Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Starting my journey

Starting my journey

Meister Man

Greetings: I just passed 210, and am getting ready for 215 in 2 wks, just 2 quick questions. I have seen posts of "scores" from exams, where are they obtained from ???? Also, how much weight does a MCSA carry today ?? I will be changing careers after the certification process and am curious as to what the "real world" holds

Regard

C Calami

James Martin

Hey Meister Man,

Scores depend on the test you take. Every test I've taken so far has a
numerical score on them, but I'm following the 2003 track, and from what I
understand they had switched to PASS/FAIL for some exams, then switched
back, but it's like MS is testifying before congress on the whole scoring
issue, "I have no recollection of that matter, senator."

MCSA, *in my humble opinion*, is just a stepping stone towards MCSE.. I
don't think you'll find a job just with an MCSA since employers don't know
anything but MCSE, however it might help when combined with other certs. If
you search the job boards for MCSA and MCSE you'll see what I mean. It's
not that an MCSA isn't capable of most of the positions (After all, MCSA is
targeted I think for < 5000 computers, MCSE > 5,000--more infrastructure),
they just don't know any better.

If you're trying to jump into IT, I wouldn't hold your breath. I've got
over 8 years experience (Including consulting for several Fortune 100s), a
degree from a top school in MIS, certs from Comptia and MS and a diminishing
number of unemployment checks coming to me after my employer went out of
business last year.

"Meister Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings: I just passed 210, and am getting ready for 215 in 2 wks,

just 2 quick questions. I have seen posts of "scores" from exams, where are
they obtained from ???? Also, how much weight does a MCSA carry today ??
I will be changing careers after the certification process and am curious as
to what the "real world" holds.

> Regards
>
> C Calamis

I think MS just started going back to scores. Test that I
took in 2002 had a score, others that I took in 2003
didn't have a score and 3 that I've taken this year had a
score.

As for the MCSA cert... The way that I understood it was
MCSE was for positions where you needed to design a
network, MCSA was like a MCSE but without the ability (or
certified ability) to design the network from the ground
up. If you look at the tests that are required for the
two you could bypass things that are needed for MCSE such
as the 218 test which deals with lots of subnetting and
so on that are needed to implement a new network. While
most places would be better off with a MCSA since most
companies already have a network in place and just needs
someone to make sure it keeps working. Most employers
don't know that MCSA exsist or don't know what the role
of a MCSA is.

As for changing your career to IT... I have to agree with
James' opinion on this. I've been in IT for about 10
years. I have a very impressive list of things that I've
done over those 10 years. I'm 2 test short of being MCSE
(simply because I don't want to take them), I'm MCSA and
MCDST, I've trained other techs that are still in the
business now with other companies, and I have a wall full
of certs that I've taken from Comptia, Brainbench, and
NCSA just because I felt like taking a test when I ran
across their site and still had room on the wall as well
as an associates in CS. Now granted I have a nice paying
job (about 60k or so) but in order to keep that salary I
find myself having to move from my great house in Indiana
to an apartment in Iowa. Nothing wrong with Iowa, but if
I wanted to live there, that's where I would have bought
my house. Also starting pay in this profession is usually
pretty low. When I started (without the certs but with
the degree) I was making 6 bucks an hour. When I left the
first company that I worked for to find greener pastures
(after 3 years) I was making 30k a year. Lots of places
that I interviewed with was very curious as to what my
salary was since I had done so many things and wore so
many hats at the first company (this included training,
web administration & development, NT administration, R&D,
and a smudge of Novell and Linux administration. When
they heard 30k I was no longing in the running for that
job. I know, the rules of interviewing prohibits talking
salary but they wanted a straight answer as to what I was
currently making and I told them.
Now at 10 years and 60k later finding a job paying that
is like finding a needle in a haystack. And I've heard
the same from others in the field also. Jobs are scarce
and good paying jobs are even more so. Since I don't like
moving to stay employed I'll tell you what, if you can
wait around for another 2 years you can have my job since
my next big move is going to be getting out of this
profession for something else. Plus you throw in the
overseas outsourcing mania that's going on now and things
don't look to good. But I figure that I'll be ok for
another couple of years.

Samantha Hyatt

At least I can give you better news But first I have to say I'm sorry to hear about your turn of bad luck James.

I too am recently just starting out on "my journey" and DID manage to land a job with just my MCSA in a consulting firm. I'm also pursuing my degree in E-Business and that has gone over very well with every firm I've interviewed with. They like the fact that I am getting a degree that is both technical and business oriented. Some tips I can recommend are for you to search within your current industry for IT jobs. What I mean is look inside your own company's IT dept first. Most times, you'll find that they are more than willing to transfer your dept than to lose you completely. If that doesn't work, try looking into companies that relate to what you're currently doing. If you're in HR, look at IT firms to cater to HR applications etc. The goal here is for you to walk in having more than just your MCSA to offer the company. A working knowledge of the industry is the best thing you have going for you.

As to your question about scored tests. All the W2K exams prior to 218 are scored PASS/FAIL but as James pointed out, MS has reverted back to scoring. Your first few tests in the W2K MCSE track are not going to be scored but after 218, you'll see the scores again.

Good Luck in your pursuit. The jobs are out there..... I promise.

--
Samantha Hyatt

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"James Martin" <martin 426 At yahoo> wrote in message news:%23Vj%(E-Mail Removed)...
Hey Meister Man,

Scores depend on the test you take. Every test I've taken so far has a
numerical score on them, but I'm following the 2003 track, and from what I
understand they had switched to PASS/FAIL for some exams, then switched
back, but it's like MS is testifying before congress on the whole scoring
issue, "I have no recollection of that matter, senator."

MCSA, *in my humble opinion*, is just a stepping stone towards MCSE.. I
don't think you'll find a job just with an MCSA since employers don't know
anything but MCSE, however it might help when combined with other certs. If
you search the job boards for MCSA and MCSE you'll see what I mean. It's
not that an MCSA isn't capable of most of the positions (After all, MCSA is
targeted I think for < 5000 computers, MCSE > 5,000--more infrastructure),
they just don't know any better.

If you're trying to jump into IT, I wouldn't hold your breath. I've got
over 8 years experience (Including consulting for several Fortune 100s), a
degree from a top school in MIS, certs from Comptia and MS and a diminishing
number of unemployment checks coming to me after my employer went out of
business last year.

"Meister Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings: I just passed 210, and am getting ready for 215 in 2 wks,

just 2 quick questions. I have seen posts of "scores" from exams, where are
they obtained from ???? Also, how much weight does a MCSA carry today ??
I will be changing careers after the certification process and am curious as
to what the "real world" holds.

> Regards
>
> C Calamis

MSGuru

some comments...

One man's case has nothing to do with the entire population of
administrators....I think this is a great professions with jobs paying as
much as 100K + once you reach that level. you obviously have to start low. I
have an MS in IT after a BE in electrical engineering ( I hated it) and am
now on a certification gathering spree...i landed my first job with 35k
going up to 45 k in a year....
I am 24.

I see myself definetly in the 60' bracket in the next year or so and from
there on its about how smart you are..I also dont see myself working for
someone else for very long anyways.

The jobs are not going anywhere in 2 years or 5 years....do whatever you do
honestly and you will be where you want to be.Work hard...and dont lose
sight of the prize.

- Guru

news:bf0b01c3edc6$9c6d4460$(E-Mail Removed)...