
expensive graphics card?
You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

Find someone else to play with. Life's too short to for me to waste another
second of it on you.

Douglas

-hh

"D.Mac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > D.Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best
> >> wtih a monstrously expensive graphics card?

> > Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.

> You really are a ****wit Fisher. I don't lie. I speak
> from personal experience or keep my mouth shut.
> You should try it sometime.

Gosh, does that admonishing work both ways?

> Did you bother to read the Adobe link on the
> system requirements?

Said URL is here:
<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/>

The only thing that it says relevant to video cards for Photoshop CS4
is:

"Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader
Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0"

Note that this doesn't say that Photoshop won't work, but merely that
to take advantage of GPU-based *acceleration* features may require a
more higher-end graphics card. While we're at it, we should point out
that for all other things being equal, using a 3GHz machine will let
Photoshop run faster than on a 2GHz machine.

For a point of reference, both the (above recommended) Shader Model
3.0 and the OpenGL 2.0 specifications were originally released in
2004. As 4+ year old specifications, the GPU hardware is much closer
to "trailing-edge" technology, and the 'glaring reality' is that cards
meeting these standards start for as low as $50.

For yet another point of reference, Photoshop CS4 does indeed run on
pre- OpenGL 2.0 hardware (just not GPU-accelerated), which may be
perfectly acceptable for lightweight hobbiest applications. One
successful example is the 2003 vintage NVIDIA FX 5200 graphics card.
Yes, it does support OpenGL (1.5) and does has 3D rendering, but since
it is a 6 years old product, it is approaching 'downright ancient' in
PC hardware terms, and if you really wanted to buy one today, its a
whopping US$30. Oh, the 'glaring reality'.

IMO, its more likely that the 'glaring reality' is that any PC that
came with one of these 5-6 years ago is invariably going to have other
more significant hardware limitiations (like CPU & FSB) that are more
significant performance limitations to Photoshop CS4 than just what
old graphics card it happens to have.

> Nothing I said was a lie. I have several PCs running CS3 that I upgraded
> to CS4 and hit the wall of graphics cards.
>
> Read this:http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_cx_us.html;

Gosh, could someone please explain to me precisely where in --->
Photoshop <--- is one able to do H.264 *video* encoding?

Yes, I know that Creative Suite has video stuff, but this thread's
about Photoshop; let's please avoid future shifting of the
goalposts.

-hh