Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Accessing NTFS drive

Accessing NTFS drive

Paul Blarmy

My daughters PC is broken. I have taken the HD and put it in a USB caddy
and plugged it into my PC. Problem is I cannot access her 'My
Documents' folder - get permission denied.

Looked on the web for solutions but none of them have worked so far.

Got WinXP Home. (Yes, I've booted into SAFE mode and accessed the
security tab but no luck.)

Ubuntu won't let me mount the drive either.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.

wisdomkiller & pain

Paul Blarmy wrote:

> My daughters PC is broken. I have taken the HD and put it in a USB caddy
> and plugged it into my PC. Problem is I cannot access her 'My
> Documents' folder - get permission denied.
>
> Looked on the web for solutions but none of them have worked so far.
>
> Got WinXP Home. (Yes, I've booted into SAFE mode and accessed the
> security tab but no luck.)

You have to check the "advanced" button then, a tab "ownership" and "take
ownership". Do not forget to check the "include subfolders ..." as well.

> Ubuntu won't let me mount the drive either.

mkdir /mnt/windows
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdX1 /mnt/windows
(with x the letter you see for the drive with "fdisk -l")

Paul Blarmy

Thanks for the advice, all sorted now.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.