Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Which Exam Next?

Which Exam Next?

Neil Proctor

I currently have 70-210, 70-215, 70-216 and have failed
70-217 three times and am going to sit it again in 4
weeks. Reading into it, it appears that it would be more
benificial to take 70-218 and then do the upgrade exam to
windows 2003 MCSA. What exams would I then need to take
to complete my MCSE in windows 2003.
Basically what would be the best way for me to get on
track to complete my MCSE in windows 2003 given what I
allready have?

Regards

S. O'Brien

IMHO, I think you need to sit back and really think about what you want to
do. I am not saying that to be mean. However, you keep failing 217...
Active Directory... an integral component for Windows 2k + 2k3. Upgrading
to 2k3 at this point may not benefit you. I would advise that you inhale a
few AD books... pass 217 and stay on the 2k track until finished. Once
done, you can think about upgrading to 2k3 at that time.

The reason I am saying wait for completion of 2k is due to the fact that the
2k3 exams cover, extensively, the CHANGES of 2k3 (ie the differences between
2k and 2k3) and that may confuse you if you are just starting out. I would
say, stick with what you know... then look at upgrading. Besides... for
only 2 upgrade exams you get 4 certs (MCSE 2K, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K3, MCSA
2K3)...

--
Sue MCNGP #69
http://www.mcngp.tk

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

"Neil Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0a6701c38f07$3a8b5a20$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I currently have 70-210, 70-215, 70-216 and have failed
> 70-217 three times and am going to sit it again in 4
> weeks. Reading into it, it appears that it would be more
> benificial to take 70-218 and then do the upgrade exam to
> windows 2003 MCSA. What exams would I then need to take
> to complete my MCSE in windows 2003.
> Basically what would be the best way for me to get on
> track to complete my MCSE in windows 2003 given what I
> allready have?
>
> Regards

Maestro

It seems to me that you should be focusing you energies on
passing 70-217. You can worry about what to do after that
once you crossed your more immediate hurdle.

Marko

I agree with Maestro that you should focus on the problem
at hand rather than to allow other distractions to rob
your attention from the immediate goal.

My advice to you would be to assume nothing about 217 at
this point. Start fresh by looking at the exam objectives
and highlighting study that reflects extra time with your
weaknesses. Pick your reading material (which you would
read from start to finish, skimming only the blatantly
obvious knowledge you are 100% confident on) and then
determine the time you will set aside each day to meet
your learning objectives.

In other words: Plan. You have likely heard before that
those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

Now, put the following aside until you pass 217, then
reflect on these thoughts:

218 is your next step to MCSA and - YES - I think you are
on the right track to think that the 292 exam would be a
good logical choice after this for MCSA 2003.

However, given that you can very easily build on the
knowledge obtained from 210, 215, 216, 217 and 218 to
quickly knock down some design exams, you can get from
MCSA 2000 to get MCSE 2000 in a relatively short amount of
time.

SO - I would suggest you work towards some design exams
(like 219,220 or 221; you only need 2) for your MCSE.
Then do 292. Then 296 for MCSE 2003.

And Good Luck!

thanks for your help

Robert McDonnell

I am going to give you very different advise than the
previos posters.

I find it very hard to believe that you passed 216 and
have failed 217 three times. 217 was my first exam and I
passed it fine. I am only not getting around to 216.

OK enough of me and on to your situation. Take 218 and
get the MCSA. 218 is essentially a very broad hybrid of
215 and 217 with some 216 for flavor. Once you cover all
of the AD stuff in 218, it will be a good base for 217.
I highly recommend the Sybex Mark Minasi series book
entitled Group Policy, Profiles and Intellimirror which
should have most of what you are missing. Once you have
the 217 up to the eyeballs and pass, go directly to 219,
do not pass go, etc...

Good Luck.

RM

like my previous post, you may have to learn Indian.

news:10d101c3918b$6e543580$(E-Mail Removed)...