Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Real time folder mirror software

Real time folder mirror software

Craig Shore

Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

OS=WinXP

EMB

Craig Shore wrote:
> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>
> OS=WinXP

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/...raid_5_happen/

The above will also let you create a RAID-1 array under XP.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:

> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

> Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

You're an ignorant **** aren't you Larry - deliberately snipping out the
OP's mention of Windows XP and then pointing them in the direction of a
Linux only solution?

impossible

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>
> OS=WinXP

I've used this for years on XP machines:

Directory Compare
http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html

The developer's home page is here:
http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html

Richard

Craig Shore wrote:
> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>
> OS=WinXP

Windows live mesh will do it to your live account for web access as well..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4968898d$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
>>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
>>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

>> Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

> You're an ignorant **** aren't you Larry - deliberately snipping out the
> OP's mention of Windows XP and then pointing them in the direction of a
> Linux only solution?

I don't see you suggesting a Dimdows equivalent. Are you actually going to
contribute something to this thread, or are you just here to call people
names?

Craig Shore

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>>
>> OS=WinXP
>>

>I've used this for years on XP machines:
>
>Directory Compare
>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
>
>The developer's home page is here:
>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html

That only does it when you run it doens't it? I'm looking for
something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
the day.

Basically i'm looking at automating the backup of when I put photos
off my camera onto the computer, music, etc. At the moment I put them
onto the computer, then copy them to another drive before I delete
them off the camera. I don't like the idea of having them on a single
drive until the next automated backup that night, I could just imagine
the drive would crap out that afternoon if that was the case.

Grant

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off
> one HD
> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in
> real
> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>
> OS=WinXP

What about suresync www.suresync.com

Enkidu

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
>>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
>>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
>>>
>>> OS=WinXP
>>>

>> I've used this for years on XP machines:
>>
>> Directory Compare
>> http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
>>
>> The developer's home page is here:
>> http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html
>>

> That only does it when you run it doens't it? I'm looking for
> something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
> automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
> I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
> various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
> the day.
>
> Basically i'm looking at automating the backup of when I put photos
> off my camera onto the computer, music, etc. At the moment I put them
> onto the computer, then copy them to another drive before I delete
> them off the camera. I don't like the idea of having them on a single
> drive until the next automated backup that night, I could just imagine
> the drive would crap out that afternoon if that was the case.

Schedule copies for every 5 minutes or whatever makes you feel safe. Use
robocopy or xcopy if you don't like copy.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.