Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > IP address

IP address

LnkWizard

Dang, how'd you find out? I thought I was keeping that hidden.

--
Alan G
---

news:evdFEDX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LnkWizard opined, On 2/27/04 12:25 PM:
>
> > Eventually I'll find a happy medium I guess.
> >

> Definition of a psychic on prozac

senseofhumor13

Thanks for the well thoughtout explanation.
Unfortunately, none of it sticks to my brain. In case I
haven't made it evidently clear, I'm very new to the
computer world. I've been learning about computers for
the past 6 months or so. Other than the computer repair
class and a windows 2000 pro class (which I'm taking
now), I have no other experience. I'm going to print your
posting and will look at it periodically. It looks
interesting, I just wish it was in english.

Thanks

IP
>addresses. As such you decide what the static IP address
>will be.
>
>For example, here is a network with the following

equipment.
>2 - 2003 Advanced Servers acting as Domain Controllers

(DC1 and 2)
> and DNS servers
>1 - 2003 Advanced Server acting as a file server (FS)
>1 - Desktop Workstation
>1 - Laptop Workstation with wireless 802.11b capability
>1 - Cable modem router providing DHCP services
>1 - Print server PS
>
>Since you are developing the network you decide to

configure it
>as Class C using the usual 192.168.1.x IP address setup.
>
>Each DC needs a static IP since they are also DNS

servers. To be consistent
>lets also
>assign the file and print servers static IP addresses

also.
> So lets assign DC1 and IP address of 192.168.1.200
> DC2 gets 192.168.1.201
> Next FS gets 192.168.1.210 (lets leave some space

for other servers)
> Finally PS gets 192.168.1.240 (again more room for

other equipment)

>All the servers are connected to the router with an 8

port hub. Here you
>have developed
>the IP addresses for each of your servers.
>
>The workstation and laptop still use DHCP for their

address and connect
>directly
>to the router.
>
>Now the router uses DHCP itself to get an IP address

from your ISP
>and uses its internal DHCP to hand out addresses to the

internal network.
>It also assigns itself the IP address 192.168.1.1 so

that it can communicate
>on the internal network. If you want to use a fixed IP

address to connect
>to your ISP you will need to get on from them for the

router. Also you need
>to configure your router so that it will not hand out

any IP addresses
>greater than
>192.168.1.199 or lower than 192.168.1.2.
>
>Lets say the ISP assigns address 68.50.5.132 either via
>DHCP or you enter it as a static address after asking

them for it.

>An example of the address route to the workstation would

then be:
>ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

on the router
>Internally we go through the router from IP address

> the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
>From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

network to
> the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.200 on DC1.
>

>If we went from the ISP to DC1 it would be:
>ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

on the router
>Internally we go through the router from IP address

> the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
>From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

network to
> static IP address 192.168.1.200 on DC1.
>
>Hopefully that helps and my explanation hasn't confused

things further,
>I just wish I had a way of showing this with pictures

also.

-------------------

wrote in message
>news:073d01c3fd4f$f53e2440$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't quite understand how I would come up with the

IP
>> address on my own, please explain.

another's
>> network.
>> >However, if you are running your own network, then you

>> come up
>> >with it yourself.
>> >

>> >.
>> >

>.

senseofhumor13

What's your definition of "hard time"?

I called USPS...Newman answered, so I hung up. I called
again and Cliffy answered. Damn, I can't get a break.

senseofhumor13

Is RTFM anything like TGIF? Confused, please explain.

JaR

senseofhumor13 opined, On 2/27/04 3:11 PM:
> Is RTFM anything like TGIF? Confused, please explain.

Read The Fscking Manual

ME

feel sorry for you.
you can check out http://usps.com/postalinspectors/
last time I released my address and couldn't get the same address. I
contacted people at this site and they gave me back my old address plus one
more for backup.

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:363a01c3fd86$c836b7a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's your definition of "hard time"?
>
> I called USPS...Newman answered, so I hung up. I called
> again and Cliffy answered. Damn, I can't get a break.

Brat

lol I cant believe I am doing this... but give the kid a break... he is new
but he is also very willing to learn and research information. I have had a
few intelligent conversations with him before. However, Rick (?- sorry for
the memory loss soh13), JaR is right too... you do need to read up more in
your text books.

I think what happened here was too much information too quickly and he got a
brain overload...

--
Sue MCNGP #69

news:eN9NTTV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> senseofhumor13 opined, On 2/27/04 8:37 AM:
>
> > I don't quite understand how I would come up with the IP
> > address on my own, please explain.
> >

> Ferchrissakes, bud! RTFM!
>
> JaR
> Elementary Thug

senseofhumor13

Thanks for coming to my defense Brat but I don't take
their criticisms or taunting seriously. I know I have a
lot to learn and often, I don't quite understand what's
obvious to you guys. I don't even mind the laughter at my
expense. In fact, I'd sort of expected it. Besides, some
of the guys are actually pretty helpful.

senseofhumor13

Thanks for the advise. Of course, I will read further but
sometimes, it's just easier to ask. Was my question that
lame?

early
>on in your training. You need to understand what an IP
>address is and how it is used in a TCP network then you

will
>know how to _get_ one.
>
>Further reading is advised.
>
>kpg
>

>.

LnkWizard

I do apologize for that, I didn't realize that you were that new to network
computing.
Your best bet is to pick up a beginners book on TCP/IP, and one on basic
networking. Ziff Davis Publishing has some nice ones or, and please don't
take
this the wrong way, the "For Dummy's" series is also quite nice.
I used the "TCP/IP for Dummies" book to help me write a mid-term paper in
college, it got me an "A". After reading the books my explanation will
clear up somewhat I hope. If not, I will be glad to try and explain it
better.

Again, I am sorry, and will try to keep your newness to computing in mind
if I get the opportunity to answer further questions.
--
Alan G
---

news:3a0e01c3fd86$26751c40$(E-Mail Removed)...