Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > double checking advice

double checking advice

Lisandro

I plan to implement a network in my uncles office.. simple client/server
infrastructure. The main purpose for the network is for hosting the
company's website....and be able to have its own email system. I need to be
able to send hundreds of emails to prospective clients. Basically bulk
email. Is it there anything else i might be missing or do i have to
outsource for this in order to do bulk mail. This solution wouldnt be so
cost effective if i cant bulk mail. Would my ISP put restrictions on my
connection ...or is it a matter of the capacity of my server?

I plan to implement windows server 2003 supporting win 2k and xp clients

any advice or help would be grately appreciated...just need to double check
with you guys on your recommendations and advice on how to go about it

Herb Martin

"Lisandro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#Y$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I plan to implement a network in my uncles office.. simple client/server
> infrastructure. The main purpose for the network is for hosting the
> company's website....and be able to have its own email system. I need to

be
> able to send hundreds of emails to prospective clients.

First, this isn't really an MCSA question although you might find help on
this group;
likely you would receive more focused assistance on a "networking" or
"email"
newsgroup.

> Basically bulk email.

Not everyone wants to help setup more spammers. So you might clarify the
purpose, whether this is a mailing list of your own clients or whatever....

> Is it there anything else i might be missing or do i have to
> outsource for this in order to do bulk mail.

You might be missing an email server? Which one do you plan to use? What
OS will you use it on?

> This solution wouldnt be so
> cost effective if i cant bulk mail. Would my ISP put restrictions on my
> connection ...or is it a matter of the capacity of my server?

Depends on whether you are spamming or sending to legitimate clients and
willing contacts.

> I plan to implement windows server 2003 supporting win 2k and xp clients

This is a realatively simple part. You will likely want to run an
inexpensive email
server like FTGate or a not too expensive "list server" like Lyris but these
are
just my personal choices.

> any advice or help would be grately appreciated...just need to double

check
> with you guys on your recommendations and advice on how to go about it

Probably if you have to ask you haven't even considered the DNS, nor the POP
server
for inbound email....

--
Herb Martin

James Martin

First off, if you're planning on doing bulk-email, I highly suggest you get
legal advice, as there are some very restrictive new laws in place (US) that
will quickly shut down your uncle's entire business if not followed.

If you are hosting a website, outsourcing is the way to go for a small
business. For $100 or less a year you'll get plenty of storage space and
bandwidth, plus they're often scalable and they'll guarantee uptime. Your
standard DSL/Cable modem connection won't cut it, as they are often severely
limited in the upload speeds, and real solutions will cost you much more
than outsourcing. (People don't outsource for fun, it makes good economic
sense.)

news:%23Y$(E-Mail Removed)...