Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > IP address

IP address

senseofhumor13

I'm not at all offended by your suggestion of
the "dummies" version of the network book. In fact, I
appreciate all the time and thought that you've put into
posting. And, as of matter of fact, I did read a little
bit of "Networking for Dummies" over the weekend. I found
it interesting and informative. I will take your advice
and look into reading the other books as well. Is Ziff
Davis the author for both the TCP/IP book as well as
basic networking?

Thanks again.

that new to network
>computing.
>Your best bet is to pick up a beginners book on TCP/IP,

and one on basic
>networking. Ziff Davis Publishing has some nice ones

or, and please don't
>take
>this the wrong way, the "For Dummy's" series is also

quite nice.
>I used the "TCP/IP for Dummies" book to help me write a

mid-term paper in
>college, it got me an "A". After reading the books my

explanation will
>clear up somewhat I hope. If not, I will be glad to try

and explain it
>better.
>
>Again, I am sorry, and will try to keep your newness to

computing in mind

-------------------

wrote in message
>news:3a0e01c3fd86$26751c40$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the well thoughtout explanation.
>> Unfortunately, none of it sticks to my brain. In case I
>> haven't made it evidently clear, I'm very new to the
>> computer world. I've been learning about computers for
>> the past 6 months or so. Other than the computer repair
>> class and a windows 2000 pro class (which I'm taking
>> now), I have no other experience. I'm going to print

your
>> posting and will look at it periodically. It looks
>> interesting, I just wish it was in english.
>>
>> Thanks

the
>> IP
>> >addresses. As such you decide what the static IP

address
>> >will be.
>> >
>> >For example, here is a network with the following

>> equipment.
>> >2 - 2003 Advanced Servers acting as Domain Controllers

>> (DC1 and 2)
>> > and DNS servers
>> >1 - 2003 Advanced Server acting as a file server (FS)
>> >1 - Desktop Workstation
>> >1 - Laptop Workstation with wireless 802.11b

capability
>> >1 - Cable modem router providing DHCP services
>> >1 - Print server PS
>> >
>> >Since you are developing the network you decide to

>> configure it
>> >as Class C using the usual 192.168.1.x IP address

setup.

>> >Each DC needs a static IP since they are also DNS

>> servers. To be consistent
>> >lets also
>> >assign the file and print servers static IP addresses

>> also.
>> > So lets assign DC1 and IP address of 192.168.1.200
>> > DC2 gets 192.168.1.201
>> > Next FS gets 192.168.1.210 (lets leave some space

>> for other servers)
>> > Finally PS gets 192.168.1.240 (again more room for

>> other equipment)
>> >
>> >All the servers are connected to the router with an 8

>> port hub. Here you
>> >have developed
>> >the IP addresses for each of your servers.
>> >
>> >The workstation and laptop still use DHCP for their

>> address and connect
>> >directly
>> >to the router.
>> >
>> >Now the router uses DHCP itself to get an IP address

>> from your ISP
>> >and uses its internal DHCP to hand out addresses to

the
>> internal network.
>> >It also assigns itself the IP address 192.168.1.1 so

>> that it can communicate
>> >on the internal network. If you want to use a fixed

IP
>> address to connect
>> >to your ISP you will need to get on from them for the

>> router. Also you need
>> >to configure your router so that it will not hand out

>> any IP addresses
>> >greater than
>> >192.168.1.199 or lower than 192.168.1.2.
>> >
>> >Lets say the ISP assigns address 68.50.5.132 either

via
>> >DHCP or you enter it as a static address after asking

>> them for it.
>> >
>> >An example of the address route to the workstation

would
>> then be:
>> >ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

>> on the router
>> >Internally we go through the router from IP address

>> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
>> >From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

>> network to
>> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.200 on

DC1.

>> >If we went from the ISP to DC1 it would be:
>> >ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

>> on the router
>> >Internally we go through the router from IP address

>> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
>> >From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

>> network to
>> > static IP address 192.168.1.200 on DC1.
>> >
>> >Hopefully that helps and my explanation hasn't

confused
>> things further,
>> >I just wish I had a way of showing this with pictures

>> also.
>> >--
>> >Alan G
>> >"He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"
>> >------------------------------------------------------

---
>> -------------------
>> >---
>> >

>> >"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> wrote in message
>> >news:073d01c3fd4f$f53e2440$(E-Mail Removed)...

the
>> IP

message

>> another's

you

>> >.
>> >

>.

