Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re Installing XP ?

Re Installing XP ?

Robert11

Hello,

HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable, so
probably have nothing to lose.

Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.

Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
disk coded somehow for only one installation ?

Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?

I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to running
the installation disk ?

Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

D@Z

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gka7gn$8m5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
> up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
> so probably have nothing to lose.
>
> Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
>
> Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
> disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
>
> Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
>
> I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
> Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
> running the installation disk ?
>
> Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

try here

http://ezinearticles.com/?Formatting...ll-PC&id=70466

Google first hit.

lugnut

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:23:29 -0500, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
>up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable, so
>probably have nothing to lose.
>
>Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
>
>Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
>disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
>
>Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
>
>I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
>Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to running
>the installation disk ?
>
>Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

If you need to keep or maintain anything on the machine, you may want to
consider doing a repair install instead of a format/clean install. A repeir
install will restore the operating system whereas a format will overwrite and
destroy everything currently on the drive. Another option you have on the Dell
in most cases is to let the machine do an image restore if you have not
destroyed the hidden restore partition. With that, you will have the machine
back to it's new condition complete with all the junk trial software. My
machines are considerable tuned and adapted to my needs and losing any data is
not an option. On those machines, a repair install is the only option for me.
I will have already made every effort to recover in place. For me, a
format/clean install comes only as a last resort after any data that can be
recovered is stored away safely on another hard drive. Also, keep in mind you
will need the currently installed product key to do a full format/install.
There are several utilities around that can recover all of your software keys
before you start. Belarc Advisor is a decent one. There are several other free
ones. For some reason, the installed keys in Dell machines does not always
match the one on the case decal. If this is the case, it is not likely the key
on the case will work. When you do a format, the installed key data will be
destroyed along with everything else making a good key very necessary to do a
new install after a format.

All that said, you should do some research on the howto's and ramifications for
each scenario. If you do end up doing a format and yours key(s) won't work, you
may have to make a call to MS to get the key from the case decal installed.
Also, If you machine boots from a SATA harddrive, you will need the drivers for
it and know how to install them before you will be able to get a clean
format/install up and running. In other words, you can turn the machine into a
doorstop until you get the drivers working. You seeing that from someone who
has made most if not all of these mistakes. Learned a little while killing a
lot of time getting it right.

Lugnut

elaich

lugnut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> With that, you will have the machine
> back to it's new condition complete with all the junk trial software.

My buddy just tried this and found himself back to XP Service Pack 1.

PeeCee

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gka7gn$8m5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
> up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
> so probably have nothing to lose.
>
> Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
>
> Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
> disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
>
> Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
>
> I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
> Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
> running the installation disk ?
>
> Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Bob

1 Most folk need to backup: My Documents, Favourites, AddressBook, Emails
and Desktop, only you know if there are files in other locations you want to
save.
I f you are unsure use a drive copy program and Image the drive.
A 2.5" USB powered external hard drive is ideal for this sort of backup
task.
Google should produce a suitable program (DriveImageXML comes to mind)

2 The restore disk that came with your Dell can be used as many times as
required.
Being pre activated you won't have any problems with needing to connect to
the net either so you can do your restore 'disconnected' from the net for
safety.

3 A lot of restore disks provided by big OEMs (HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM etc) are
locked to the model of PC they were supplied with.
Others have reported using Dell XP system disks on other hardware without
problem.
But in your case restoring to the original PC means it should be ok.

4 In most cases the 'Restore' process returns your PC to the state it was
the day you opened the box.
So yes you hard drive is likely to be formatted (cleaned off, wiped, zapped)
hence the suggestion to image your drive in #1

5 If you have all the DELL disks then you shouldn't have to pre download
drivers.
You will have to have the drivers to hand for any new hardware you have
added to the PC since purchase though.

6 You will have to download and install all the service packs and patches
issued for XP since your PC was made.
As someone else posted this could be as far back as service pack 1.
Predownloading SP2 & SP3 may be a sensible move if your PC originally came
with SP1 as this version is very vunerable to online Virus attack and can be
compromised in 10 minutes which is less time than you need to download SP3.

7 The AntiVirus (probably Norton) will of course be the 'old' version and
only have 60-90 days of updates so make sure you have the install files and
key for any newer versions you have downloaded.
If it is Norton be prepared to download up to 40MB of updates as soon as it
connects to the net.

8 Start the restore at a time when you can tend to other chores while you
wait for the installs to complete.

9 Dig out all the software CD's you have installed since buying the PC.

Best luck
Paul.

Charlie

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gka7gn$8m5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
> up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
> so probably have nothing to lose.
>
> Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
>
> Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
> disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
>
> Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
>
> I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
> Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
> running the installation disk ?
>
> Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

It depends what you mean by "completely messed up".

Before you go off the deep end, if there was a time when all was well a
month or so ago, go to "System Restore" and try restoring back to a check
point when all was well. If it works it will save you a lot of work. If it
doesn't all you have done is wasted 15 minutes or so.

Charlie