Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > KDE3 vs KDE4

KDE3 vs KDE4

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Allistar wrote:

> I'll upgrade to KDE4 when it's as feature rich as KDE3 and more.

What sort of features are you missing? I've got multiple desktops, some Compiz-Fusion bling, the new Lancelot Menu, some pretty plasmoids, I don't bother with file browsers much, and I'm doing without a disappearing taskbar for now. All the GUI apps work the same regardless. So what else would you like to see?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Besides, KDE4 is not stable in my distribution yet. I run Gentoo.

I believe it's available in the "kde-crazy" overlay. Let the name speak for
itself.

> I'm not going to upgrade just for the sake of it.

Call yourself a Gentoo user.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not going to upgrade just for the sake of it.

>> Call yourself a Gentoo user.

> Yep. I use it as a professional tool as from all that I've tried it meets
> my needs most closely.

You wouldn't rather use Debian?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Allistar wrote:

>>> Yep. I use it as a professional tool as from all that I've tried it
>>> meets my needs most closely.

>> You wouldn't rather use Debian?

> No I wouldn't. Gentoo keeps relatively up to date and it is a breeze to
> upgrade ...

Yeah, but you said yourself you're "not going to upgrade just for the sake
of it". So are you really getting the benefit?