Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

MCSA: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

Dan Adams

Which MCSA track should I pursue: 2000 or 2003? I've got
about five years (solid) experience running small (less
than 200 users) Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 Server networks,
plus an outdated MCP in Windows NT 4.0 Server. I
currently run a 150 node Windows 2000 domain with no
plans to upgrade to 2003 until early next year (blame it
on the enterprise / exchange folks!)

Since my day-to-day taks are with Windows 2000, should I
take the easy route and stick with Windows 2000
certification exams, or setup a Windows 2003 lab just for
practise?

Dan Adams

Paul

If I were you, I would get the MCSE 2000 first and then
upgrade to W2k3 with the 2 upgrade tests. That way, you
will have 2 MCSE's with only 9 tests.

Colin Nash [MVP]

I wonder if a hiring manager would really say "Sorry, we run 2000 here.
Your 2003 cert is meaningless. Goodbye!"

I can see it with NT vs 2000 but 2000 vs 2003????

news:117f201c3f4ed$e8bcf530$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I were you, I would get the MCSE 2000 first and then
> upgrade to W2k3 with the 2 upgrade tests. That way, you
> will have 2 MCSE's with only 9 tests.

Herb Martin

Unless you are well into your Win2000 MCSE, then if you have to ask
you should do the Win2003.

Most people take far to long to complete these. No one should ever
PLAN to take more than six months. If you are doing more than one
test a month you are doing it the hard way.

(This does not mean that it is bad to take over six months, just don't have
a plan that is longer than that. Build an AGGRESSIVE plan to learn the
material and take the exams. Then, just do it -- the best you can.)

--
Herb Martin
"Dan Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1137101c3f4e9$41818370$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which MCSA track should I pursue: 2000 or 2003? I've got
> about five years (solid) experience running small (less
> than 200 users) Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 Server networks,
> plus an outdated MCP in Windows NT 4.0 Server. I
> currently run a 150 node Windows 2000 domain with no
> plans to upgrade to 2003 until early next year (blame it
> on the enterprise / exchange folks!)
>
> Since my day-to-day taks are with Windows 2000, should I
> take the easy route and stick with Windows 2000
> certification exams, or setup a Windows 2003 lab just for
> practise?
>
> Dan Adams

Dan Adams

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I chose to consider the 2000
track was because I dont have day-to-day access to a production
Windows 2003 network. But I guess it's time to build a test lab

BTw, what would you recommend in study guides for the MCSA/MCSE 2003
track?

"Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ujPjj$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Unless you are well into your Win2000 MCSE, then if you have to ask
> you should do the Win2003.
>
> Most people take far to long to complete these. No one should ever
> PLAN to take more than six months. If you are doing more than one
> test a month you are doing it the hard way.
>
> (This does not mean that it is bad to take over six months, just don't have
> a plan that is longer than that. Build an AGGRESSIVE plan to learn the
> material and take the exams. Then, just do it -- the best you can.)
>
> --
> Herb Martin
> "Dan Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1137101c3f4e9$41818370$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Which MCSA track should I pursue: 2000 or 2003? I've got
> > about five years (solid) experience running small (less
> > than 200 users) Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 Server networks,
> > plus an outdated MCP in Windows NT 4.0 Server. I
> > currently run a 150 node Windows 2000 domain with no
> > plans to upgrade to 2003 until early next year (blame it
> > on the enterprise / exchange folks!)
> >
> > Since my day-to-day taks are with Windows 2000, should I
> > take the easy route and stick with Windows 2000
> > certification exams, or setup a Windows 2003 lab just for
> > practise?
> >
> > Dan Adams

Herb Martin

"Dan Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks for the reply. The only reason I chose to consider the 2000
> track was because I dont have day-to-day access to a production
> Windows 2003 network. But I guess it's time to build a test lab

Actually it's better if you do NOT use a production machine for most of your
study. It's much better to be able to "tear it up". If you don't destroy
it a couple
of times you aren't experimenting enough.

You really should free yourself to try everything; re-install; repeat.

I train a lot of Microsoft Consultants (MCS), and I always tell them they
need a
machine with Win2003 Server (they interupt, "Of course") and they I
finish "that you can tear up". Of course they have the OS, but they need
the
freedom to experiment.

> BTw, what would you recommend in study guides for the MCSA/MCSE 2003
> track?

The MS outlines; built-in HELP; TechNet <--- REALLY ALL YOUR NEED

Maybe: "Win2003 Server Delta Guide" (cheap and small, not that accurate
about
what is "new" versus Win2000, but excellent quick yet USEFUL coverage of
most
important areas, especially the new stuff.)

Maybe: MS Press titles for various specific subjects (but these have been
going down
in quality while the Help and Technet always get better.)

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<ujPjj$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Unless you are well into your Win2000 MCSE, then if you have to ask
> > you should do the Win2003.
> >
> > Most people take far to long to complete these. No one should ever
> > PLAN to take more than six months. If you are doing more than one
> > test a month you are doing it the hard way.
> >
> > (This does not mean that it is bad to take over six months, just don't

have
> > a plan that is longer than that. Build an AGGRESSIVE plan to learn the
> > material and take the exams. Then, just do it -- the best you can.)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> > "Dan Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:1137101c3f4e9$41818370$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Which MCSA track should I pursue: 2000 or 2003? I've got
> > > about five years (solid) experience running small (less
> > > than 200 users) Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 Server networks,
> > > plus an outdated MCP in Windows NT 4.0 Server. I
> > > currently run a 150 node Windows 2000 domain with no
> > > plans to upgrade to 2003 until early next year (blame it
> > > on the enterprise / exchange folks!)
> > >
> > > Since my day-to-day taks are with Windows 2000, should I
> > > take the easy route and stick with Windows 2000
> > > certification exams, or setup a Windows 2003 lab just for
> > > practise?
> > >
> > > Dan Adams

Colin Nash [MVP]

Grab the free eval version of Windows 2003 server (and other products) from
Microsoft's site. See if you can get your hands on VMWare or VirtualPC if
you don't want to invest time and floorspace with a 'real network'

Or get an MSDN subscription