Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > How are Microsoft Press Study Guides?

How are Microsoft Press Study Guides?

Nathan Bryant

Hello Ya'll,

I'm looking to get a simple MCP followed perhaps by a MCSA or MCSE and I
need a 70 270 (XP Professional) book to get started. I was planning on just
getting the Microsoft Press study guide, but I've never used a Microsoft
Press book and I really don't know how they are. Has anyone here used the
official Microsoft Kits or used a better study guide? I appreciate your
response.

Cheers

Nathan Bryant

MCP

I have used MS Press books for all my exams and I am an
MCSA in Windows 2000 and 2003

Herb Martin

Much better than most in general, occasionally weak in specific.

Usually these are as good as anything and you will seldom
waste your money. Typically they are not full of errors as so
many other "series" are.

But consider: Free and probably as good or better:
The built-in and product specific help
TechNet, MSDN, and other MS online resource.

You can pay more but you cannot buy better.

--
Herb Martin
"Nathan Bryant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u3sp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Ya'll,
>
> I'm looking to get a simple MCP followed perhaps by a MCSA or MCSE and I
> need a 70 270 (XP Professional) book to get started. I was planning on

just
> getting the Microsoft Press study guide, but I've never used a Microsoft
> Press book and I really don't know how they are. Has anyone here used the
> official Microsoft Kits or used a better study guide? I appreciate your
> response.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nathan Bryant

Nathan Bryant

Thanks Herb.
I just got my Network+ with a Sybex book, but the book had a few errors and
the software and tests that came with it were rediculous. I've been
considering getting just a couple of good books to study, but it's nice to
have test specific study material.

Nathan

"Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Much better than most in general, occasionally weak in specific.
>
> Usually these are as good as anything and you will seldom
> waste your money. Typically they are not full of errors as so
> many other "series" are.
>
> But consider: Free and probably as good or better:
> The built-in and product specific help
> TechNet, MSDN, and other MS online resource.
>
> You can pay more but you cannot buy better.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
> "Nathan Bryant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u3sp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello Ya'll,
> >
> > I'm looking to get a simple MCP followed perhaps by a MCSA or MCSE and I
> > need a 70 270 (XP Professional) book to get started. I was planning on

> just
> > getting the Microsoft Press study guide, but I've never used a Microsoft
> > Press book and I really don't know how they are. Has anyone here used

the
> > official Microsoft Kits or used a better study guide? I appreciate your
> > response.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Nathan Bryant

Steve O

The MS press books have been adequate for my exams but I
would suggest getting some practise exams other than what
the MS press books provide.

Herb Martin

I have zero respect for Sybex exam/subject books.

They have a serious quality control program.