LnkWizard

I stand corrected, it looks like the Ziff Davis Books I
was thinking about are actually put out by QUE
Publishing www.quepublishing.,com. They have
quite a series on networking my suggestion is:
"Absolute Beginners Guide to Networking"
Joe Habraken
ISBN 0-7897-2545-2

Continue reading your "Networking for Dummies" and pick up
"TCP/IP for Dummies" and you will have a good basic
set of books to build your knowledge with.
--
Alan G
---

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c6001c3ffc6$9489eb60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not at all offended by your suggestion of
> the "dummies" version of the network book. In fact, I
> appreciate all the time and thought that you've put into
> posting. And, as of matter of fact, I did read a little
> bit of "Networking for Dummies" over the weekend. I found
> it interesting and informative. I will take your advice
> and look into reading the other books as well. Is Ziff
> Davis the author for both the TCP/IP book as well as
> basic networking?
>
> Thanks again.

senseofhumor13

Will do. Thanks again for all your input.

wrote in message
>news:4c6001c3ffc6$9489eb60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not at all offended by your suggestion of
>> the "dummies" version of the network book. In fact, I
>> appreciate all the time and thought that you've put

into
>> posting. And, as of matter of fact, I did read a little
>> bit of "Networking for Dummies" over the weekend. I

found
>> it interesting and informative. I will take your advice
>> and look into reading the other books as well. Is Ziff
>> Davis the author for both the TCP/IP book as well as
>> basic networking?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>.

senseofhumor13

I forgot to ask you, any suggestions on any particular
order that I should read these books?

wrote in message
>news:4c6001c3ffc6$9489eb60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not at all offended by your suggestion of
>> the "dummies" version of the network book. In fact, I
>> appreciate all the time and thought that you've put

into
>> posting. And, as of matter of fact, I did read a little
>> bit of "Networking for Dummies" over the weekend. I

found
>> it interesting and informative. I will take your advice
>> and look into reading the other books as well. Is Ziff
>> Davis the author for both the TCP/IP book as well as
>> basic networking?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>.

LnkWizard

All I can say is for me it worked best to read the networking
first and then the TCP/IP second since the TCP/IP uses references
networking terms. I am curious as to Sue's suggestions on this
including books a to read an such.

--
Alan G
---

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:22ea01c3ffd8$9b180f90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I forgot to ask you, any suggestions on any particular
> order that I should read these books?

Brat

I never had a TCP book during my MCSE studies... actually, subnetting became
very clear and easy for me during my CCNA course taken one month after my
210 course. Right now I am reading a phenominal book on TCP/IP
(http://www.ciscopress.com/search/ind...+Site&searchty
pe=Author&searchstring=jeff+doyle - I have both of these) that have
clarified a few more issues for me on my road to CCNP. They are part of the
new Cisco CCIE Professional Development Series. But at $63 USD/book, they
are pretty expensive for just one topic and geared towards configuring
TCP/IP and the routing protocols on cisco routers/switches.

--
Sue MCNGP #69

"LnkWizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OlzPBs9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All I can say is for me it worked best to read the networking
> first and then the TCP/IP second since the TCP/IP uses references
> networking terms. I am curious as to Sue's suggestions on this
> including books a to read an such.
>
> --
> Alan G
> "He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"

> ---
>

> "senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:22ea01c3ffd8$9b180f90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I forgot to ask you, any suggestions on any particular
> > order that I should read these books?

Brat

oh and as always, www.learntosubnet.com is a GREAT resource.

After some research, I have found the following books/sites that might help
him out.....

www.learntcpip.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details
<--- this one looks informative

http://www.idiotbooks.com/idiotdummybookstcpip.html <-- you'll be surprised
here

http://www.google.ca/search?q=tcp/ip...8&start=0&sa=N
<--- TONS here

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/te...CPIP/tcpip.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...d_trb_tctu.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000..._implement.asp

<--- REAL cheap used

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...078536-6868164 <-- and
many more

lol I could go on and on but you get the idea
--
Sue MCNGP #69

"LnkWizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OlzPBs9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All I can say is for me it worked best to read the networking
> first and then the TCP/IP second since the TCP/IP uses references
> networking terms. I am curious as to Sue's suggestions on this
> including books a to read an such.
>
> --
> Alan G
> "He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"

> ---
>

> "senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:22ea01c3ffd8$9b180f90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I forgot to ask you, any suggestions on any particular
> > order that I should read these books?

senseofhumor13

Thanks for all your info and input. You always go the
extra mile to help me out and I'm always grateful for
your help. I'll check out the books that you've suggested
and the websites as well.

Btw, I think you asked me before which book I was using
for my 210 class. I'm using MCSE Windows 2000
Professional by Syngress

searchgroup=Entire+Site&searchty