Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Can I run this past you...

Can I run this past you...

Paul

I have a small network consisting of 1 DC (Win2K). As the
only server in my domain it is the root domain, global
catalog server, etc.

I would like to bring online another DC in the same
domain, assign all the roles e.g. global catalog server,
operations master, etc to this second DC server, and then
finally decomission the original server.

Ignoring the fact that a domain should ideally contain 2
DC's - are there any glearing omissions in my plan. My
main concern is that I understand that the first DC in a
forest plays a special role and I am concerned that if I
move everything across to the new DC, I might screw up the
AD once I take the old DC offline.

Any thoughts of comments welcome

Dave

Paul, I have done a similar operation on a large production domain with no
problems. As long as you transfer the 5 fsmo roles and make the server a GC
you should be OK. Don't forget to install DNS also.

news:52ba01c3e4e7$e3c5b870$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a small network consisting of 1 DC (Win2K). As the
> only server in my domain it is the root domain, global
> catalog server, etc.
>
> I would like to bring online another DC in the same
> domain, assign all the roles e.g. global catalog server,
> operations master, etc to this second DC server, and then
> finally decomission the original server.
>
> Ignoring the fact that a domain should ideally contain 2
> DC's - are there any glearing omissions in my plan. My
> main concern is that I understand that the first DC in a
> forest plays a special role and I am concerned that if I
> move everything across to the new DC, I might screw up the
> AD once I take the old DC offline.
>
> Any thoughts of comments welcome

Paul

Dave

Thanks for your reply. Thanks also for pointing out about
DNS - to be honest I had left this out of the equation but
you are quite correct, I will need to also transfer DNS to
the second server.

Paul

message