Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Starting out in W2K

Starting out in W2K

scythe

What is the best way to go about self study on W2K if you are a newbie to
this specific OS (not new to computers, though) and you wish to pursue MCSA?

Is it enough to have a laptop with W2K on it and of course all the necessary
books (have 2 sets of MCSE books), along with CBT Nuggets CD's on W2K?

I know you need to study and get hands on experience with this OS to do well
on the tests.

Emil

It depends on what you already understand about
networking. You must be strong with the concepts. It is
a difficult exam, and many people fail it their first
time. You need to complete your study of all the core
exams before losing your $125 on the first exam.

Your laptop is not enough. You must have two PCs
connected with a patch cable, one running server and one
running pro. The exam also requires basic active
directory knowledge. Also, I would recommend getting one
wake-on-lan NIC to study for RIS.

I would say a good year of hands on Win2k is required.

Karl \Johnno\ Gustaf

"Emil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:008001c3af96$9314b970$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It depends on what you already understand about
> networking. You must be strong with the concepts. It is
> a difficult exam, and many people fail it their first
> time. You need to complete your study of all the core
> exams before losing your $125 on the first exam.
>
> Your laptop is not enough. You must have two PCs
> connected with a patch cable, one running server and one
> running pro. The exam also requires basic active
> directory knowledge. Also, I would recommend getting one
> wake-on-lan NIC to study for RIS.
>
> I would say a good year of hands on Win2k is required.

Another option if you have any spare dosh is to get a copy of VMWare
Workstation. Your PC's need to have plenty of RAM though.

In my home lab I have 3 PC's but with VMWare can have around 8
seperate nodes running simultaneously. I also use it on my
instructor's machine in the classroom at work. You can even configure
virtual shared disks and configure clustering.