Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-290 sucks!

70-290 sucks!

Okay everyone... I sucked it up and took the exam thinking
I was ready.... and I WAS.....

.....Microsoft didn't agree with me on this though.

Passing score was 700.... I got 684.

WHAT A CROCK OF !*%

This was the HARDEST exam I have ever taken to date (just
as most website reviews have stated). The testing center I
took this at was also a school and they mentioned that
most everyone that has taken this exam has not done well
at all.

They said they are nervous because they have people
attending their school that are almost ready for this exam
and now they dont know what they should do to make sure
they are trained enough.

Here is my review:

Exam 70-290
45 questions, 95 minute time limit
passing score of 700

1) The exam is EXTREMELY wordy and considering you only
have an average of 2 minutes per question, this needs to
be changed! Some of the questions take 2 minutes just to
read the scenario and all the answers!

2) There are dropdown answers and radio buttons that do
not respond good to mouse input.

3) There was a question on this exam that required knowege
of Visual Basic Script to complete. This is not ANYWHERE
on the exam objectives! They dont even include this in
their approved courseware! If I had gotten this question
correct, it would have meant a passing score!!

4) very vague answers! they ask you for a specific answer
to a scenario but only give you answers that contain vague
command line answers. How can I be expected to answer a
specific question to demonstrate real world knowlege if
they dont allow me to complete the answer with the correct
switches!

I have taken many many many practice exams and have never
experienced anything along the lines of these types of
questions.

All I know is I do not recommend anyone take this exam
without being 300% ready for it...... beware of items not
listed on their exam objectives..... I had heard rumors of
this but was still confused even though I KNEW it was on
there.

Good luck all!:

Don't You Wish

I passed this test in beta--wasn't as difficult as you describe. Perhaps,
you lack experience with the product.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:028f01c3cc00$aef08350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay everyone... I sucked it up and took the exam thinking
> I was ready.... and I WAS.....
>
> ....Microsoft didn't agree with me on this though.
>
> Passing score was 700.... I got 684.
>
> WHAT A CROCK OF !*%
>
> This was the HARDEST exam I have ever taken to date (just
> as most website reviews have stated). The testing center I
> took this at was also a school and they mentioned that
> most everyone that has taken this exam has not done well
> at all.
>
> They said they are nervous because they have people
> attending their school that are almost ready for this exam
> and now they dont know what they should do to make sure
> they are trained enough.
>
> Here is my review:
>
> Exam 70-290
> 45 questions, 95 minute time limit
> passing score of 700
>
> 1) The exam is EXTREMELY wordy and considering you only
> have an average of 2 minutes per question, this needs to
> be changed! Some of the questions take 2 minutes just to
> read the scenario and all the answers!
>
> 2) There are dropdown answers and radio buttons that do
> not respond good to mouse input.
>
> 3) There was a question on this exam that required knowege
> of Visual Basic Script to complete. This is not ANYWHERE
> on the exam objectives! They dont even include this in
> their approved courseware! If I had gotten this question
> correct, it would have meant a passing score!!
>
> 4) very vague answers! they ask you for a specific answer
> to a scenario but only give you answers that contain vague
> command line answers. How can I be expected to answer a
> specific question to demonstrate real world knowlege if
> they dont allow me to complete the answer with the correct
> switches!
>
> I have taken many many many practice exams and have never
> experienced anything along the lines of these types of
> questions.
>
> All I know is I do not recommend anyone take this exam
> without being 300% ready for it...... beware of items not
> listed on their exam objectives..... I had heard rumors of
> this but was still confused even though I KNEW it was on
> there.
>

> Good luck all!:

Try passing it now jackass.... beta is not the real exam.

This appears to be one of the more difficult of the MCP
exams.

http://mcpmag.com/reviews/Exams/article.asp?
EditorialsID=101

Don't You Wish

True, the beta test is twice as long--I had 85 questions--not the measly 45
questions you had. All of the questions on the real exam are on the beta
test.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03dd01c3cc28$48377ce0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try passing it now jackass.... beta is not the real exam.
>
> This appears to be one of the more difficult of the MCP
> exams.
>
> http://mcpmag.com/reviews/Exams/article.asp?
> EditorialsID=101

Dave

I took the eexam just before xmas and passed first time. It's not that bad
if u have experience. The one problem is there are questions on stuff that
isn't covered in any prep manuals.

