Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > how to respond

how to respond

scott

How do you respond to someone you work with that knows
everything? I have been testing some servers in order to
upgrade a large workgroup of computers to a domain. All
the testing has worked with the PC, but we have some UNIX
systems that are going to be on the network. I have two
servers running DNS and one running DHCP. When I
suggested attaching a UNIX box for testing my one know it
all co-worker stated, "We'll have to assign all these
systems static IP addresses because these UNIX systems
won't do DNS."

What should I say or have said to this guy?

Thanks.

James Martin

Hey Scott,

You're going to meet lots of people in this business who *think* they know
everything, but rest assured that they do not. The real skill and talent in
IT is the ability to solve problems you *haven't* encountered before
combined with your ability to share and work with others. Contrary to some
people's belief, IT is hardly ever a "one-man show."

Your coworker is incorrect. He may be referring to UNIX's ability to
auto-update it's DNS record, and that may be true depending on what you're
running, but you can set it up such that the Windows DHCP server does all
the DNS maintanance and retains ownership of the DNS record.

I can only assume that this coworker has a history of being condescending
towards you because being mistaken isn't such a big deal if one can admit
it. You might try confronting him/her about it?

"scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8a0301c3e98f$3b90db10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you respond to someone you work with that knows
> everything? I have been testing some servers in order to
> upgrade a large workgroup of computers to a domain. All
> the testing has worked with the PC, but we have some UNIX
> systems that are going to be on the network. I have two
> servers running DNS and one running DHCP. When I
> suggested attaching a UNIX box for testing my one know it
> all co-worker stated, "We'll have to assign all these
> systems static IP addresses because these UNIX systems
> won't do DNS."
>
> What should I say or have said to this guy?
>
> Thanks.

Kidder

All I know about UNIX is they have been castrated

sux

"scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8a0301c3e98f$3b90db10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you respond to someone you work with that knows
> everything? I have been testing some servers in order to
> upgrade a large workgroup of computers to a domain. All
> the testing has worked with the PC, but we have some UNIX
> systems that are going to be on the network. I have two
> servers running DNS and one running DHCP. When I
> suggested attaching a UNIX box for testing my one know it
> all co-worker stated, "We'll have to assign all these
> systems static IP addresses because these UNIX systems
> won't do DNS."
>
> What should I say or have said to this guy?

I would say or you would have to say: "Then tell your doofus Unix machine to
pass his DNS requests to MY Windows Servers!" and: "Static addresses my
*ss, go back to the seventees, now get back to yor basement freak!"

> Thanks.

yw.

--

Mzzl,