Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual-boot Vista & Win7 restore points

Reply
Thread Tools

Dual-boot Vista & Win7 restore points

 
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2009
Are restore points etc. 'nuked' when dual-booting Vista & Windows 7?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185>:
| This problem occurs because the volume snapshot driver that is
| included with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008 uses disk
| structures that are incompatible with earlier versions of Windows.
| Therefore, the earlier operating system deletes Windows Vista
| shadow copies or Windows Server 2008 shadow copies together with
| the associated restore points. This behavior occurs because the
| earlier Windows operating systems do not recognize the new disk
| structures.

Or does this not apply or an issue with Vista & Win7?
--
Rom
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2009
Why didn't you read the page?

CAUSE
This problem occurs when you start the computer by using the
earlier operating s...
This problem occurs when you start the computer by using the
earlier operating system, such as Microsoft Windows XP or
Microsoft Windows Server 2003. In this situation, the
earlier operating system deletes all the restore points that
were created in Windows Vista. The earlier operating system
also deletes all Complete PC Backup files except the most
recent version of these backup files.


Rom wrote:
> Are restore points etc. 'nuked' when dual-booting Vista & Windows 7?
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185>:
> | This problem occurs because the volume snapshot driver that is
> | included with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008 uses disk
> | structures that are incompatible with earlier versions of Windows.
> | Therefore, the earlier operating system deletes Windows Vista
> | shadow copies or Windows Server 2008 shadow copies together with
> | the associated restore points. This behavior occurs because the
> | earlier Windows operating systems do not recognize the new disk
> | structures.
>
> Or does this not apply or an issue with Vista & Win7?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2009
I have had 1 success and two failures doing a Win7 restore after reverting
back to Vista. I was unable to get an answer from MSFT but they did request
the files created by the failures. I am sure the answer will come later,
but it seems the intent is to have no problems. I urge caution and use a
backup program.


"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1abg74nvvmkba$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Are restore points etc. 'nuked' when dual-booting Vista & Windows 7?
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185>:
> | This problem occurs because the volume snapshot driver that is
> | included with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008 uses disk
> | structures that are incompatible with earlier versions of Windows.
> | Therefore, the earlier operating system deletes Windows Vista
> | shadow copies or Windows Server 2008 shadow copies together with
> | the associated restore points. This behavior occurs because the
> | earlier Windows operating systems do not recognize the new disk
> | structures.
>
> Or does this not apply or an issue with Vista & Win7?
> --
> Rom


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2009
Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7 installs,
and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)

Note that Windows Home Server, and other imaging type backups, are
_independent_ of what is going on with restore points and dual booting. They
give you much more protection that a simple restore point can. But they also
have risks - when you restore a backup, you blow away what exists on that
partition. Which could include data files that have changed since the
backup. Be smart - keep your data files on a separate partition! (Or store
them on WHS using folder redirection.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1abg74nvvmkba$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Are restore points etc. 'nuked' when dual-booting Vista & Windows 7?
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185>:
> | This problem occurs because the volume snapshot driver that is
> | included with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008 uses disk
> | structures that are incompatible with earlier versions of Windows.
> | Therefore, the earlier operating system deletes Windows Vista
> | shadow copies or Windows Server 2008 shadow copies together with
> | the associated restore points. This behavior occurs because the
> | earlier Windows operating systems do not recognize the new disk
> | structures.
>
> Or does this not apply or an issue with Vista & Win7?
> --
> Rom


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:24:11 -0800, John Barnes wrote:

> I have had 1 success and two failures doing a Win7 restore after reverting
> back to Vista. I was unable to get an answer from MSFT but they did request
> the files created by the failures. I am sure the answer will come later,
> but it seems the intent is to have no problems.


Thanks John for the response from experience.

I was aware of the issue, even though hadn't personally experienced it
by dual-booting Vista with an earlier OS, as I installed Vista on a
new system I built the other year, and since prefer VMs for multiple
OSs, with Win7 64-bit already installed in a VM, but now considering
dual-booting Vista with Win7 (both 64-bit).

> I urge caution and use a backup program.


Yep, always good advice.

--
Rom
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:03:34 -0800, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7 installs,
> and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
> don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)


I'm still a tad peeved WHS didn't initially support 64-bit (until
Power Pack 1) when I /was/ looking for an alternative to Complete PC
Backup or Acronis True Image etc.

--
Rom
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Save your peeved. Believe me, I understand, but it's still the best product
out there for the job. I was lucky, I had early access to the x64 client
because I was on the beta, but even so, it's there now and well worth a
look. Oh, and it runs just fine with Win7 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:14xh1pflu8khv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:03:34 -0800, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>
>> Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7
>> installs,
>> and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
>> don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)

>
> I'm still a tad peeved WHS didn't initially support 64-bit (until
> Power Pack 1) when I /was/ looking for an alternative to Complete PC
> Backup or Acronis True Image etc.
>
> --
> Rom


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Pack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009
Charlie:
Colin Barnhorst wrote an article 2/26/08 based on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185 about hiding the Vista drives from
earlier operating systems. I haven't tried it yet with Win7 x64 but it
should work.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1
WHS, Office Professional Plus 2007 SP1
"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Save your peeved. Believe me, I understand, but it's still the best
> product out there for the job. I was lucky, I had early access to the x64
> client because I was on the beta, but even so, it's there now and well
> worth a look. Oh, and it runs just fine with Win7 64-bit.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>
> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:14xh1pflu8khv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:03:34 -0800, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>
>>> Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7
>>> installs,
>>> and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
>>> don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)

>>
>> I'm still a tad peeved WHS didn't initially support 64-bit (until
>> Power Pack 1) when I /was/ looking for an alternative to Complete PC
>> Backup or Acronis True Image etc.
>>
>> --
>> Rom

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009
I'm sure it does. Depending on restore points is a really bad idea, IMHO. I
much prefer having a full image of the machine, taken daily. I can blow away
and return to a better place with _certainty_ that I've completely replaced
any problems. And as long as I keep data on a separate partition, it's no
issue at all.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> Colin Barnhorst wrote an article 2/26/08 based on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185 about hiding the Vista drives from
> earlier operating systems. I haven't tried it yet with Win7 x64 but it
> should work.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1
> WHS, Office Professional Plus 2007 SP1
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Save your peeved. Believe me, I understand, but it's still the best
>> product out there for the job. I was lucky, I had early access to the x64
>> client because I was on the beta, but even so, it's there now and well
>> worth a look. Oh, and it runs just fine with Win7 64-bit.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>>
>> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:14xh1pflu8khv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:03:34 -0800, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>>
>>>> Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7
>>>> installs,
>>>> and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
>>>> don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)
>>>
>>> I'm still a tad peeved WHS didn't initially support 64-bit (until
>>> Power Pack 1) when I /was/ looking for an alternative to Complete PC
>>> Backup or Acronis True Image etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rom

>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win7 Pro x64 dies with BSOD on my toshiba laptop (Win7 Retail/RTM) Warren Postma Windows 64bit 6 11-20-2009 11:23 PM
Cleaning up restore points not working in Vista 64? Don Windows 64bit 8 03-23-2008 01:53 PM
restore points using system restore Kue2 Windows 64bit 3 11-01-2005 03:13 PM
Location of Windows Restore Points Joseph N. Computer Support 3 09-02-2003 07:57 AM
Create and delete "restore points" George&Ade Computer Support 3 07-18-2003 12:18 PM



Advertisments