Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Question about RIS - Can't install the Network card after installation..

Question about RIS - Can't install the Network card after installation..

Miklos

Hello to all here...

I post this question on the Windows 2000 forum Installation (a lot time ago)
and no answers, I hope you can help me....

The main problem here is that I make a RIS Server for my enterprise with 2
choices: Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional..... When the users select
the Windows XP they have no problems (yes all the drives are there), but
with Windows 2000 no way.. we can't even install...

Well, searching in microsoft I found the KB315279: How to add a third-party
OEM Netword Adapter to an RIS Installation...

I made everything that is there... well I will present the steps here:

1. Run RISETUP and copy and Win2kPro cd as master image in folder Win2kPro
(Slipstream with Sp4).
3. Created a \DRV\NIC folder on the computer and gathered all drivers:
Pro100, Pro1000 there (mostly the *.cab, *.inf, *.sys).
3. created \$oem$\$1 under the s RIS Server and copied \drv\nic to it.
4. copied .inf's and .sys's to RIS SERVER - Win2kPro folder \i386.
Note: (following instructions from intel:
http://support.intel.com/support/net...0023-prd38.htm)
5. Also change the registry *.sif file in the \i386\templates folder....
with the parameters:
[Unnatended]
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
OemPreInstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath = drv\nic
6. Rebooted RIS server (easier then stopping and starting binlsvc).
7. PXE booted all clients: all can see the win2k image and start the
installation of the windows 2000 Pro Sp4.

However after finish the installation - Windows2000ProSP4 didn't install
anything (of the DRV\NIC Folder), why ? Not even the network drivers ? weird
?!!!!!

As you can see all the network cards are mostly Intel PRO 100....

And remember that if I install the computers with Windows XP (with the RIS
Server of course) all works perfectly....

Please help..

Thanks a lot

Miklos

Gui

Hey Miklos,

not sure what you're asking here.....

you wrote
"However after finish the installation - Windows2000ProSP4 didn't install
anything (of the DRV\NIC Folder), why ? Not even the network drivers ?
weird"

If you got past the installation then it's working.

"Miklos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello to all here...
>
> I post this question on the Windows 2000 forum Installation (a lot time

ago)
> and no answers, I hope you can help me....
>
> The main problem here is that I make a RIS Server for my enterprise with 2
> choices: Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional..... When the users

select
> the Windows XP they have no problems (yes all the drives are there), but
> with Windows 2000 no way.. we can't even install...
>
> Well, searching in microsoft I found the KB315279: How to add a

third-party
> OEM Netword Adapter to an RIS Installation...
>
> I made everything that is there... well I will present the steps here:
>
> 1. Run RISETUP and copy and Win2kPro cd as master image in folder Win2kPro
> (Slipstream with Sp4).
> 3. Created a \DRV\NIC folder on the computer and gathered all drivers:
> Pro100, Pro1000 there (mostly the *.cab, *.inf, *.sys).
> 3. created \$oem$\$1 under the s RIS Server and copied \drv\nic to it.
> 4. copied .inf's and .sys's to RIS SERVER - Win2kPro folder \i386.
> Note: (following instructions from intel:
> http://support.intel.com/support/net...0023-prd38.htm)
> 5. Also change the registry *.sif file in the \i386\templates folder....
> with the parameters:
> [Unnatended]
> DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
> OemPreInstall = yes
> OemPnpDriversPath = drv\nic
> 6. Rebooted RIS server (easier then stopping and starting binlsvc).
> 7. PXE booted all clients: all can see the win2k image and start the
> installation of the windows 2000 Pro Sp4.
>
> However after finish the installation - Windows2000ProSP4 didn't install
> anything (of the DRV\NIC Folder), why ? Not even the network drivers ?

weird
> ?!!!!!
>
> As you can see all the network cards are mostly Intel PRO 100....
>
> And remember that if I install the computers with Windows XP (with the RIS
> Server of course) all works perfectly....
>
> Please help..
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Miklos

Miklos

Hi..

I copy the .inf's and .sys's to the I386 folder in order that the RIS
runs...

But I don't understand why after finish the installation I don't have the
network drivers working not installed..
as you said... then how pass the installation... ( ? )..

This is the main problem here, I don't know what I am missing or what
happen.....

In another forum where I post they recomend me to also copy the *.cab files
to the I386 folder, but also is not working....

I am missing another step here??? or what?

Thanks

Miklos

"Gui" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Miklos,
>
> not sure what you're asking here.....
>
> you wrote
> "However after finish the installation - Windows2000ProSP4 didn't install
> anything (of the DRV\NIC Folder), why ? Not even the network drivers ?
> weird"
>
> If you got past the installation then it's working.
>

> "Miklos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello to all here...
> >
> > I post this question on the Windows 2000 forum Installation (a lot time

> ago)
> > and no answers, I hope you can help me....
> >
> > The main problem here is that I make a RIS Server for my enterprise with

2
> > choices: Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional..... When the users

> select
> > the Windows XP they have no problems (yes all the drives are there), but
> > with Windows 2000 no way.. we can't even install...
> >
> > Well, searching in microsoft I found the KB315279: How to add a

> third-party
> > OEM Netword Adapter to an RIS Installation...
> >
> > I made everything that is there... well I will present the steps here:
> >
> > 1. Run RISETUP and copy and Win2kPro cd as master image in folder

Win2kPro
> > (Slipstream with Sp4).
> > 3. Created a \DRV\NIC folder on the computer and gathered all drivers:
> > Pro100, Pro1000 there (mostly the *.cab, *.inf, *.sys).
> > 3. created \$oem$\$1 under the s RIS Server and copied \drv\nic to it.
> > 4. copied .inf's and .sys's to RIS SERVER - Win2kPro folder \i386.
> > Note: (following instructions from intel:
> > http://support.intel.com/support/net...0023-prd38.htm)
> > 5. Also change the registry *.sif file in the \i386\templates folder....
> > with the parameters:
> > [Unnatended]
> > DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
> > OemPreInstall = yes
> > OemPnpDriversPath = drv\nic
> > 6. Rebooted RIS server (easier then stopping and starting binlsvc).
> > 7. PXE booted all clients: all can see the win2k image and start the
> > installation of the windows 2000 Pro Sp4.
> >
> > However after finish the installation - Windows2000ProSP4 didn't install
> > anything (of the DRV\NIC Folder), why ? Not even the network drivers ?

> weird
> > ?!!!!!
> >
> > As you can see all the network cards are mostly Intel PRO 100....
> >
> > And remember that if I install the computers with Windows XP (with the

RIS
> > Server of course) all works perfectly....
> >
> > Please help..
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > Miklos

Miklos

Yeah, I think you are 100% right!!!!!!
I was thinking that the $OEM$ was inside the i386 folder!!!..
I even don't think about it..
and reading again the KB315279 that is what is saying there:
"At the same level as the i386 folder on the RIS image create a $oem$
folder..."

yes, to do more quickly I think another thing....

GREAT.. now works... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BRIAN!!..

Miklos

"Gui" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ezz5Rm%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's no need to copy the cab files.
> I've enclosed a few jpg's of the correct file structures.
>
> Just to clarify here
> The 3rd party oem driver should be created under the flat O/S image file
> ($oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC (rishelp.jpg)
> The sif file that you'll edit is in the templates folder of the RIS'd

image
> file. (rishelp2.jpg)

> -
>
> Creating this file structure is what allows the image to be deployed by

the
> RIS server. So if the image is making it's way to the client everything

is
> working as it should.
>

> What is the problem with the client PC after the RIS installation

completes?

?
> > > weird

the
> > RIS

Gui

You're welcom Miklos
Glad I could help

-Brian

news:%23oyWoNm%(E-Mail Removed)...

RIS question David MCSE 2 01-24-2007 06:14 PM
WinPE and RIS Prepped images =?Utf-8?B?VHVyZ2U=?= Microsoft Certification 0 08-23-2005 12:01 AM
Question about RIS cdavidson MCSE 2 11-14-2004 05:35 PM
Running RIS on a Web Server? =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?= Microsoft Certification 1 04-01-2004 05:59 PM

Advertisments