"Don't You Wish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> True, the beta test is twice as long--I had 85 questions--not the measly

45
> questions you had. All of the questions on the real exam are on the beta
> test.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:03dd01c3cc28$48377ce0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try passing it now jackass.... beta is not the real exam.
> >
> > This appears to be one of the more difficult of the MCP
> > exams.
> >
> > http://mcpmag.com/reviews/Exams/article.asp?
> > EditorialsID=101

Mahmoud Ibrahim

I passed 292 and 296
the exam is not diffcult if you are using windows 2003 and you excersice
evry lab I think you will pass it well
But I agree for the vouge questions and drag and drop situation but this now
in all Microsoft Exams
Best wishes next time
Mahmoud Ibrahim
MCP+I, MCSA 2000/2003/Messaging , MCSE NT4/2000/2003

CompTIA Inet+
"Don't You Wish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> True, the beta test is twice as long--I had 85 questions--not the measly

45
> questions you had. All of the questions on the real exam are on the beta
> test.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:03dd01c3cc28$48377ce0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try passing it now jackass.... beta is not the real exam.
> >
> > This appears to be one of the more difficult of the MCP
> > exams.
> >
> > http://mcpmag.com/reviews/Exams/article.asp?
> > EditorialsID=101

Eric

I agree... All Microsoft exams are vague and confusing on
purpose. Truly. I am not just being facetious. MS wants
to make certification a premium title, so they make the
exams in such a way to try and make experience the
deciding factor. In fact, even experienced folks have
trouble. Anyway, I know it is frustrating and costly, but
I think the average person takes 2 attempts at most exams
to pass.

Chief

i think you are right in how difficult the exams are but i passed them with
the first try.
210.215.216.218
i think it is how you prepare for them.
i took a trainingcourse for 210 and 215 the other two was pure learning and
experimenting in my own small network.
however it worked.
don't look so desperate to the exams, you have to understand the logic
thought sitting behind every question.
in most questions there are given 2 completely wrong answers so you have to
decide between 2 insted of 4.
reading the press books (most people consider them not good enough) you will
see the way of thinking of ms.
of course you have to have luck as well

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01a201c3cfcc$82b7fdc0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I agree... All Microsoft exams are vague and confusing on
> purpose. Truly. I am not just being facetious. MS wants
> to make certification a premium title, so they make the
> exams in such a way to try and make experience the
> deciding factor. In fact, even experienced folks have
> trouble. Anyway, I know it is frustrating and costly, but
> I think the average person takes 2 attempts at most exams
> to pass.

SM

I recently took the test with no problems (Nov '03).
Smoked the test, but I'm (A). Used to MS tests and how to
avoid their traps and (B). Have extensive time in on the
products. The beta test questions are on the (as you call
it) real exam.
I actually found the 291 more difficult than the others,
but it's luck of the draw for difficult (thought
provoking) questions. You have to seperate the real world
(as it works), from (looks good on paper) Microsoft
rationale.

290 requires that you are solid in Disk Management,
Backups, basic understanding of permissions, GPO and
troubleshooting. Understanding Server Roles & Modes and
Performance monitoring/troubleshooting.

Be upset all you want and be convinced that this test is
out to get you, but why point the finger when it was not
and is not a difficult test to pass. It seems to me that
you fell prey to some of the detractors that
they "purposely" put in there. (Side note: Has anyone
ever figured out if Tess is a boy or a girl yet? *grin*).
And you're right, as I just said, THEY DO IT ON PURPOSE!

Just take a few days and rethink the types and style of
questions that you saw on that test and review that
information, plus the info that I put above. Or you could
just cry a river and feel that Microsoft is just picking
on you. Personally, don't let that get the best of you,
because you'll take it back into the test room with you
the next time you go! Don't let it affect you that way.
Good luck!

SM

Brat

http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5431.asp