Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > can't take off the read-only attrib for XP

can't take off the read-only attrib for XP

Bay

Hi,

I am trying to replace the laptop hard drive but I don't want to reinstall
everything over again, so I plan to create an image by using the ghost. I
don't have a adaptor to allow myself cloning the hard drive, so I am
creating the image to a shared folder within the domain. The shared folder
is located in the client machine within the domain. The shared folder has a
"read only" attribute for some reason I don't know why, everytime I checked
it off and it will be checked on again when I checked its properties again.
So now even I have the mapped drive floppy disk created by the ghost, I am
still not able to connect to the shared folder. The message said the file
is marked as read-only and request me to change the attribute. Why can't I
change the attribute permanently? What should I do?

Thanks

Billy

Eric Waters

One reason you might not able to uncheck the attribute is
because of a group or domain policy. Do you the user
rights to change attributes.

Ken Briscoe

"Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to replace the laptop hard drive but I don't want to reinstall
> everything over again, so I plan to create an image by using the ghost. I
> don't have a adaptor to allow myself cloning the hard drive, so I am
> creating the image to a shared folder within the domain. The shared

folder
> is located in the client machine within the domain. The shared folder has

> "read only" attribute for some reason I don't know why, everytime I

checked
> it off and it will be checked on again when I checked its properties

again.
> So now even I have the mapped drive floppy disk created by the ghost, I am
> still not able to connect to the shared folder. The message said the file
> is marked as read-only and request me to change the attribute. Why can't I
> change the attribute permanently? What should I do?
>
> Thanks
>
> Billy

Have you tried doing it from a command line? try the command "attrib"
syntax is: attrib <path\filename> -r
or attrib /? for more help

KB

Roger Abell

Wake up. On a folder that checkbox is only a switch used
to set/unset the attribute on contained files. Did you not get
a prompt to that effect when you used it ?

If you want to view/change the read-only attibute on folders
in XP or W2k3 you need to use the attrib command.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA