Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Stupid WINS Question

Stupid WINS Question

Not My Real Name

My brain is about to explode. I understand this stuff but something is not
making sense.

I know that DNS resolves IP addresses to host names.
I Know that WINS resolves NetBios names to IP addresses.
I know that each can be used with or without the other.
I know about HOST and LMHOST files, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have a TCP/IP network with DNS but not WINS. My computers and printers
each have a name (which I assume is a NetBios Name). How is it that I can
reference these devices by name without WINS?

For example, at a DOS prompt I can type \\Server\SharedFolder\ and get a
list of files.

How is it that 'Server' can be used in place of the IP address. I assume
DNS is doing this but I thought DNS needed WINS to resolve NetBios names.

And if not then why do we need WINS?

Thanks
Confused in LA

JaR

"Not My Real Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know that DNS resolves IP addresses to host names.

You just answered your own question right here

JaR
Thug #..XXII

Consultant

not in a windows 2000 environment, dns handles all resolution. you only need
wins if you are supporting pre-windows 2000 machines in your network.

--
Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
Lead Thug, Public Enemy #1

"Not My Real Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My brain is about to explode. I understand this stuff but something is not
> making sense.
>
> I know that DNS resolves IP addresses to host names.
> I Know that WINS resolves NetBios names to IP addresses.
> I know that each can be used with or without the other.
> I know about HOST and LMHOST files, yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
> I have a TCP/IP network with DNS but not WINS. My computers and printers
> each have a name (which I assume is a NetBios Name). How is it that I can
> reference these devices by name without WINS?
>
> For example, at a DOS prompt I can type \\Server\SharedFolder\ and get a
> list of files.
>
> How is it that 'Server' can be used in place of the IP address. I assume
> DNS is doing this but I thought DNS needed WINS to resolve NetBios names.
>
> And if not then why do we need WINS?
>
> Thanks
> Confused in LA

Not My Real Name

OK, got it. NetBT on W2k server.

Marko

And ticking the box "Enable Netbios resolution over
TCP/IP" helps also.

I too Don't know

If the network environment is Windows 2000, then you don't
need a Wins server to resolve host names, that is what
exactly happening in your situaation

VOLDAR

Let's say the following:
- although Microsoft say that WINS is not needed in an W2K
environment, from my experience I say it's needed. Only if
you think about connecting two sites and you'll have the
answer.

W2K Pro is based on the DNS resolution when looking for
resources in the network. So when you type \\server\share,
on a W2K computer, it's the DNS that responds first.

If client computer is W9x, and type the same address, the
WINS is checked first. That's the difference.

Until the trojans penetrate your perimeter and find every
box in it,thanks to NetBios, to dump their payload and OWN
your network.
Enjoy!

Ashley Wallace

Firstly think of your name resolution order

Cache
WINS
Broadcast
Lmhosts
Hosts
DNS

(i use the saying can we buy large hard disks to remember
this... from net+)

If you have a win2k server it will act as the master for
the nbt browse list on your network, and seeing as every
computer must have a name, the server will hold these
names and will respond to computers when they broadcast
with the ip (or mac) address of the machine you are
trying to communicate with.

Even if you have no WINS server installed, and you
haven't installed the netbios protocol on the specific
adapter; look under tcp/ip properties, goto the advanced
button, and then have a look under the wins tab. There is
a netbios setting to be enabled over tcp/ip.

just to clarify...

kit

It is my belief that wins is for down level clients like
9.x and NT 4.0. What type of clients do you have?

stupid, STUPID question! rincewind HTML 25 05-08-2009 01:07 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
WINS server not a WINS client Corrado Labinaz MCSE 2 03-07-2004 06:05 PM

Advertisments