Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > A+ certificate

A+ certificate

senseofhumor13

Can anyone tell me if an A+ cert is absolutely required
as an elective to obtain an mcsa cert? I see that it's
listed as such on the microsoft website but I've also
been told that hardly anyone ever takes the A+ exam
anymore which is quite conflicting.

Please help, I'm very confused.

Thanks

Brat

no you do not HAVE to take the A+ exams as they are electives not
core/manditory exams... however, A+ is still a very important cert and very
common... IMHO, I would say A+ is almost a manditory for any tech... you
really need to know hardware to work as a tech

--
Sue Thugette #69

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:632d01c3e5c6$f95553f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if an A+ cert is absolutely required
> as an elective to obtain an mcsa cert? I see that it's
> listed as such on the microsoft website but I've also
> been told that hardly anyone ever takes the A+ exam
> anymore which is quite conflicting.
>
> Please help, I'm very confused.
>
> Thanks

JaR

"Brat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> no you do not HAVE to take the A+ exams as they are electives not
> core/manditory exams... however, A+ is still a very important cert and

very
> common...

I agree. You certainly do not HAVE to take the A+ or the Net+ certs to be
MCSA/E. You definitely should be ABLE to pass them, however.

JaR
A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP #22

senseofhumor13

Hey Brat, thanks for the response. I have a follow up
question if you don't mind. If A+ is still a significant
part of being an IT, then why are less and less people
taking A+ exams? And if you don't mind me asking, what do
you do for living and how long did it take you to obtain
a mcsa cert (assuming you do)?

wrote in message
>news:632d01c3e5c6$f95553f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anyone tell me if an A+ cert is absolutely required
>> as an elective to obtain an mcsa cert? I see that it's
>> listed as such on the microsoft website but I've also
>> been told that hardly anyone ever takes the A+ exam
>> anymore which is quite conflicting.
>>
>> Please help, I'm very confused.
>>
>> Thanks

>.

Hey JaR, thank you too for your response. Please continue
to hold my hand and give me guidance and share your
fortune cookie wisdom so that I too can be an unemployed
IT.

message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> no you do not HAVE to take the A+ exams as they are

electives not
>> core/manditory exams... however, A+ is still a very

important cert and
>very
>> common...

>I agree. You certainly do not HAVE to take the A+ or the

Net+ certs to be
>MCSA/E. You definitely should be ABLE to pass them,

however.

>JaR
>A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP #22
>

>.

kpg

Fewer people taking the A+?

A+ used to be THE entry level cert. Now I guess it
got replaced by MSCA/MCSE as the NEW entry level cert.

Brat

I think it is mainly because most people think of an A+ tech as the guy in
the back room switching out hard drives in a pc repair shop... and it can
be... but if you want to be a sys admin someday, you need to know how to do
the hardware things as well as the networking side...

As for my MCSA... I got it last spring... I was going for my MCSE and was
almost completed when they came out with MCSA so instead of doing 221 I did
218 and got both Took me just over a year but that was also while I was
attending college so I took my time doing the certs... I took my first cert
215 in Sep 2001 and I got my last (21 in Jan 2003. I was just hired as a
Team Manager at a Call Center with 50 subordinates.

--
Sue Thugette #69

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:65fd01c3e5ee$b02e0910$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Brat, thanks for the response. I have a follow up
> question if you don't mind. If A+ is still a significant
> part of being an IT, then why are less and less people
> taking A+ exams? And if you don't mind me asking, what do
> you do for living and how long did it take you to obtain
> a mcsa cert (assuming you do)?

JaR

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5cf201c3e5ef$2ecdce90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey JaR, thank you too for your response. Please continue
> to hold my hand and give me guidance and share your
> fortune cookie wisdom so that I too can be an unemployed
> IT.

No problem. I hear unemployment is lovely this time of year.

senseofhumor13

Thanks again Brat. Hey, so, if I'm capable of upgrading,
replacing and recognizing computer parts, that should be
sufficient correct? I shouldn't have to know all the
minor and technical details do I?

On another note, I'm just getting started so, I'm
studying for 290, is that the right exam to start with?
What are 221 and 218, I don't see them on the list as
core exams or electives?

wrote in message
>news:65fd01c3e5ee$b02e0910$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey Brat, thanks for the response. I have a follow up
>> question if you don't mind. If A+ is still a

significant
>> part of being an IT, then why are less and less people
>> taking A+ exams? And if you don't mind me asking, what

do
>> you do for living and how long did it take you to

obtain
>> a mcsa cert (assuming you do)?

Brat

"senseofhumor13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6c9401c3e696$13930170$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks again Brat. Hey, so, if I'm capable of upgrading,
> replacing and recognizing computer parts, that should be
> sufficient correct? I shouldn't have to know all the
> minor and technical details do I?

it helps... when a user cannot connect to the network, you have to know what
to check... a lot of times (in my experience) it can be as simple as
reinstalling a protocol or other simple solution so the more you know, the
better off you are. I guess it depends on what job you end up having. If
you are unemployed, or not employed in the IT field yet, you cannot know
what your job will require. So you really have to plan for everything. You
do not want to be in a job that requires that you know all the little things
if you do not know them, right? Besides, A+ is a great foundation to build
off of, IMHO.

> On another note, I'm just getting started so, I'm
> studying for 290, is that the right exam to start with?
> What are 221 and 218, I don't see them on the list as
> core exams or electives?

What track are you following? 2003? if so...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

if 2000 :

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

I did the 2000 track and will eventually do my 2k3 upgrade (after I complete
my CCNP exams this year). So I did the 2000 equivalent of 290. I took 210,
215, 216, 216, 224, 219, and 218 to get both my MCSE and MCSA. I also have
my A+ but that was before the MCSA track and the 218 exam even existed.